• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Going to visit Ohio

Kloutier

I am going to visit family in Ohio in a few months and just wondered if there was a good crash coarse for OCing, and perhaps some tips?

I am from Utah and with the exception of CA Oc seems to be a bit more accepted in the west.

Eagle Eye

South end of the Gunshine State, Florida, USA
WWW.HANDGUNLAW.US is the website to consult. I'm here in Ohio now and it's a pain to carry because signs are law and anyone can post a sign and you have to obey it or get popped by the police. Also places that sell Alcohol for compsumption with a Class "D" liicense is off limits. That means places like Applebees and Chili's. Study the Ohio laws referenced in handgunlaw.us and commit it to memory. I'm from Florida and we have complete preemption and signs dont mean anything. Just wish we had open carry there. Leaving in the morning going home and back to easier carry. Good luck.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
I am going to visit family in Ohio in a few months and just wondered if there was a good crash coarse for OCing, and perhaps some tips?...
Voice recorder (minimum), video recorder (optimum), and understand that you may be threatened or charged with the following:

ORC 2917.11 - Disorderly Conduct

ORC 2917.31 Inducing Panic

despite the fact that OC is specifically legal in Ohio:
http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/gp9.68

The laws for CCing in Ohio are found on the Attorney General's website:
http://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/...ations/2009-Concealed-Carry-Laws-Booklet.aspx

Also, DO NOT have loaded mags, clips, etc. in your vehicle for anything other than your otherwise legally transported HANDGUNS.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:

JimMullinsWVCDL

State Researcher
No OC in a Vehicle in Ohio Without a CHL

So A bit confused on this last point. Am I allowed to OC in a car with a mag in with out one in the tube?
Not without a concealed handgun license.

Under Ohio Rev. Code § 2923.16, a person may not possess or transport any firearm in a vehicle unless (1) the firearm is "unloaded" (defined in O.R.C. § 2923.16(K)(5)(a) as "[n]o ammunition is in the firearm in question, and no ammunition is loaded into a magazine or speed loader that may be used with the firearm in question and that is located anywhere within the vehicle in question, without regard to where ammunition otherwise is located within the vehicle in question. [However,] ammunition held in stripper-clips or in en-bloc clips is not considered ammunition that is loaded into a magazine or speed loader.") and transported in one of the ways specified in O.R.C. § 2923.16(C) or (2) the firearm is a handgun, the person has an Ohio concealed handgun license or a concealed handgun license issued by a state with which Ohio has reciprocity and the handgun is carried in accordance with O.R.C. § 2923.16(E).

Ohio's car carry rules are absurd and constitute a legal minefield for visitors to Ohio from other states. Violations of most of these rules are punishable as FELONIES :shocker: and thus are not to be taken lightly.

press1280

I am going to visit family in Ohio in a few months and just wondered if there was a good crash coarse for OCing, and perhaps some tips?

I am from Utah and with the exception of CA Oc seems to be a bit more accepted in the west.

Hopefully you have your UT permit just to cover things like vehicle travel and such, even if you only plan on OCing.

Deanimator

To reiterate in the simplest terms:

If you don't have an Ohio Concealed Handgun License (CHL) or recognized equivalent:

• You may not have a loaded firearm in a vehicle.
  • You may not have loaded magazines or speedloaders in a vehicle.
You may NEVER have loaded long gun magazines in a vehicle, whether you have a CHL or not.

When open carrying outside of a vehicle, you are STRONGLY advised to use a standard Outside the Waist Band (OWB) holster WITHOUT A FLAP. People have been arrested for unlawful CCW for both carrying in a military style flap holster and for using an uncovered Inside the Waist Band (IWB) holster.

An unloaded firearm and unloaded magazines and speedloaders in the trunk, especially in a gun case should be completely fine when driving.

Last edited: