• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

"Drop your weapon!" What to do when confronted by cops?

kwikrnu

Banned
There have been many threads discussing what to do when confronted by cops while carrying a handgun. Taking into account the recent cop shooting of Erik Scott at the Las Vegas Nevada Costco I think it is safe to say that complying with a police command to drop the weapon may be a bad idea unless the firearm is actually in the hand. Slowly raising the arms palm forward may be the best way to avoid dying.

Forum post about the incident.

News article channel 8 ( KLAS ), 7-10-10.

News article channel 8, 7-13-10.

News article channel 8, 7-13-10.

Las vegas Review Journal ( LVRJ ), 7-12-10.

Las Vegas Review Journal, 7-14-10.

Channel 3 face to face, 7-13-10,ACLU attorney, see blocks 2 & 3.

Interview with the father, lvrj, 7-15-2010.

Pay attention to the comments

Last edited:

6L6GC

I agree

"dropping" a loaded handgun couldn't be a good idea. Also, if a cop has you at gun point it may be advisable not to draw a weapon in order to drop it. If I found myself in that situation I'd ask the cop if I could LAY the gun on the ground while it is still in the holster. Undo the belt, slide the holster off and lay it on the ground with the gun still in it. Removing the gun from the holster couldn't be good while at gun point of a nervous person/cop

heresyourdipstickjimmy

Why oh why can't folks on this board STOP stretching negative articles with obvious criminal activity into the "what if" or attacks on lawful carry?

These articles have absolutely nothing to do with a LEO ordering you to "drop your weapon" as it would pertain to lawful carry. If you're given that order, then you're obviously unholstered and should expect the order at that point.

So here's a suggestion for the shoot-scenario. IF for some major reason you've had to draw your weapon and a LEO orders you to drop your weapon. DO NOT drop the weapon, it's dangerous. Carefully place the weapon on the deck (ground for you civilians) with the muzzle pointed AWAY from you and the officer. Verbally communicate to the officer that you'll take 2 side-strides away from the firearm to prevent it from being kicked away and put safe distance in play for the officer.

On the holstered situation, NEVER unholster the firearm, even if the LEO orders you to do so. You'll be putting yourself at the hazard following that order and any sudden movement at that point can get you shot. If there's cause for them to lawfully disarm you (running your SN or "officer safety" are not lawful reasons, they actually violates the 14th Amendment for search and seizure), then let the LEO do just that and clearly communicate that if they try to get you to unholster.

Phoenix David

If they say drop it, I'm dropping it. Todays modern quality firearms will not discharge when dropped. Jennings, Hi-Point might go off, but if your a OC or CCW you should have more sense then to carry crap

kwikrnu

Banned
Why oh why can't folks on this board STOP stretching negative articles with obvious criminal activity into the "what if" or attacks on lawful carry?

These articles have absolutely nothing to do with a LEO ordering you to "drop your weapon" as it would pertain to lawful carry. If you're given that order, then you're obviously unholstered and should expect the order at that point.

So here's a suggestion for the shoot-scenario. IF for some major reason you've had to draw your weapon and a LEO orders you to drop your weapon. DO NOT drop the weapon, it's dangerous. Carefully place the weapon on the deck (ground for you civilians) with the muzzle pointed AWAY from you and the officer. Verbally communicate to the officer that you'll take 2 side-strides away from the firearm to prevent it from being kicked away and put safe distance in play for the officer.

On the holstered situation, NEVER unholster the firearm, even if the LEO orders you to do so. You'll be putting yourself at the hazard following that order and any sudden movement at that point can get you shot. If there's cause for them to lawfully disarm you (running your SN or "officer safety" are not lawful reasons, they actually violates the 14th Amendment for search and seizure), then let the LEO do just that and clearly communicate that if they try to get you to unholster.

What criminal activity? The man who was shot did nothing wrong, the cops shot him in cold blood after telling him to drop a gun he didn't have in his hand.

Seven months ago I was in a similar situation where the leo was pointing a shotgun at my face. I was lucky he didn't shoot after he told me to drop my handgun which was slung at the time. Next time I'm going to put my arms and hands in the air and not put my hands anywhere near my handgun. After reading witness statements I came to understand that when a witness sees a handgun being removed (even as ordered) it can be interpreted as a threat.

Last edited:

Dreamer

I'll wait for the video before I pass judgment on this one...

Most eye-witness in these sorts of situations are actually LESS trustworthy than the police.

But video never lies, doesn't get confused, and can't be colored by pre-conceived beliefs...

All that said, I think perhaps Costco needs to be the next venue for some REALLY big "empty holster" demonstrations...

Last edited:

Brimstone Baritone

Generally speaking, I'm not taking my gun out of my holster unless I plan on using it. I'm not taking my holster off unless I'm at home.

I would hope that an officer would have more sense than to order me to drop something I'm not holding, but if he did I would have to respectfully tell him that my hands aren't moving. If I'm shot for NOT drawing a weapon, I'd like to think my wife will be well provided for.

Anthony_I_Am

I agree with other posts here, that unless a gun is in your hand, it would be impractical to "drop it". Simply putting your hands over your head would be a safer alternative.

What about the witness across the street that couldn't hear the officer tell you to drop your weapon but testifies that he saw the officer approached you and you drew your weapon?

I'd simply raise my hands over my head and tell the officer I'm not touching my weapon.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Cop wants me to drop my handgun that is still in the holster? Be prepared for an ugly sight, as I'm going to drop it while it is still in the holster which is attached to the belt that was up until that moment holding my pants up. And I'm doing that with my gun hand high in the air, using only the hand on the side opposite my holster.

Just like in the cowboy movies, except their gunbelt was not attached to their pants.

stay safe.