• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Some good training

karolynrgalarza

Does anyone know of any places that a group of students can go (preferably in Northern VA or within an hour or two away) to get some advanced training on firearms? One of the major complaints for students not being allowed to carry concealed on campus at GMU was that students don't have training, handling weapons both in normal and life/death situations. It was specifically pointed out that we dont have training in classroom shooting situations. Thanks!

nova

Does anyone know of any places that a group of students can go (preferably in Northern VA or within an hour or two away) to get some advanced training on firearms? One of the major complaints for students not being allowed to carry concealed on campus at GMU was that students don't have training, handling weapons both in normal and life/death situations. It was specifically pointed out that we dont have training in classroom shooting situations. Thanks!

I have more range time than GMU Police Officers, I can guarantee that. But only because it is a hobby and I have lots of free time to fill. While I trust GMU Police to be up to the task as they are a fully accredited police force who go through the same Northern Virginia Criminal Justice Training Academy as other local depts. , it is still impossible for ANY police force to have an officer everywhere at anytime. And crime can and does happen anywhere, at anytime. Just this past month in the crime log there was an assault/abduction at GMU which resulted in an arrest. About two years ago there was a sexual assault behind SUBII. Three years ago there was an irate fellow in SUBI throwing chairs near the cash office. What if that mentally unstable individual decided to take it to the next level, and target those people around him? What if he decided to utilize something more than a chair? I'm just thankful I don't need to worry about it at GMU anymore, that was three years ago I lived there.

karolynrgalarza

Thanks for the help so far!

Quick Question: Do you get a certificate when you complete any of the training? We want to be able to show proof that we have training, and hopefully this will sway the opinions of the GMU policy makers and allow students to conceal carry.

Last edited:

karolynrgalarza

Wow! I'm looking at the prices of classes and had no idea what to expect...Makes me miss the many days of free training I got in the corps. You know how they say you never know what you got till its gone....But if it helps GMU students obtain their 2nd amendment right to protection, it will be well worth it!

2a4all

There is so much wrong with that claim. Training requirements for a CHP are specified by the Commonwealth, and don't include any specific scenarios or situations. Who does have training in classroom shooting situations, anyway? What training do the GMU police have?

I'm guessing that unless you get certified (by some state standard) training, it's not going to matter. This is just a ploy to put you off.

nemo

See http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?70811-Handgun-Training&highlight=training, reply #7 for NOVA training.