• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Northern VA open carry

WaltherP99

Hey everyone just found a couple of posts on youtube with this forum and decided it was time to join. I moved 2 years ago from NY to VA and never got a va drivers license. since than i have purchased a handgun private party from a friend and since than been open carrying with a full clip and nothing chambered. If i was to get stopped or questioned am i still in the right? I do have an address and certain licenses with a va address but still have my ny drivers license. Any info or anything else that i should know i would appreciate it

architect

Welcome to VA

You might get better results posting in the Virginia forum, scroll down on the opening page.

Most of your questions have been answered here many times by people who have done a far better job of it than I can. However, the basic reality is that OC is not prohibited in VA, if you can legally possess a firearm in a particular situation, you can OC it. There are certain narrow exceptions, e.g. state parks, and in a car on K-12 school grounds, and you should familiarize yourself with these.

Also, there is no prohibition against carrying loaded (I define this as with a loaded chamber), nor are you required to carry ID or show it to law enforcement (identifying yourself is not the same thing as showing a piece of paper). The police may stop and question you if they have reasonable suspicion that a crime has been or is about to be committed. The simple act of OC is not grounds for suspicion as it is a patently legal act (unless, e.g. you look under 18).

Yes it is complicated. You are very brave for OC'ing without learning some of the ropes. I submit few learn them all. I'm certainly not one of them, but the more you learn, the lower your risk

Some of those who can help you can be found at the VCDL meeting, see www.vcdl.org.

Finally, and I'm sure I won't be the last to tell you, "clip" is spelled em aye gee aye zee eye en e. :)

Last edited:

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
Open carry is the normal, or default, mode of carrying a defensive arm in Virginia. You should have applied for your VA driver's license two years ago when you moved here. I am not familiar with the laws regarding the failure to do this. Virginia is the most lenient state in the South for those who chose to carry and very gun-friendly. I OC every day and almost 100% of the time I carry. I have only had one negative experience in the three years I have been OC'ing and that was from a customer in the Haymarket McDonald's who claimed to be a retired LEO, but judging by his accent, I would guess he was not native.

As architect said, you should peruse the Virginia forum for a wealth of info on this and a bunch of other topics of interest. Enjoy and welcome to freedom.

simmonsjoe

Welcome to freedom

Virginia is a good state. C'mon over to the VA forum and find an open carry dining event so you can meet some friends.:) Also it's a good place to get more state-specific laws/suggestions.

VA residency status is not relevant to OC in VA. You do not have to provide ANY govt issued ID in VA.

If your P99 is an AS model I am very jealous. I really want one.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
Hey everyone just found a couple of posts on youtube with this forum and decided it was time to join. I moved 2 years ago from NY to VA and never got a va drivers license. since than i have purchased a handgun private party from a friend and since than been open carrying with a full clip and nothing chambered. If i was to get stopped or questioned am i still in the right? I do have an address and certain licenses with a va address but still have my ny drivers license. Any info or anything else that i should know i would appreciate it

Yeah, check out the Virginia post on the 4th Annual Burke Lake Park picnic on Saturday. Sign up and come on out!