• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Well, Panera bread is a new battle ground.

Preble

High Point, North Carolina, United States
Okay Good news everyone!

I talked to him on the phone.

He said " I would prefer you not to open carry in my stores, but I'm not going to stop you either."

He said he talked to all the managers today, and they will not ask me to leave unless a customer complains.

He knew who I was after 2 seconds on the phone....I'm not kidding when i say I eat there a lot.

elixin77

OK noon on Sunday it is...

See you Sunday. I'll see if my friend wants to come or not.

Preble, thats good news. If their corporate policy states one thing, and the manager goes against it because of personal reasons, then there might be some issues.

out of curiosity, how often do you eat there?

JoeSparky

Centurion
So does Panera have fire extinguishers in the building? Are they expecting a fire?
Does the manager have a spare tire for his vehicle? Is he expecting a flat tire?
Do they carry insurance? Is he expecting to have a claim?
Does he have a safe in the building? Is he expecting to be robbed?
Does he have a lock on the door? Is he expecting someone to break in after hours?

For all these reasons and more, I carry..... so, JUST IN CASE, I can be ready to DEFEND MYSELF OR MY FAMILY if needed.

After all, when seconds matter (or fractions of a second) a LEO is only MINUTES away (if you are lucky)!

Dreamer

see yall Sunday...

Actualy, I think "elixin77" was talking about the Panera in Greenville, where we've met before, because he was saying he wanted to do it on his "lunch break"...

If y'all want to come out East, We'd love to meet you. Heck, maybe we could even go shooting--there are two ranges within a few minutes of Greenville and both are open on Sundays...

hckply04

i went to panera after range

I just got back from my range time at firepower inc. So all i had was my tactical drop holster on with 2 extra mags. i was told to conceal my weapon (im only 18) so i politely explained that i did not have a chp (and how do you cc with a tactical drop holster) and i still have the right to open carry as politely as i could. The manager on duty then proceeded to ask me to remove my sidearm or leave. so i will never eat at panera again.:mad: i really like there soup:cry:

oh go good news from attorney general, 18 to privately purchase handguns (and get permits) in nc epic win:banana:

Last edited:

mekender

I just got back from my range time at firepower inc. So all i had was my tactical drop holster on with 2 extra mags. i was told to conceal my weapon (im only 18) so i politely explained that i did not have a chp (and how do you cc with a tactical drop holster) and i still have the right to open carry as politely as i could. The manager on duty then proceeded to ask me to remove my sidearm or leave. so i will never eat at panera again.:mad: i really like there soup:cry:

oh go good news from attorney general, 18 to privately purchase handguns (and get permits) in nc epic win:banana:

Do you have a written opinion on that or something?

That would be HUGE news for a lot of people.

razor_baghdad

There's always 'Luigi's' Fayetteville

if you need an example for the anti-gunner managers:

http://fayettevillenc10.cityspur.com/tag/shooting-at-luigi/

http://www.fayobserver.com/Articles/2010/01/09/965827

More than 10 years after she survived a shooting at Luigi's Italian Restaurant that killed four people and wounded eight, Dawn Gabriel sat down to talk about it.

"At first, I thought I was going to be perfectly fine and stable," said Gabriel, who worked as a server at the restaurant. "The more he started asking questions, the more the demons started popping into my head."

"It's probably one of the top stories in Fayetteville's history," said John Dawson, who co-produced the movie with partner Dave Clark. "It's one of those stories that you know where you were when you heard about it."

On the night of Aug. 6, 1993, a Friday, a 22-year-old Army soldier named Kenneth Junior French walked into Luigi's restaurant and opened fire. Survivors said French was shooting people at random and ranting about President Clinton allowing gays in the military.

Killed that night were the restaurant's owners, Pete and Ethel Parrous; and customers Wesley Cover and James Kidd.

French received a life sentence for the murders. He is being held at the Marion Correctional Institute in McDowell County.

elixin77

hckply04

Do you have a written opinion on that or something?

That would be HUGE news for a lot of people.

no it is not written anywhere that you canot buy privately at 18. so i called the attorny generals office and i was told buy the att. gen. that i could buy handguns privately at 18 as long as i go get a purchase permit. he also stated that fed law of age restrictions only affects ffl sales. so win for us under 21

Bill Starks

State Researcher
OC business sample letter. Please pass it around & make the necessary adjustments for your state.

Hello, my name is [name] and I heard about your shop. [business name] seems like a decent place and the kind of place that I would patronize except for one thing: you don't allow Open Carry (OC).
I recently read on OpenCarry.org (OCDO) (open carry thread link -if possible) that you have a policy prohibiting OC.

