• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New to Open Carry

Ulquiorra

In the last 2 days I have read all these forums. Everyone has different views. What about advice on Open Carry? I (like some others) are new to this, and would like any advice I can get.

daddy4count

Be comfortable.

It doesn't do you or anybody any good to OC if you aren't confident and comfortable doing it. Of course, the best way to get comfy is to go do it...

And be prepared for conversations... my first few were blown attempts at cultivating real interest because I was unprepared for any kind of confrontation, good or bad.

Know the law... stay legal

Oh, and welcome

Ulquiorra

Thanks, I took up shooting a few years back. It has only been recent since I have thought about getting my CCP. A lot of people down here in Utah County Orem say to just Open Carry, so I thought I would get as much info as I could, including signing up to this site.

KRM59

also new to OC

I have been a Gun owner for many years, and doing the CCDW thing to. but as of today i am carring openly. and for several reasons.

1. there has been a rise in shootings in my area. (by drug dealer/gang members)
2. i served my country and feel i earned the right ( they paid me to carry why not do it for free now)
3. and the most importaint in my eyes. you don't use your rights you may lose them.

Mr H

<<i served my country and feel i earned the right ( they paid me to carry why not do it for free now)>>

Before my comments, I'll first welcome you aboard and thank you for being there for the Country. My son is asea right now, and I'm truly appreciative of all who serve and protect what many have died to provide.

IMO, you "earned" the right when you were born in this Country. You "learned" the right's value while serving.

If you were in MD (or even your neighboring IL), your comment above might raise some eyebrows if not create issues for you with John Law. As for doing it "for free"? We all pay more every day, in lost liberties and infringements on our rights. I would humbly ask that we all consider this not as a titt-for-tatt (quid pro quo, pay to play, whatever you choose) scenario, but rather see it as a legitimate exercise of the rights set forth so many decades ago.

We can each, individually, choose to KBA or not. That is a tenet of our freedoms that is very important. But to give the impression (wheter intended or not) that it is more than a granted thing can be dangerous, and possibly used against the cause. My [substantial] gut tells me you're doing the right thing, and with some personal rationale we can all appreciate.

The dance we need to perform to further the free exercise of this right we hold so dear requires, IMO, some restraint.

Again... welcome and thank you...

Last edited:

KRM59

<<i served my country and feel i earned the right ( they paid me to carry why not do it for free now)>>

Before my comments, I'll first welcome you aboard and thank you for being there for the Country. My son is asea right now, and I'm truly appreciative of all who serve and protect what many have died to provide.

IMO, you "earned" the right when you were born in this Country. You "learned" the right's value while serving.

If you were in MD (or even your neighboring IL), your comment above might raise some eyebrows if not create issues for you with John Law. As for doing it "for free"? We all pay more every day, in lost liberties and infringements on our rights. I would humbly ask that we all consider this not as a titt-for-tatt (quid pro quo, pay to play, whatever you choose) scenario, but rather see it as a legitimate exercise of the rights set forth so many decades ago.

We can each, individually, choose to KBA or not. That is a tenet of our freedoms that is very important. But to give the impression (wheter intended or not) that it is more than a granted thing can be dangerous, and possibly used against the cause. My [substantial] gut tells me you're doing the right thing, and with some personal rationale we can all appreciate.

The dance we need to perform to further the free exercise of this right we hold so dear requires, IMO, some restraint.

Again... welcome and thank you...

my appology's, it may have come out sounding wrong, i would never do anything to hurt the rights we all should exorcise and enjoy,
i find my self so confussed with all the OC issues. everything i read tells me i have the right to OC without the fear of harrassment.
and then i talk to LEO's i know and they tell me the complete opposite, and these are friends that would not tell me something thats not in my best interest.
I just want to help the cause and stay free from harrassment at the same time, and i aiming to high? i honestly just want to protect my self and have peice of mind when im out enjoying this great country, without having to wear this or that to cover my weapon. getting CCDW (conceal carry deadly weapon) for kentucky, is not a big problem for me and im sure i will get one eventualy but intill then it's OC.

Mr H

my appology's, it may have come out sounding wrong, i would never do anything to hurt the rights we all should exorcise and enjoy,
i find my self so confussed with all the OC issues. everything i read tells me i have the right to OC without the fear of harrassment.
and then i talk to LEO's i know and they tell me the complete opposite, and these are friends that would not tell me something thats not in my best interest.
I just want to help the cause and stay free from harrassment at the same time, and i aiming to high? i honestly just want to protect my self and have peice of mind when im out enjoying this great country, without having to wear this or that to cover my weapon. getting CCDW (conceal carry deadly weapon) for kentucky, is not a big problem for me and im sure i will get one eventualy but intill then it's OC.

No apology needed!!!

What many folks don't realize (or realize too late), is that laws vary so widely state-to-state as to be maddening.

For myself, I take it one piece.. one step... at a time, and hope to bring one more along with me, whatever the issue.

KRM59

No apology needed!!!

What many folks don't realize (or realize too late), is that laws vary so widely state-to-state as to be maddening.

For myself, I take it one piece.. one step... at a time, and hope to bring one more along with me, whatever the issue.

good Lord i agree it is madding...lol but i did OC today for the first time and i felt at ease. I really didn't think about it, i just went about my buisness. and no one said a word anywhere i went.

MamaLiberty

The right to self defense predates the establishment of America, the constitution and every other government by as long as human beings have existed. That right does not depend on where you were born or anything else.

A right cannot be granted or made conditional by any human or institution. It can only be respected or violated.

Mike Sexton

I just joined and this is my first post. I live in OR. I will OC/CC depending on how I feel at the moment or the weather or what I'm going to wear. Don't think it really matters how you carry, just carry.

March Hare

The right to self defense predates the establishment of America, the constitution and every other government by as long as human beings have existed. That right does not depend on where you were born or anything else.

A right cannot be granted or made conditional by any human or institution. It can only be respected or violated.

+1

To the OP, welcome!
Please be sure to check with the actual written laws, not just what your 'friends' tell you, they might be mistaken...

nobama

+1 , welcome!! remember that LEO dont write the laws so dont just rely on them. With all do respect of course.