Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 90 Seconds in July,part 1

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar

90 Seconds in July,part 1

Imagine standing in line at the corner store. A gunman runs in and within 5 seconds, shoots the owner twice and is turning his gun on you and the other customers. The Police can’t save you, the gunman doesn’t want witnesses, in short you’re dead….unless you or someone is armed. Then you have a fighting chance.

Part one of this Documentary takes you through the first few seconds of this true story.
    The man who saved so many lives on that day is a country fellow. He doesn’t have a concealed weapons permit and is openly carrying his handgun. This is perfectly legal in Virginia and the ranks of OC’ers are growing every day. Many of us from the country have been doing it all our lives.

He is the only thing between life and death for the ten innocent citizens in that store. For those ten people, the next 90 seconds seem like an eternity. For the would be killer, it was!
    http://news.oldva.org/

Nicely done and put together! I caught it when you just put it on OVN and I was about to start griping that the video was still set to private... but I figured I'd give you more than 30 seconds to get it straight.

I've added it to my Facebook feed but I only have about half a handful of people on there now that I remade it under a pseudonym. I look forward to the DVD. I think I might get an extra or two to give out.
    Last edited by Curtis; 07-13-2010 at 11:32 PM.

Founder's Club Member - Moderator longwatch's Avatar
    Good stuff, waiting for part II

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Every time I see parts of this, it is like I am living it.

Just further proof of why you should never leave home without it.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Part 2 will take it through ther rest of the fight which is interesting. That could have gone either way.

This made me think while I was making it.
    It was fast.
    He was using what I consider the ultimate manstopping caliber, 45 Colt. A lot more wll come out about that .

This guy took multiple hits and was still going strong.

There is a reason I carry a 44 magnum and after doing this, won't carry anything lighter than 45ACP ever again.

But like I said, there's a lot more later on.

There's also a surprise bit of information at the end of 2. There was another casualty in this mess.

Founder's Club Member
    Peter, nice work, can't wait for part 2. I would like to offer some constructive criticism if you don't mind. I think it would be more polished if you would lose the scrolling dialog. It moves entirely too slowly and it is hard to read, and listen to your narrative at the same time--too busy. All that is needed is your narative, and Johns account.

Thank you so much for taking the time to do this. I've done a little video editing in my day, and I can't say I enjoyed it. It is time consuming work for sure.

Brian

I am ready for part 2!
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Good stuff. Add me to the list of folks waiting anxiously for part two!

I guess I'm going to be the lone voice of dissent.

WTF was that during the first minute and 45 seconds? How did that stuff relate to the incident? How did it even enhance the drama of this incident?

Most of what I got out of the introduction was a large does of wondering what race had to do with this, and why the intro stuff was concentrating so heavily on the black community. Then you threw in the Charlie Chaplin (?) hillbilly chase scene, which left me wondering even more why that was there.

If you were to cut the introduction I'd say you had an informative video that makes it abundantly clear that there is a chance that things can go horribly bad in an instant and that but for the presence of a good man with a gun there would have been a massacre.

I was thinking of sending this as a PM, but the more I mulled it over the more I decided that it ought to go out publically. I really am curious as to why you included the introduction, and what others think of the introduction and how/if they see it fiting with the rest of the video.

stay safe.

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    I guess I'm going to be the lone voice of dissent.

WTF was that during the first minute and 45 seconds? How did that stuff relate to the incident? How did it even enhance the drama of this incident?

Most of what I got out of the introduction was a large does of wondering what race had to do with this, and why the intro stuff was concentrating so heavily on the black community. Then you threw in the Charlie Chaplin (?) hillbilly chase scene, which left me wondering even more why that was there.

If you were to cut the introduction I'd say you had an informative video that makes it abundantly clear that there is a chance that things can go horribly bad in an instant and that but for the presence of a good man with a gun there would have been a massacre.

I was thinking of sending this as a PM, but the more I mulled it over the more I decided that it ought to go out publically. I really am curious as to why you included the introduction, and what others think of the introduction and how/if they see it fiting with the rest of the video.

stay safe.
    There is a slider at the bottom of the screen Skid. Just move it to the right.
    There is a version of this without the introductory clip. That's for the groups that wll use it for instruction.

Now why put it in in the first Place?
    There are a couple of reasons. When I join all three parts, I have to have a place for the credits. The music license requires.

Second, I like it.

Third, there is a meaning in the introductory clip. I may be the only one that understands it, but I do.

Forth, this is the most multiracial shooting I can think of.
    The shooter was black, on drugs, from a predominantly black neighborhood. Hillbillys? Where do you think John was from.

There is a lot that was included or not included in this. There are some interesting things about Grooms Parents. I didn't include it because I didn't think I should.

Some interesting things about the Shooter. Not included.

I suppose the answer to Why I included the opening Clip is the same as why I have renention straps on my holsters. I like them.
    Last edited by peter nap; 07-14-2010 at 10:10 AM.

Where is Part 2?!

