Thread: Some good training

Some good training

Does anyone know of any places that a group of students can go (preferably in Northern VA or within an hour or two away) to get some advanced training on firearms? One of the major complaints for students not being allowed to carry concealed on campus at GMU was that students don't have training, handling weapons both in normal and life/death situations. It was specifically pointed out that we dont have training in classroom shooting situations. Thanks!
    "I ask, Who are the militia? They consist now of the whole people, except a few public officers."
    ‘‘To disarm the people; that it was the best and most effectual way to enslave them.’’

— George Mason

http://www.pgpft.com/info.htm
    I took this class. Excellent training. About 8hrs and 400rds.
    It's in West VA.

http://www.fpftraining.com/

John Murphy is a good instructor. His range is in Culpeper, VA.

When you're near Carrollton, I could give you and your friends some instruction. PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by karolynrgalarza View Post
    Does anyone know of any places that a group of students can go (preferably in Northern VA or within an hour or two away) to get some advanced training on firearms? One of the major complaints for students not being allowed to carry concealed on campus at GMU was that students don't have training, handling weapons both in normal and life/death situations. It was specifically pointed out that we dont have training in classroom shooting situations. Thanks!
    I have more range time than GMU Police Officers, I can guarantee that. But only because it is a hobby and I have lots of free time to fill. While I trust GMU Police to be up to the task as they are a fully accredited police force who go through the same Northern Virginia Criminal Justice Training Academy as other local depts. , it is still impossible for ANY police force to have an officer everywhere at anytime. And crime can and does happen anywhere, at anytime. Just this past month in the crime log there was an assault/abduction at GMU which resulted in an arrest. About two years ago there was a sexual assault behind SUBII. Three years ago there was an irate fellow in SUBI throwing chairs near the cash office. What if that mentally unstable individual decided to take it to the next level, and target those people around him? What if he decided to utilize something more than a chair? I'm just thankful I don't need to worry about it at GMU anymore, that was three years ago I lived there.

Quote Originally Posted by Floyd View Post
    http://www.fpftraining.com/

John Murphy is a good instructor. His range is in Culpeper, VA.
    I second John Murphy, great man, great teacher!

Thanks for the help so far!

Quick Question: Do you get a certificate when you complete any of the training? We want to be able to show proof that we have training, and hopefully this will sway the opinions of the GMU policy makers and allow students to conceal carry.
    Last edited by karolynrgalarza; 07-14-2010 at 07:33 PM.
    "I ask, Who are the militia? They consist now of the whole people, except a few public officers."
    ‘‘To disarm the people; that it was the best and most effectual way to enslave them.’’

— George Mason

Wow! I'm looking at the prices of classes and had no idea what to expect...Makes me miss the many days of free training I got in the corps. You know how they say you never know what you got till its gone....But if it helps GMU students obtain their 2nd amendment right to protection, it will be well worth it!

— George Mason

Quote Originally Posted by ODA 226 View Post
    When you're near Carrollton, I could give you and your friends some instruction. PM me.
    You going to the New News picnic this saturday? I'll be there and maybe we can talk?

— George Mason

There is so much wrong with that claim. Training requirements for a CHP are specified by the Commonwealth, and don't include any specific scenarios or situations. Who does have training in classroom shooting situations, anyway? What training do the GMU police have?

I'm guessing that unless you get certified (by some state standard) training, it's not going to matter. This is just a ploy to put you off.

Founder's Club Member - Moderator longwatch's Avatar
    I also recommend John Murphy, outstanding training.

You going to the New News picnic this saturday? I'll be there and maybe we can talk?
    Unfortunately I'm training soldiers at Ft. Drum until the end of the month. PM me.

See http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...light=training, reply #7 for NOVA training.