I am both amazed and offended that [your business] would have such a policy that discriminates against OC'ers. I'm sure you are aware that [insert state] is a traditional Open Carry state and enjoys complete state preemption of all city, county and municipal firearms laws. Concealed Carry is most certainly a privilege granted by the state (an infringement) and certainly not a right, while OC is a far sight closer to the actual right to "bear" arms as intended by our Founders. I would be very interested in hearing hear how you have determined that my OC firearm is more dangerous than any other CC firearm allowed in your store?

I have been trained with firearms time and time again, have been fingerprinted, and had my background investigated many times over. I do not need to "prove" my training or ability to be safe to any business or to any state any further than I already have.

As an American, I fully understand and respect that your private property rights overrule my RK&BA. As an avid Open Carrier, a Second Amendment Activist and consumer I will not go disarmed and therefore unfortunately cannot patronize your store, nor recommend it to my friends on OCDO as long as your policy against Open Carry is in effect. I would most certainly hate to see [business name] added to a list of "Businesses that Ban Guns" located at http://www.friendorfoe.us

I invite you to come take a look at http://www.OpenCarry.org and visit our discussion at [insert web location]. We have thousands of members across the nation, some international members as well and are quite involved in supporting all gun rights not only in [your local] state, but across the nation. You will find that many if not most OC'ers are in the same category as me and have been thoroughly trained and some are even more acutely aware of the current firearms laws than most CC instructors, LEO's and politicians.

OC provides us the opportunity to engage and educate the public on not just the legality of OC but the fact that not only LEO's or criminals carry guns, but average Americans going about their daily lives. It certainly helps counter the stereotypes of gun carriers that have permeated the liberally biased media as of late. OC is also more comfortable and has been shown to be quite the crime deterrent.

I sincerely hope that you will reconsider your anti-OC policy and open your doors to myself and the rapidly growing number of Open Carriers here in the [local] area. I am available should you be willing to discuss this matter further.

I look forward to hearing from you and look forward to the day when I and the other OC'ers in [local area] can patronize your store.

Most Sincerely,
[OC'er]

Dreamer

OC business sample letter. Please pass it around & make the necessary adjustments for your state.

That's a pretty good letter, but I think that w need to remember the sort of people we're dealing with.

When a business does not have an official position of banning firearms, but some petty power-tripping manager decides to ban guns in "his" store, quoting the law, or tradition, or history won't sway them. They are not interested in facts. They are only interested in control, and are driven by emotion and irrational fear.

Talk about Susanne Huff and the Luby's incident. Talk about your family. Talk about holding them legally responsible for not providing for your "safety". Talk about your local police department response times. Talk about how the VAST majority of businesses that routinely get robbed at gun point are "gun free zones", and list some recent examples in your area.

These people don't want to hear facts, and don't want to be confused by the truth. They are power-hungry petty tyrants, and are operating purely on emotion and irrational fear. If we appeal to some fear that is greater than their fear of armed law-abiding citizens (like being SUED if something happens and they don't provide for your safety), they WILL listen to that. They need to know that they will be blackballed by a NATIONAL group with over 20,000 members. They need to know that we understand that they are more concerned with the "appearance" of safety than they are with actual valuing the safety and security of their patrons, and we are perfectly willing and able to "out" them for that...

I'm telling you people, we need to stop being so dainty with this issue, and we need to start acting like real "activists"...

mekender

no it is not written anywhere that you canot buy privately at 18. so i called the attorny generals office and i was told buy the att. gen. that i could buy handguns privately at 18 as long as i go get a purchase permit. he also stated that fed law of age restrictions only affects ffl sales. so win for us under 21

Ok but most sheriff's will not issue permits to those under 21. That is why I would love to see something in writing.

hckply04

Cabarrus county

i was reading the law on permits, i dont remember were but it states 18 is the age req for the permits.

call this number and they can get you all the info.
Law Enforcement Liaison Section
of the Department of Justice at (919) 716-6725.

Last edited:

elixin77

Remind me - do you need a PPP for a private firearm sale? I forget.

I believe you do, but I also remember reading that if you talk with the sheriff, and let him know that this is for a private transaction, then why not give the PPP to the applicant?

RayBurton72

yes you do need a permit

+1 ... There is no legal way to acquire a handgun in NC without either a NC Concealed Carry Permit or a pistol purchase permit (poorly named, but..)...

There are a few sheriff's who will issue the permit to 18-20 year olds for receiving a gift or inheritance from a parent.... But it is somewhat rare.