• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New Castle Law passed - Question

Marc

If you are on your own property u can carry in any manner u wish. even if u choose to walk ur perimeter with an ak47 at the ready u can (altho a passerby or neighbor will probly call the cops, it is however legal.)

BILL27GLOCK

If you are on your own property u can carry in any manner u wish. even if u choose to walk ur perimeter with an ak47 at the ready u can (altho a passerby or neighbor will probly call the cops, it is however legal.)

I think you are correct, I have gone so far as to OC in my neighbors driveway and he is a Major with Indep PD.
Just to be sure abour OC in Indep I asked him about this and his response? Absolutely, so I'm not too
concerned about it at this point.

Big Boy

Just out of curiosity, I didn't see this "new" castle law. What did it change?

mmdkyoung123

Independence, and Kansas City, Missouri, USA
I don't remember seeing anything about a "new" castle law. I also didn't find anything while looking through google. I know that we attempted to get a bill passed (house bill 668 if I recall). That would expand the castle doctrine to any place you are legally allowed to be state wide preemption and a few other things but it didn't make it through so we have to wait for the next session. I would guess that OP was either talking about the old bill having just read it, or the HB which never made it through. Just my guess though.

heresyourdipstickjimmy

Don't see that going over very well inside city limits. One might have to post up a fund raiser for legal fees on that one.

I have yet to see anyone challenged for OC'ing on their own property, of course I'm in SWMO and things might be different up North.

Last edited:

Marc

Lol. I never said it would be well recieved and yes there would probly be leagal fees involved as the authorities would assume an armed guard at a residence was protecting illegal activity and they would get a warrant to turn the place upside down. I was just exaggerating my point that it is still legal.

Broondog

Just out of curiosity, I didn't see this "new" castle law. What did it change?

http://www.nraila.org/News/Read/NewsReleases.aspx?id=14022

HB 1692, sponsored by State Representative Jason Smith (R-150) and State Senator Jane Cunningham (R-7), expands Missouri’s “Castle Doctrine” protections to any property boundaries one leases or owns and caps the sheriff fee at $10 for Missouri right-to-carry permit holders who change addresses. The bill will also allow a prosecutor with a right-to-carry permit to carry in a courthouse and, with the judge’s permission, in the courtroom as well. This legislation will also bring Missouri’s gun laws into compliance with federal law, exempting antique firearms from “unlawful possession” citations.

--------------------------

you can read the bill/law here. the pro-gun stuff was added as a rider to this wide ranging bill. scroll to the bottom.

http://www.house.mo.gov/content.aspx?info=/bills101/bills/HB1692.htm

cshoff

Just remember that the "Castle Doctrine" has no bearing on where or how you can or can't carry a firearm. It is only relevant to lawful acts of self defense. Don't mistake it as "permission" to carry a firearm in a certain manner or in a certain place, contradictory to other state or local laws.

peterarthur

Don't see that going over very well inside city limits. One might have to post up a fund raiser for legal fees on that one.

I have yet to see anyone challenged for OC'ing on their own property, of course I'm in SWMO and things might be different up North.

I don't see any legal issue, and if there is not, what legal trouble could you have? All of my neighbors have seen me walk my property IN the KC MO city limits with my AR-15 in my hands. I even shot a stray dog that threatened me on advice of a KC MO LEO!!! The dog was around for two weeks. Animal control could not catch or trap him. The police couldn't either. That is when an officer told my wife that we would be in our legal rights to shoot the dog if we felt threatened. 3 days later, he snapped at me so I got out my AR and waited until he was in a place that would be safe to shoot, down in a gully in my back yard with no ricochet surfaces to hit. I have 2 acres and I shot him from about 75 yards, one through the ribs into his heart, he went straight down, then I stopped his twitching with a 5 foot shot to the noggin, dragged his slightly bloody corpse to the street and called the city to pick him up. When they got there, I told them I had shot a stray that threatened to bite me. Never heard a word about it although I was nervous for hours about it. If I ever see an LEO that questions my carry on my property, I will start asking HIM questions and maybe if I am in a good mood, I will tell him that we have many strays in our neighborhood (lots of abandoned dogs, a well known problem in southeast KCMO) and I am protecting my family. Most of my neighbors have shot strays here.

All that to say this: Just because you live in the city does not change your rights. You have a right to security. As long as you are not brandishing the weapon (bran·dish·ing, bran·dish·es. 1. To wave or flourish (a weapon, for example) menacingly. 2. To display ostentatiously.) then you have not broken any laws.

And on a side note: Fly an American flag. It reduces your chance of robbery by 80%. A POW or other secondary flag helps too... and gun rights bumper stickers... and I OC every day in full view of my neighbors and everyone I meet.