• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New to the forums

ronbo422

Hi guys,
I'm a Texan and I work alot here in the Phoenix area (maybe here 4-5 times/year for 2-3 weeks at a time). I just earned my Texas CHL. In fact, it came in the mail last week right after I got here.
My question is on open carry though. I would like to know if there is a website with details about your open carry law here in Arizona, like where I am NOT allowed to carry. I've seen a couple of signs on restaurants that say No Guns but don't know if they're legally binding or not. In Texas if that type of sign is up then it only applies to employees and does not pertain to CHL holders. I realize that's an apples vs oranges case in regards to the question at hand, just saying. I know I'm in Arizona so I need to learn your state laws.
Please provide me some basic pointers about where and where not to open carry. As soon as I get back to Texas I'll have my license in my wallet, and any subsequent trips out here will be concealed for the most part.

Thanks all for a great forum!!

~Ronbo

Thoreau

Welcome to AZ and enjoy your (repeated) stays!

Open carry and concealed carry in AZ are, mostly, identical as far as when/where, and both are pretty permissive.

The most notable difference is that when yuo are OCing, you need to be aware of wether or not an establishment serves alcohol (and in AZ, more than a few do!) OC in ANY establishment that serves alcohol for on premises consumption, ie: a bar, restaurant, etc. is 100% off limits. In those cases it is necessary to conceal, and even then, only if they do not have a sign posted against it (and posted next to the liquor license.)

Schools are another concern and since I don't attend any, nor have any kids who do, I'm not terribly familiar with those rules, other than the once or twice a year I'm at a local school that is being used as a polling place. In those cases, the gun stays in my car, unloaded, and locked away. Unless you're a cop there for work, you pretty much have to do as above. Having your CCW permit does at least make THAT much possible though.

I can't off the top of my head think of any other relevant specifics, so I'll defer to any others who can chime in with more comprehensive information. One thing worth noting is that in AZ, CCW and OC are not strictly one or the other. IE: In texas, you MUST be concealed, and not print and all that jazz. In AZ if you're carrying concealed, and your shirt rides up, not only is it legal, but nobody cares either.

Oh, and the usual suspects for NO carry apply such as court houses, federal buildings, universities, etc.

Last edited:

matt35

You can carry anywhere except places that serve alcohol for consumption on premesis, any gov't buildings, school grounds, or any place that has signage that states no firearms. As far as carrying in a car, if it's in a holster and can clearly be seen by LEO as they approach, there shouldn't be a problem, if stopped I would make sure to announce the fact that I have a gun to ensure the stop goes smoothly.

Welcome to the forum and enjoy your time in AZ

Carry on

brokenbarrel

You can carry anywhere except places that serve alcohol for consumption on premesis, any gov't buildings, school grounds, or any place that has signage that states no firearms. As far as carrying in a car, if it's in a holster and can clearly be seen by LEO as they approach, there shouldn't be a problem, if stopped I would make sure to announce the fact that I have a gun to ensure the stop goes smoothly.

Welcome to the forum and enjoy your time in AZ

Carry on

dont EVER say "I HAVE A GUN!" tell this officer that you would like to inform them you are armed,if you want them to know as of now its not required but after the 29th it is your duty to inform..

TOF

dont EVER say "I HAVE A GUN!" tell this officer that you would like to inform them you are armed,if you want them to know as of now its not required but after the 29th it is your duty to inform..

After July 29 it is your duty to answer truthfully if asked if you are carrying/have a gun. It is not your duty to inform. If LEO doesn't ask you don't have to tell. IANAL

Thoreau

After July 29 it is your duty to answer truthfully if asked if you are carrying/have a gun. It is not your duty to inform. If LEO doesn't ask you don't have to tell. IANAL

+1. There is no duty to inform, simply a (continued) 'no lying to the cops' law. Right now if a cop asks ya if you're armed, you have to answer truthfully. This will still be the same after the 29th with no news requirements on ether end of the interaction.

matt35

Informing the officer that you are armed, you like that terminology better brokenbarrel?, from the start will put the officer at ease. It will also go further to dispell the MYTH that we are just gun tottin' yahoos and add credibility to our goal, we are americans who are excersing our right to protect ourselve, our loved ones and our communities.

I carry a gun for the same reason I have insurance on my truck, I would rather have it and not need it then need it and not have it.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
Informing the officer that you are armed, you like that terminology better brokenbarrel?, from the start will put the officer at ease. It will also go further to dispell the MYTH that we are just gun tottin' yahoos and add credibility to our goal, we are americans who are excersing our right to protect ourselve, our loved ones and our communities.

I carry a gun for the same reason I have insurance on my truck, I would rather have it and not need it then need it and not have it.

Do you announce to the Officer that you have an umbrella in case it rains? How unlikely are you to need it in the desert?

[sigh]

It won't go one inch towards eliminating hate from the minds of the prejudiced. Hold on to your Rights. You don't have to be an @sshole to do that. But suggesting that the only way to be civil is to give up your Rights, IS being an @sshole...