• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Possible Unconstitutional Firearm Restrictions

Jared

Good find, reading it now, it's long, but page 74 looks at common restrictions and how they may or may not be constitutional.

Brian,

A lot of this applies to MI. Did you ever get a chance to look over the bill draft I sent you?

I think a lot of stuff can be challenged now. The non resident pistol registration ban does not pass muster. Our knife laws and other weapon laws definately do not pass muster.

The home state permit nonsense violates equal protection as well as the non-immigrant CPL ban.

The disqualifiers for a CPL (except for felonies and mentally unfit) are not constitutional.

The 0.02 alcohol limit is not consitutional. You can be 0.079 and legally operate a motor vehicle, but not exercise a right?

Any thoughts Brian?

PDinDetroit

A LONG and detailed analysis of which firearm laws could be deemed unconstitutional post Heller and McDonald...

http://www.law.ucla.edu/volokh/2am.pdf

I did a high-level scan of linked document. Some of the points made, especially around magazine capacity restrictions, appear to be slated towards a specific viewpoint and are easily assailable. I may have some more time this weekend and would do some more reading then.

RabbiVJ

Campaign Veteran
I read it this morning, a lot of it definitely applies...Eugene Volokh is a pretty damn good law professor...

sasha601

How do we go by challanging these restrictions that this article found assailabel? Who would file law suits? Can anybody file or just these individuals who suffered losses under the laws we want to challenge? In what court?

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
Brian,

A lot of this applies to MI. Did you ever get a chance to look over the bill draft I sent you?

I think a lot of stuff can be challenged now. The non resident pistol registration ban does not pass muster. Our knife laws and other weapon laws definately do not pass muster.

The home state permit nonsense violates equal protection as well as the non-immigrant CPL ban.

The disqualifiers for a CPL (except for felonies and mentally unfit) are not constitutional.

The 0.02 alcohol limit is not consitutional. You can be 0.079 and legally operate a motor vehicle, but not exercise a right?

Any thoughts Brian?
Email sent.