Quote Originally Posted by ODA 226 View Post
    Where is Part 2?!
    Part two was actually ready to go when I put one out. There were some things I didn't like and decided to change. Skidmarks critique didn't help so I decided to redo the whole thing. I'm about 3/4 finished now. This has been a tough one because of the restrictions the shooter made (No video of any part of him, Audio had to be done on site which was a noise factory), almost criminal blocking by the police department, conflicting details, etc....so it's taken a few hundred hours more than I expected. It is coming though! I have a few more pro bono projects in the works too. One in particular that covers police misconduct toward gun carriers.

Yeah, sure. Put the blame on me.

At least I have a purpose in life. <grin>

stay safe.

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Yeah, sure. Put the blame on me.

At least I have a purpose in life. <grin>

stay safe.
    Thorn in side?

Looking forward to seeing the whole thing!!!
    "If I know that I am headed for a fight, I want something larger with more power, preferably crew-served.
    However, like most of us, as I go through my daily life, I carry something a bit more compact, with a lot less power."
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

Remington 1911 R1 (Back to Basics)
    SERPA retention or concealed...

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
    (Borrowed from "The Perfect Day" by LTC Dave Grossman)

Quote Originally Posted by jmelvin View Post
    Thorn in side?
    You rub up amongst the thorny truth you just might get one.

stay safe.

Founder's Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    Part two was actually ready to go when I put one out. There were some things I didn't like and decided to change. Skidmarks critique didn't help so I decided to redo the whole thing. I'm about 3/4 finished now. This has been a tough one because of the restrictions the shooter made (No video of any part of him, Audio had to be done on site which was a noise factory), almost criminal blocking by the police department, conflicting details, etc....so it's taken a few hundred hours more than I expected. It is coming though! I have a few more pro bono projects in the works too. One in particular that covers police misconduct toward gun carriers.
    Who cares what skidmark thinks. Art is subjective, and your kinda new to this stuff. If you try and edit your film to make the one guy who never has anything positive to say like it, it's gonna suck.

Keep up the good work. Keep it artsy.
    illegal ≠ immoral legal ≠ moral
    [SIZE=1]"I never submitted the whole system of my opinions to the creed of any party of men whatever in religion, in philosophy, in politics, or in anything else where I was capable of thinking for myself. "Such an addiction is the last degradation of a free and moral agent." - Thomas Jefferson
    G19 Gen 4; Bersa Thunder 380; Sig Sauer P238; Kel-Tec su-16c

Can't wait to see the finished product!

...And the release date is...
    "If I know that I am headed for a fight, I want something larger with more power, preferably crew-served.
    However, like most of us, as I go through my daily life, I carry something a bit more compact, with a lot less power."
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

Remington 1911 R1 (Back to Basics)
    SERPA retention or concealed...

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
    (Borrowed from "The Perfect Day" by LTC Dave Grossman)

Let's go Pete! Zeus told me he wants to see it too!

Peter Nap,
    We've been waiting for Part II for almost TWO YEARS!!!!!!!

Did you ever get it done? Part I was FABULOUS! Come on Brother!

We want to see it!
    Bitka Sve Rešava!
    B-2-10 SFG(A)/ A-2-11 SFG(A) 1977-1994

Quote Originally Posted by ODA 226 View Post
    Peter Nap,
    We've been waiting for Part II for almost TWO YEARS!!!!!!!

Did you ever get it done? Part I was FABULOUS! Come on Brother!

We want to see it!
    Sorry ODA. 90 Seconds is locked up for good. There were some SERIOUS questions about what happened, too many cloak and dagger games, too many different versions from the shooter and one comment that was the last straw.

A few of the members here experienced the same thing.

The blow by blow accounts were OK but that's been told by Philip who saw the security video. Things like the BD's gun was wrapped in tape, from muzzle to grips, are not.
    I left some of the test clips up because they weren't in the finished product anyway.

There were a lot of things.

Surry Side was finished and I was asked not to release it until after the election. I shortened it and took out some of the parts I didn't like and it's still finished.
    It will be released after a few current events involving some of the people, get underway.
    Last edited by peter nap; 07-18-2012 at 10:17 AM.

Surry BTW touches on the same idiotic Security on bridges, Weigh Stations, Etc.

Opening credits less text.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    Sorry ODA. 90 Seconds is locked up for good. There were some SERIOUS questions about what happened, too many cloak and dagger games, too many different versions from the shooter and one comment that was the last straw.

A few of the members here experienced the same thing.

The blow by blow accounts were OK but that's been told by Philip who saw the security video. Things like the BD's gun was wrapped in tape, from muzzle to grips, are not.
    I left some of the test clips up because they weren't in the finished product anyway.

There were a lot of things.
    --snip--
    Definitely some issues with the "facts" - they changed more frequently than the weather.

Mo, the owner who was shot, did get his CHP and carried regularly thereafter, sometimes OCing. He also now has sold the store and moved back to the old country. He was IMHO the real good guy in all of this.

Others involved have scattered to the four winds and Richmond PD still apparently considers the case "open" - possible accomplice(?) and is not talking.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast