• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Definition of militia as defined by the supreme court long ago:

damienrr

" militia system ... implied the general obligation of all adult male inhabitants to possess arms, and, with certain exceptions, to cooperate in the work of defence." It went on to say that the miltia are not troops or standing armies but civilians primarily: "all males physically capable of acting in concert for the common defence." James Madison, the author of Second Amendment, plainly understood that "the militia" meant able-bodied civilians. Dismissing fears that a federal army might become as oppressive as the English Redcoats, Madison noted that America had "a militia amounting to near half a million of citizens with arms in their hands." And, according to Madison, this broadly defined militia held "the advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation" with "governments [that] are afraid to trust the people with arms." Today, federal law defines "the militia of the United States" to include all able-bodied males from 17 to 45 and members of the National Guard up to age 64, but excluding those who have no intention of becoming citizens and active military personnel. To translate, that means that every able-bodied guy of a certain age who is not in the military is in the militia. God bless America.

ep0k

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/10/usc_sec_10_00000311----000-.html

(a) The militia of the United States consists of all able-bodied males at least 17 years of age and, except as provided in section 313 of title 32, under 45 years of age who are, or who have made a declaration of intention to become, citizens of the United States and of female citizens of the United States who are members of the National Guard.
(b) The classes of the militia are—
(1) the organized militia, which consists of the National Guard and the Naval Militia; and
(2) the unorganized militia, which consists of the members of the militia who are not members of the National Guard or the Naval Militia.

According to the VA I'm still 70% "able bodied" so I consider myself a part of the unorganized militia.

Last edited: