Thread: northern va open carry question

northern va open carry question

Hey everyone just found a couple of posts on youtube with this forum and decided it was time to join. I moved 2 years ago from NY to VA and never got a va drivers license. since than i have purchased a handgun private party from a friend and since than been open carrying with a full clip and nothing chambered. If i was to get stopped or questioned am i still in the right? I do have an address and certain licenses with a va address but still have my ny drivers license. Any info or anything else that i should know i would appreciate it

Welcome to the forums, first of all!

As far as carrying, I'm pretty sure you are just fine doing that. You can also carry with a round chambered, many will argue that without a round chambered you may as well not be carrying. However, I'm not sure if the initial purchase was legal or not. Others on here are much more knowledgeable and will be able to help you even more.

Lastly, its a MAGAZINE, not a clip. Personal pet peeve.
    Last edited by tdbarge; 07-13-2010 at 07:38 PM. Reason: spelling, just had surgery, painkillers and all that ;)

lol, thank you for a quick response, wont happen again. Im pretty sure the sale was ok. the guy who i got it from was pretty into his guns and seemed to know all his stuff.

Over 18?

There are some limited restrictions: K-12 Schools, courthouses and places of worship while a service is going on. This webpage has the appropriate links to the statutes.

Don't carry concealed until you get a permit to do so.

Other than that, all you need is a holster.

thank you. Sorry i just missed the picnic. i didnt know this forum even existed till yesterday. A whole bunch of my friends would have went.

Quote Originally Posted by WaltherP99 View Post
    thank you. Sorry i just missed the picnic. i didnt know this forum even existed till yesterday. A whole bunch of my friends would have went.
    If you're referring to the picnic videos on youtube, that was from a few years ago when FCPD showed up with a helicopter
    In your private sale how did the seller know you were a VA resident?

eta:
    New Residents

Within 60 days of moving here, you must obtain a Virginia driver's license.

http://www.dmv.state.va.us/webdoc/ci...ligibility.asp

that is unless of course you're .mil
    Last edited by nova; 07-13-2010 at 08:10 PM.

no not .mil, and hes in the F.D with me. Im aware of the 60days but have worked with the P.D's in the area and have also gotten pulled over with my n.y license. I have had no issues with it and i still have it for my personal reasons.
    Last edited by WaltherP99; 07-13-2010 at 08:51 PM.

no not .mil, and hes in the F.D with me. Im aware of the 60days but have worked with the P.D's in the area and have also gotten pulled over with my n.y license. I have had no issues with it and i still have it for my personal reasons.
    Welcome to the site.

Hey everyone just found a couple of posts on youtube with this forum and decided it was time to join. I moved 2 years ago from NY to VA and never got a va drivers license. since than i have purchased a handgun private party from a friend and since than been open carrying with a full clip and nothing chambered. If i was to get stopped or questioned am i still in the right? I do have an address and certain licenses with a va address but still have my ny drivers license. Any info or anything else that i should know i would appreciate it
    Welcome to Virginia. You will find that you have more freedoms here than in NY. I can't help but make a shameless promotion of the VCDL and suggest that you consider joining if you haven't already. Anyone that can legally possess a handgun can also legally <b>open carry</b> it in VA. Other posters have wisely pointed out that there are <i>some</i> places you can't carry. Become familar with those and you'll be fine.

And DO get a permit if you wish to carry your sidearm in the concealed mode.

thank you and will do. stay safe

Quote Originally Posted by 6L6GC View Post
    Welcome to Virginia. You will find that you have more freedoms here than in NY. I can't help but make a shameless promotion of the VCDL and suggest that you consider joining if you haven't already. Anyone that can legally possess a handgun can also legally <b>open carry</b> it in VA. Other posters have wisely pointed out that there are <i>some</i> places you can't carry. Become familar with those and you'll be fine.

And DO get a permit if you wish to carry your sidearm in the concealed mode.
    Those are the format tags for the old forum software. This new forum uses square brackets:

PHP Code:
    [b]bold[/b]
    [
    i]italics[/i
    TFred

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by tdbarge View Post
    its a MAGAZINE, not a clip
    Not really a pet peave but if you are hear to learn or to teach, it is good to call things by their correct name. It will add to your credibility as well. If you start quoting law to someone and you say CLIP when they know it is a magazine they will question everything else you said even if it was 100% on point.

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Im aware of the 60days but have worked with the P.D's in the area and have also gotten pulled over with my n.y license. I have had no issues with it and i still have it for my personal reasons.
    but, its the law.

James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Ya no one is going to care about your dl (and residency?) until tax time..

Founder's Club Member
    WaltherP99,

You will find a lot of state gun law info at the VA State Police website.

Helpfully, they cite the actual statute, and I think even provide a link to the text of the actual statute.

http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms.shtm

Quote Originally Posted by ProShooter View Post
    but, its the law.

You're a Virginian now. Cut the cord and don't look back!

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Quote Originally Posted by zoom6zoom View Post
    You're a Virginian now. Cut the cord and don't look back!
    lol
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA

See the thread about the fourth annual Burke Lake Park picnic and join us on Saturday. Just post what you're going to bring, and how many people, and I'll take it from there.

Welcome.
    As someone who also moved from NY to VA, I must say I love it here.
    Welcome to OC and VA!
    -jero