Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: northern va open carry question

  1. #1
    Regular Member WaltherP99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Haymarket VA
    Posts
    6

    northern va open carry question

    Hey everyone just found a couple of posts on youtube with this forum and decided it was time to join. I moved 2 years ago from NY to VA and never got a va drivers license. since than i have purchased a handgun private party from a friend and since than been open carrying with a full clip and nothing chambered. If i was to get stopped or questioned am i still in the right? I do have an address and certain licenses with a va address but still have my ny drivers license. Any info or anything else that i should know i would appreciate it

  2. #2
    Regular Member tdbarge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Alexandria, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    48
    Welcome to the forums, first of all!

    As far as carrying, I'm pretty sure you are just fine doing that. You can also carry with a round chambered, many will argue that without a round chambered you may as well not be carrying. However, I'm not sure if the initial purchase was legal or not. Others on here are much more knowledgeable and will be able to help you even more.

    Lastly, its a MAGAZINE, not a clip. Personal pet peeve.
    Last edited by tdbarge; 07-13-2010 at 07:38 PM. Reason: spelling, just had surgery, painkillers and all that ;)

  3. #3
    Regular Member WaltherP99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Haymarket VA
    Posts
    6
    lol, thank you for a quick response, wont happen again. Im pretty sure the sale was ok. the guy who i got it from was pretty into his guns and seemed to know all his stuff.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Eastern Prince William Co. VA, ,
    Posts
    306

    Over 18?

    There are some limited restrictions: K-12 Schools, courthouses and places of worship while a service is going on. This webpage has the appropriate links to the statutes.

    Don't carry concealed until you get a permit to do so.

    Other than that, all you need is a holster.

  5. #5
    Regular Member WaltherP99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Haymarket VA
    Posts
    6
    thank you. Sorry i just missed the picnic. i didnt know this forum even existed till yesterday. A whole bunch of my friends would have went.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    US
    Posts
    3,156
    Quote Originally Posted by WaltherP99 View Post
    thank you. Sorry i just missed the picnic. i didnt know this forum even existed till yesterday. A whole bunch of my friends would have went.
    If you're referring to the picnic videos on youtube, that was from a few years ago when FCPD showed up with a helicopter
    In your private sale how did the seller know you were a VA resident?

    eta:
    New Residents

    Within 60 days of moving here, you must obtain a Virginia driver's license.

    http://www.dmv.state.va.us/webdoc/ci...ligibility.asp

    that is unless of course you're .mil
    Last edited by nova; 07-13-2010 at 08:10 PM.

  7. #7
    Regular Member WaltherP99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Haymarket VA
    Posts
    6
    no not .mil, and hes in the F.D with me. Im aware of the 60days but have worked with the P.D's in the area and have also gotten pulled over with my n.y license. I have had no issues with it and i still have it for my personal reasons.
    Last edited by WaltherP99; 07-13-2010 at 08:51 PM.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    US
    Posts
    3,156
    Quote Originally Posted by WaltherP99 View Post
    no not .mil, and hes in the F.D with me. Im aware of the 60days but have worked with the P.D's in the area and have also gotten pulled over with my n.y license. I have had no issues with it and i still have it for my personal reasons.
    Welcome to the site.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Newport News, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    492
    Quote Originally Posted by WaltherP99 View Post
    Hey everyone just found a couple of posts on youtube with this forum and decided it was time to join. I moved 2 years ago from NY to VA and never got a va drivers license. since than i have purchased a handgun private party from a friend and since than been open carrying with a full clip and nothing chambered. If i was to get stopped or questioned am i still in the right? I do have an address and certain licenses with a va address but still have my ny drivers license. Any info or anything else that i should know i would appreciate it
    Welcome to Virginia. You will find that you have more freedoms here than in NY. I can't help but make a shameless promotion of the VCDL and suggest that you consider joining if you haven't already. Anyone that can legally possess a handgun can also legally <b>open carry</b> it in VA. Other posters have wisely pointed out that there are <i>some</i> places you can't carry. Become familar with those and you'll be fine.

    And DO get a permit if you wish to carry your sidearm in the concealed mode.

  10. #10
    Regular Member WaltherP99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Haymarket VA
    Posts
    6
    thank you and will do. stay safe

  11. #11
    Regular Member TFred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Most historic town in, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    7,705
    Quote Originally Posted by 6L6GC View Post
    Welcome to Virginia. You will find that you have more freedoms here than in NY. I can't help but make a shameless promotion of the VCDL and suggest that you consider joining if you haven't already. Anyone that can legally possess a handgun can also legally <b>open carry</b> it in VA. Other posters have wisely pointed out that there are <i>some</i> places you can't carry. Become familar with those and you'll be fine.

    And DO get a permit if you wish to carry your sidearm in the concealed mode.
    Those are the format tags for the old forum software. This new forum uses square brackets:

    PHP Code:
    [b]bold[/b]
    [
    i]italics[/i
    TFred

  12. #12
    Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    4,848
    Quote Originally Posted by tdbarge View Post
    its a MAGAZINE, not a clip
    Not really a pet peave but if you are hear to learn or to teach, it is good to call things by their correct name. It will add to your credibility as well. If you start quoting law to someone and you say CLIP when they know it is a magazine they will question everything else you said even if it was 100% on point.

  13. #13
    Regular Member ProShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Posts
    4,671
    Quote Originally Posted by WaltherP99 View Post
    Im aware of the 60days but have worked with the P.D's in the area and have also gotten pulled over with my n.y license. I have had no issues with it and i still have it for my personal reasons.
    but, its the law.

    James Reynolds

    NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    184
    Ya no one is going to care about your dl (and residency?) until tax time..

  15. #15
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fairfax Co., VA
    Posts
    18,766
    WaltherP99,

    You will find a lot of state gun law info at the VA State Police website.

    Helpfully, they cite the actual statute, and I think even provide a link to the text of the actual statute.

    http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms.shtm

  16. #16
    Regular Member zoom6zoom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Dale City, VA, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,694
    Quote Originally Posted by ProShooter View Post
    but, its the law.

    You're a Virginian now. Cut the cord and don't look back!

  17. #17
    Regular Member ProShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Posts
    4,671
    Quote Originally Posted by zoom6zoom View Post
    You're a Virginian now. Cut the cord and don't look back!
    lol
    James Reynolds

    NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

  18. #18
    Founder's Club Member Tess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    3,765
    Quote Originally Posted by WaltherP99 View Post
    Hey everyone just found a couple of posts on youtube with this forum and decided it was time to join. I moved 2 years ago from NY to VA and never got a va drivers license. since than i have purchased a handgun private party from a friend and since than been open carrying with a full clip and nothing chambered. If i was to get stopped or questioned am i still in the right? I do have an address and certain licenses with a va address but still have my ny drivers license. Any info or anything else that i should know i would appreciate it

    See the thread about the fourth annual Burke Lake Park picnic and join us on Saturday. Just post what you're going to bring, and how many people, and I'll take it from there.

  19. #19
    Regular Member Jero1987's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Lynchburg, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    191
    Welcome.
    As someone who also moved from NY to VA, I must say I love it here.
    Welcome to OC and VA!
    -jero

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •