• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What's the difference?

ecocks

I'm looking at starting to carry a six-gun cowboy style and am most impressed so far with the Ruger Blackhawk in .357. What is the difference between the Vaquero and regular models? Other than about $80 dollars or so that is?

Batousaii

Love the Vaquero!

I carry an old model vaquero in .45 colt.
- Be advised, the old "Vaquero" and the "New Vaquero" are different. The old Vaq is based off of the old framed .44 mag and can handle alot. The old model is a little heavier then a classic Colt SAA, but looks the same and can handle full power "Ruger only" loads. The "new Vaquero" is newly tooled design based off the 357 frame and is lighter, closer in true dimensions to the Colt SAA, however it cannot handle full power Ruger only loads. I would however gander a guess, that the .357 "new vaquero" can handle heavy .357 due to the smaller bore in the same cylinder, leading to thinker walls.
- The real only real difference between the Blackhawk and Vaquero models is the Blackhawk has adjustable sights and a little more squared top strap and trigger guard, compared, the Vaquero is shaped like a Colt SAA as a clone, and has a notch sight. Other than that, they have the same internals and structure.

Enjoy,
- Bat

Don Barnett

Sights

Fixed Sights vs Adjustable Sights. If you are just buying for the fun of it, I would go with the Vaquero. The adjustable sights are hard to see anyway, especially if you are in a low light situation, such as an indoor pistol range.