• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

police scanner

Master Control

more than simple, ty all who participated

your very welcome kryptonian, I personally think that is was a very good post. it gave a few of us open carriers a opportunity to exchange & express viewpoints in a attempt to get some clairifaction and dispell some thoughts or concerns that we might all have had or have. it's that kind of post that I know keeps me on my toes and possibly away from a unpleasant LEO encounter, Thank You for sharing. ^5

Tomas

Sorry, but I must step in here and clearly state that I know of NO cellphone "that will receive signals sent on a frequency assigned by the federal communications commission of the United States for police or other law enforcement, fire fighting, emergency medical, federal, state, or local corrections, or homeland security purposes."

To get those police calls on your cellphone requires an app that allows the cellphone to access an internet site that has received the signal then passed it to an internet server.

All the cellphone app is doing is receiving an audio feed of the calls sent over the internet and eventually to the cellphone as digital data.

At no time is the cellphone doing ANYTHING on police frequencies, etc.

As a tech I can see NO way that the law as written applies to a cellphone, since a cellphone is incapable if receiving those radio frequencies assigned to police, fire, etc.

A cellphone is not a scanner any more than your average desktop computer is.

DetroitAutoworker

Sorry, but I must step in here and clearly state that I know of NO cellphone "that will receive signals sent on a frequency assigned by the federal communications commission of the United States for police or other law enforcement, fire fighting, emergency medical, federal, state, or local corrections, or homeland security purposes."

To get those police calls on your cellphone requires an app that allows the cellphone to access an internet site that has received the signal then passed it to an internet server.

All the cellphone app is doing is receiving an audio feed of the calls sent over the internet and eventually to the cellphone as digital data.

As a tech I can see NO way that the law as written applies to a cellphone, since a cellphone is incapable if receiving those radio frequencies assigned to police, fire, etc.

I agree with you fully, there is no cell phone in the world capable of directly receiving a radio transmission on police, fire, etc frequencies. However, I do know that the law can be very vague, and in vague cases the meaning of the law is decided by judges and juries as to how it applies to a particular case. With that said, SINCE a phone is technically a radio in and of itself, I would personally still be concerned with the possibility of being harassed 'should' LEO somehow be aware that I was listening to their radio transmissions using the phone. You know as well as I do there is ALWAYS some cop out there trying to flex his muscle and some prosecutor willing to play along to boost his conviction ratings. I personally wouldn't risk being charged unless I had the time to play along with them and risk being convicted. Luckily for me, this is of no concern to me anyway as I am a licensed Amateur Radio operator.

Agent1

Thanks for clearing that up.

http://appshopper.com/medical/police-scanner