• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Well, Panera bread is a new battle ground.

Preble

High Point, North Carolina, United States
This is the emails.....ugh.
Looks like i am going to take me 100$ a month elsewhere.

John:

I understand that it is legal to carry an open holstered handgun in NC. If
you're not a police officer then the customers do become uneasy. I would
prefer that you didn't carry in the open in our Cafes. I know you can by law
and I will speak to the managers at the High Point location about your right
to carry. However they don't have to agree with it or like it and our
preference would be that you didn't. We don't want the attention that it
draws from other customers. I don't know why you would need to carry a hand
gun into my Cafes unless you were a police officer. Please feel free to
contact me further about this situation if needed.

Thank you,

John Bartlett
Operating Partner
336-803-2594

----- Original Message -----
To: "John Bartlett" <jbartle190@earthlink.net>; <francc@panerabread.com>
Sent: Wednesday, July 14, 2010 5:43 PM
Subject: Contact Us [My experience at Panera Bread] --- MESSAGEID(143648)
Wed, 14 Jul 2010 16:43:40 -0500

>
> This message was submitted through the Contact form on Panerabread.com
>
> My experience at Panera Bread
>
> This Message Concerns:
>
> Panera Bread
> High Point (#3710)
> 2400 Penny Road
> High Point, North Carolina, 27265
> Phone: (336) 812-4593
> Fax: (336) 812-3465
>
>
> John Eldridge
> trackertracker1@hotmail.com
> Phone: (336) 740-0671
>
>
> ****
>
>
>
> Hi,
>
> I eat in your stores ALL the time. I love the food, the service is always
> great. I open Carry my hand gun (here in North Carolina you can open carry
> a handgun just about anywhere) The other day i was in the store and a
> Manager(don't feel like i should call out names unless you need it)
> hassled me about it, but NEVER asked me to leave or i would have and not
> came back. Today said manager told an employee that know me personally,
> not to come back with my gun. My question, what is your store policy on
> firearms, and if I'm not in the wrong can you contact them and let know
> that i can be in the store?
>
>
> ****
>
>
>
> This message was sent to: John Bartlett [jbartle190@earthlink.net]
> ,francc@panerabread.com

Preble

Just sent another email.....If Panera puts up no gun signs, Im going to pre apologize. I really couldn't hold my mouth....

". I don't know why you would need to carry a hand
gun into my Cafes unless you were a police officer."

ugh. what an anti gun thing to say.

Dreamer

I visit the Panera in Greenville about twice a month, and OC each time, and I've NEVER got a hassle. One female clerk there even flirted with me, using a compliment on my Para as an opening line... ;)

I've eaten in Paneras ALL up and down I-95 in NC and VA with never an issue. I've visited Paneras in PA and WV while OCing and never had so much as a second look...

Sorry to hear your local Panera manager is such a hoplophobic putz.

Sounds like we have a venue for the July "OC Meet-Up" in High Point! Better get the "MeetUp" page started, before they post the signs...

Smokehouse Turkey Panini's anyone? Heck, I might even drive the 2+ hours for that one... ;)

I'm assuming you mean THIS one:

High Point (#3710)
2400 Penny Road
High Point, NC 27265
(336) 812-4593 - phone
(336) 812-3465 - fax

Last edited:

mekender

elixin77

I visit the Panera in Greenville about twice a month, and OC each time, and I've NEVER got a hassle. One female clerk there even flirted with me, using a compliment on my Para as an opening line... ;)

Dreamer and I had lunch at our local panera back in ...may? We didn't have any issues, but we also chose a booth to sit at as well. I sat against the wall, and noticed about 3 different groups of people staring at his Para, and then whisper among themselves, but that was about it. The most obvious of these people were a pair of elderly ladies, and one physically pointed to Dreamer's hip, and started whispering with her friend. I thought it was slightly humorous to see these little old ladies talk about his para.

Other then that, nothing bad happened. We had a nice lunch, and went on our merry way afterward.

Dreamer

They were probably telling each other that I had a LOT more firepower than their 5-shot .38specials in their purses offered, and wondering if Para makes a sub-compact they could fit in their handbags... :D

In Pitt County, over 25% of the CHP's are issued to females...

Last edited:

Preble

Ha, He emailed me back

I said "Like you I DON'T know when crime will happen." Then he called me at 7:25am...Didn't answer cause i'm still half asleep.

John:

I'm not going to trade words nor sarcasm with you. You asked what our policy was and I expressed to you my opinion and perception of the situation. I thought you open carried because it was your right, not that you would try to stop crime if it happened. I have no idea what your training is for those situations. If that is the reason you're open carrying then I don't want you to do so in our Cafes. I would prefer that you call me on Thursday to discuss this further so we can come to a resolution. I won't continue this conversation through e-mail.

