Thread: Longmont OC ban in city buildings passes 5-2

Longmont OC ban in city buildings passes 5-2

Mayor Baum and Council Woman Witt dissented.

All the rest of them caved to destroying our freedoms. Santos was the one I really hated listening too, him and his spineless little crotch-jocky McCoy.

Thanks to everyone who came out and spoke on this issue. I know who I'll be helping get elected, and who I'll be running a smear campaign against.

That really sucks. Any chance to challenge this? Did anyone show up open carrying?

No chance "challenging" the lawful authority of the city to do so. The specific law has long been established and upheld.

Now you could appeal to the city to vote again on the issue. I believe that's unlikely for now.

Unfortunately it's their ability under state law to make this ordinance.

Our only hope is to change who's on the council, and elections are coming up in November I believe. BTW, Miss Witt is an awesome woman, she stood up for this on the grounds of liberty and freedom in principle. Mayor Baum was pissed off about this too, everything he said was correct.

This was easily the most contentious issue of the night with a lot of debate by the council and about 10 members of the public (including myself and my fiance) speaking. That Gordon Pedrow is a little snake too, this was obviously just his attack on one individual.
    Last edited by forgebench; 07-14-2010 at 11:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by forgebench View Post
    Mayor Baum and Council Woman Witt dissented.

All the rest of them caved to destroying our freedoms. Santos was the one I really hated listening too, him and his spineless little crotch-jocky McCoy.

Thanks to everyone who came out and spoke on this issue. I know who I'll be helping get elected, and who I'll be running a smear campaign against.
    Remember the three a-holes in Nov.

http://www.timescall.com/news_story.asp?ID=22708

"The council voted 4-3 to have both those issues [ban on carry in parks and carry by city employees to work] come to the panel for discussion, with members Hansen, McCoy and Sarah Levison dissenting."

I think the new law is asinine to make people "feel" safer but not "be" safer, but if it sparks an overturn of the other laws, maybe some good can come out of it.

'“If someone came to our window wearing a gun, it would be really hard for us to say, ‘No, we won’t turn your utilities back on,’” Rademacher said.'

So, should we ban guys who look like they're on a roid-rage trip from going to the window? How about people who look like they just beat the crap out of Jackie Chan? Let's ban big workboots and visible pocketknives as well, shall we?

This is asinine, it's already illegal to wear your firearm in a manner to calculate alarm (which I believe Tiger was in trouble for at one point). If someone's at your window, carressing their holster and demanding their power be turned back on, you've got grounds to press felony charges. Fergodssakes grow a pair, huh?

My folks live in Longmont and I'll be home in 2 weeks. What exactly does this change for me?

Quote Originally Posted by marinepilot81 View Post
    My folks live in Longmont and I'll be home in 2 weeks. What exactly does this change for me?
    You can't go into the building with them to pay their water bill while OCing. Other than that, nada.
    Last edited by mahkagari; 07-20-2010 at 12:23 AM.

You won't be able to open carry in any (posted) city building.

Irritating. Despite no evidence of anyone ACTUALLY threatening someone at one of these facilities, we've now banned OC there to protect some clerk's delicate feelings? Irritating.

Well I'll be home on leave from 28-02 Aug if anyone wants to take action.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Definitely need to strengthen your preemption law on a state level.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Definitely need to strengthen your preemption law on a state level.
    Yes we do. I'm hoping this fall will see a decided change in local and state governments by citizens fed up with the mamby pamby pap-pushers.
    Last edited by since9; 07-21-2010 at 05:33 AM.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.