• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

90 Seconds in July,part 1

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Imagine standing in line at the corner store. A gunman runs in and within 5 seconds, shoots the owner twice and is turning his gun on you and the other customers. The Police can’t save you, the gunman doesn’t want witnesses, in short you’re dead….unless you or someone is armed. Then you have a fighting chance.

Part one of this Documentary takes you through the first few seconds of this true story.
The man who saved so many lives on that day is a country fellow. He doesn’t have a concealed weapons permit and is openly carrying his handgun. This is perfectly legal in Virginia and the ranks of OC’ers are growing every day. Many of us from the country have been doing it all our lives.

He is the only thing between life and death for the ten innocent citizens in that store. For those ten people, the next 90 seconds seem like an eternity. For the would be killer, it was!
http://news.oldva.org/

[video=vimeo;13307198]http://vimeo.com/13307198[/video]

curtiswr

Nicely done and put together! I caught it when you just put it on OVN and I was about to start griping that the video was still set to private... but I figured I'd give you more than 30 seconds to get it straight. :p

I've added it to my Facebook feed but I only have about half a handful of people on there now that I remade it under a pseudonym. I look forward to the DVD. I think I might get an extra or two to give out.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Every time I see parts of this, it is like I am living it.

Just further proof of why you should never leave home without it.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Part 2 will take it through ther rest of the fight which is interesting. That could have gone either way.

This made me think while I was making it.
It was fast.
He was using what I consider the ultimate manstopping caliber, 45 Colt. A lot more wll come out about that .

This guy took multiple hits and was still going strong.

There is a reason I carry a 44 magnum and after doing this, won't carry anything lighter than 45ACP ever again.

But like I said, there's a lot more later on.

There's also a surprise bit of information at the end of 2. There was another casualty in this mess.:lol:

Reverend73

Founder's Club Member
Peter, nice work, can't wait for part 2. I would like to offer some constructive criticism if you don't mind. I think it would be more polished if you would lose the scrolling dialog. It moves entirely too slowly and it is hard to read, and listen to your narrative at the same time--too busy. All that is needed is your narative, and Johns account.

Thank you so much for taking the time to do this. I've done a little video editing in my day, and I can't say I enjoyed it. It is time consuming work for sure.

Brian

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I guess I'm going to be the lone voice of dissent.

WTF was that during the first minute and 45 seconds? How did that stuff relate to the incident? How did it even enhance the drama of this incident?

Most of what I got out of the introduction was a large does of wondering what race had to do with this, and why the intro stuff was concentrating so heavily on the black community. Then you threw in the Charlie Chaplin (?) hillbilly chase scene, which left me wondering even more why that was there.

If you were to cut the introduction I'd say you had an informative video that makes it abundantly clear that there is a chance that things can go horribly bad in an instant and that but for the presence of a good man with a gun there would have been a massacre.

I was thinking of sending this as a PM, but the more I mulled it over the more I decided that it ought to go out publically. I really am curious as to why you included the introduction, and what others think of the introduction and how/if they see it fiting with the rest of the video.

stay safe.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I guess I'm going to be the lone voice of dissent.

WTF was that during the first minute and 45 seconds? How did that stuff relate to the incident? How did it even enhance the drama of this incident?

Most of what I got out of the introduction was a large does of wondering what race had to do with this, and why the intro stuff was concentrating so heavily on the black community. Then you threw in the Charlie Chaplin (?) hillbilly chase scene, which left me wondering even more why that was there.

If you were to cut the introduction I'd say you had an informative video that makes it abundantly clear that there is a chance that things can go horribly bad in an instant and that but for the presence of a good man with a gun there would have been a massacre.

I was thinking of sending this as a PM, but the more I mulled it over the more I decided that it ought to go out publically. I really am curious as to why you included the introduction, and what others think of the introduction and how/if they see it fiting with the rest of the video.

stay safe.

There is a slider at the bottom of the screen Skid. Just move it to the right.
There is a version of this without the introductory clip. That's for the groups that wll use it for instruction.

Now why put it in in the first Place?
There are a couple of reasons. When I join all three parts, I have to have a place for the credits. The music license requires.

Second, I like it.

Third, there is a meaning in the introductory clip. I may be the only one that understands it, but I do.

Forth, this is the most multiracial shooting I can think of.
The shooter was black, on drugs, from a predominantly black neighborhood. Hillbillys? Where do you think John was from.

There is a lot that was included or not included in this. There are some interesting things about Grooms Parents. I didn't include it because I didn't think I should.

Some interesting things about the Shooter. Not included.

I suppose the answer to Why I included the opening Clip is the same as why I have renention straps on my holsters. I like them.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Where is Part 2?!

Part two was actually ready to go when I put one out. There were some things I didn't like and decided to change. Skidmarks critique didn't help so I decided to redo the whole thing. I'm about 3/4 finished now. This has been a tough one because of the restrictions the shooter made (No video of any part of him, Audio had to be done on site which was a noise factory), almost criminal blocking by the police department, conflicting details, etc....so it's taken a few hundred hours more than I expected. It is coming though! I have a few more pro bono projects in the works too. One in particular that covers police misconduct toward gun carriers.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Yeah, sure. Put the blame on me.

At least I have a purpose in life. <grin>

stay safe.

simmonsjoe

Part two was actually ready to go when I put one out. There were some things I didn't like and decided to change. Skidmarks critique didn't help so I decided to redo the whole thing. I'm about 3/4 finished now. This has been a tough one because of the restrictions the shooter made (No video of any part of him, Audio had to be done on site which was a noise factory), almost criminal blocking by the police department, conflicting details, etc....so it's taken a few hundred hours more than I expected. It is coming though! I have a few more pro bono projects in the works too. One in particular that covers police misconduct toward gun carriers.
Who cares what skidmark thinks. Art is subjective, and your kinda new to this stuff. If you try and edit your film to make the one guy who never has anything positive to say like it, it's gonna suck.

Keep up the good work. Keep it artsy.