Anthony_I_Am

Luby's customer Suzanna Hupp had actually brought a handgun to the Luby's Cafeteria that day but left it in her vehicle because laws in force at the time forbade citizens from carrying firearms. After she realized that her firearm was not in her purse but "a hundred feet away in [her] car," her father charged at Hennard in an attempt to subdue him but was gunned down; a short time later, Hupp's mother was also shot and killed. According to her later testimony in favor of Missouri's HB-1720 bill and in general, Hupp expressed regret for abiding by the law in question by leaving her firearm in her car rather than keeping it on her person.

Attachments

• Image2.jpg
    Image2.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 229
Last edited:

Anthony_I_Am

Not bashing you or anything, but had you concentrated on your grammer and punctuation a little more, you might have come across as something other than a 15 year old.

Hi,
>
> I eat in your stores ALL the time. I love the food, the service is always
> great. I open Carry my hand gun (here in North Carolina you can open carry
> a handgun just about anywhere) The other day i was in the store and a
> Manager(don't feel like i should call out names unless you need it)
> hassled me about it, but NEVER asked me to leave or i would have and not
> came back. Today said manager told an employee that know me personally,
> not to come back with my gun. My question, what is your store policy on
> firearms, and if I'm not in the wrong can you contact them and let know
> that i can be in the store?

Ruger

Occupied Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
When should we meet up there?

I live & work about 5 minutes from this particular Panera. I thought about OC'ing there during my lunch break today, but I'm CC'ing at the moment (@ work). My M-TAC holster doesn't lend well to OC :p

Oh well...

It appears this guy thinks you are wanting to fight crime in his store(s). Maybe just approach it form the personal protection angle? Obviously this guy isn't familiar with the Luby's Massacre. Really though, I'm not surprised about that. Prior to becoming a gun owner & reading up on all the pro 2A activism stuff, I didn't know about it either. I was 10 years old when it happened.

r1dramma

Not bashing you or anything, but had you concentrated on your grammer and punctuation a little more, you might have come across as something other than a 15 year old.

Your a funny man,the OP is coming across like a 15yr old what about the pic you posted this morning on that other thread and then deleted? That was very mature of you!!!!!!
Oh by the way not bashing you or anything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To the original OP I apologize not trying to jack your thread!!

Last edited:

Racer X

Ok. I'm now wanting some Panera. I didn't bring my OC holster to work so lunch time wouldn't work for me.

Dinner, lunch tomorrow. What's the plan?

Last edited:

Anthony_I_Am

Your a funny man,the OP is coming across like a 15yr old what about the pic you posted this morning on that other thread and then deleted? That was very mature of you!!!!!!
Oh by the way not bashing you or anything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To the original OP I apologize not trying to jack your thread!!

Well, my post didn't get sent to the head of some corp. where I was trying to make an intelligent impression. If you didn't think my post was intelligent or in humor I don't give a nickels worth a shlt. But if you are going to try to represent the gun carrying public you should at least try to use capital "I" and somewhat correct punctuation.

i think it makes a differnce if you, can use some proper speling and some grammer and some periods and not use run-on sentences and stuff like that when i contact some business onwer and argue that i am smart enough to carry a gun in his place of business and ask him if i can come back and if he can tell the manager to let me, come there to his cafe.

But I could be wrong.

Last edited:

r1dramma

Well, my post didn't get sent to the head of some corp. where I was trying to make an intelligent impression. If you didn't think my post was intelligent or in humor I don't give a nickels worth a shlt. But if you are going to try to represent the gun carrying public you should at least try to use capital "I" and somewhat correct punctuation.

i think it makes a differnce if you, can use some proper speling and some grammer and some periods and not use run-on sentences and stuff like that when i contact some business onwer and argue that i am smart enough to carry a gun in his place of business and ask him if i can come back and if he can tell the manager to let me, come there to his cafe.

But I could be wrong.

difference & spelling look above! This isn't the proper venue for this so take your nickels worth of **** and enjoy it for breakfast!!!!!!

elixin77

They were probably telling each other that I had a LOT more firepower than their 5-shot .38specials in their purses offered, and wondering if Para makes a sub-compact they could fit in their handbags... :D

In Pitt County, over 25% of the CHP's are issued to females...

I'd rather they have those 5-shot .38 specials then nothing at all, though. Something is better then nothing.

Want to get lunch sometime again at panera? You busy Sunday?

Dreamer

I'd rather they have those 5-shot .38 specials then nothing at all, though. Something is better then nothing.

If memory serves, I believe Susanne Huffs famous firearm (the one she had to leace in the car at Lubys) was a S&W revolver...

Want to get lunch sometime again at panera? You busy Sunday?

I could make that happen... Name a time...

elixin77

If memory serves, I believe Susanne Huffs famous firearm (the one she had to leace in the car at Lubys) was a S&W revolver...

I could make that happen... Name a time...

I work at 3, so shoot for high noon? I might see if I can get a friend to tag along - he's still kind of iffy on the concept of OC, so maybe this will help.

Last edited: