• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

northern va open carry question

WaltherP99

Hey everyone just found a couple of posts on youtube with this forum and decided it was time to join. I moved 2 years ago from NY to VA and never got a va drivers license. since than i have purchased a handgun private party from a friend and since than been open carrying with a full clip and nothing chambered. If i was to get stopped or questioned am i still in the right? I do have an address and certain licenses with a va address but still have my ny drivers license. Any info or anything else that i should know i would appreciate it

tdbarge

Welcome to the forums, first of all!

As far as carrying, I'm pretty sure you are just fine doing that. You can also carry with a round chambered, many will argue that without a round chambered you may as well not be carrying. However, I'm not sure if the initial purchase was legal or not. Others on here are much more knowledgeable and will be able to help you even more.

Lastly, its a MAGAZINE, not a clip. Personal pet peeve. ;)

Last edited:

WaltherP99

lol, thank you for a quick response, wont happen again. Im pretty sure the sale was ok. the guy who i got it from was pretty into his guns and seemed to know all his stuff.

Don Barnett

Over 18?

There are some limited restrictions: K-12 Schools, courthouses and places of worship while a service is going on. This webpage has the appropriate links to the statutes.

Don't carry concealed until you get a permit to do so.

Other than that, all you need is a holster.

WaltherP99

thank you. Sorry i just missed the picnic. i didnt know this forum even existed till yesterday. A whole bunch of my friends would have went.

nova

thank you. Sorry i just missed the picnic. i didnt know this forum even existed till yesterday. A whole bunch of my friends would have went.

If you're referring to the picnic videos on youtube, that was from a few years ago when FCPD showed up with a helicopter :D
In your private sale how did the seller know you were a VA resident?

eta:
New Residents

Within 60 days of moving here, you must obtain a Virginia driver's license.

http://www.dmv.state.va.us/webdoc/citizen/drivers/eligibility.asp

that is unless of course you're .mil

Last edited:

WaltherP99

no not .mil, and hes in the F.D with me. Im aware of the 60days but have worked with the P.D's in the area and have also gotten pulled over with my n.y license. I have had no issues with it and i still have it for my personal reasons.

Last edited:

nova

no not .mil, and hes in the F.D with me. Im aware of the 60days but have worked with the P.D's in the area and have also gotten pulled over with my n.y license. I have had no issues with it and i still have it for my personal reasons.

Welcome to the site. :cool:

6L6GC

Hey everyone just found a couple of posts on youtube with this forum and decided it was time to join. I moved 2 years ago from NY to VA and never got a va drivers license. since than i have purchased a handgun private party from a friend and since than been open carrying with a full clip and nothing chambered. If i was to get stopped or questioned am i still in the right? I do have an address and certain licenses with a va address but still have my ny drivers license. Any info or anything else that i should know i would appreciate it

Welcome to Virginia. You will find that you have more freedoms here than in NY. I can't help but make a shameless promotion of the VCDL and suggest that you consider joining if you haven't already. Anyone that can legally possess a handgun can also legally <b>open carry</b> it in VA. Other posters have wisely pointed out that there are <i>some</i> places you can't carry. Become familar with those and you'll be fine.

And DO get a permit if you wish to carry your sidearm in the concealed mode.

TFred

Welcome to Virginia. You will find that you have more freedoms here than in NY. I can't help but make a shameless promotion of the VCDL and suggest that you consider joining if you haven't already. Anyone that can legally possess a handgun can also legally <b>open carry</b> it in VA. Other posters have wisely pointed out that there are <i>some</i> places you can't carry. Become familar with those and you'll be fine.

And DO get a permit if you wish to carry your sidearm in the concealed mode.
Those are the format tags for the old forum software. This new forum uses square brackets:

PHP:
[b]bold[/b]
[i]italics[/i]

TFred

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
its a MAGAZINE, not a clip

Not really a pet peave but if you are hear to learn or to teach, it is good to call things by their correct name. It will add to your credibility as well. If you start quoting law to someone and you say CLIP when they know it is a magazine they will question everything else you said even if it was 100% on point.

Tess

Founder's Club Member

See the thread about the fourth annual Burke Lake Park picnic and join us on Saturday. Just post what you're going to bring, and how many people, and I'll take it from there.