• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Need Some Advice Selecting A Handgun

Archangel

But I would not choose a 9mm period. While it's better than nothing it doesn't have the knock down I would want. I would save a little while longer and buy nothing less than a .40 cal. To CC I carry a Taurus PT140. I will maybe upgrade that to a .45 at some time. My brother has a Kahr .45 the conceal version and absolutely loves it. It's only drawback to me is it's a six round capacity.

To those who say 9mm doesn't have enough power I say: Ever been shot by one? I have and I can tell you... it SUCKS. In my case it was a ricochet into body armor which is why I am still here. A frontal shot in the same spot with no vest and I would have assumed room temperature.

More people have been killed by 9mm than almost any other cartridge. It has more than adequate power, is accurate, and allows for quick follow up shots. Ammo is plentiful and CHEAP, which encourages more frequent practice. Always a good thing.

I carry a Springfield XD Compact 45 most of the time, but I also carry an XDsc in 9mm. My wife carries a Browning Hi-Power in 9mm or her Springfield XDsc 9mm.

Best advice? Try a lot of guns at the range and go with the most powerful caliber you are comfortable with and can get good hits on the target with. Consistent hits in the A-Zone with a .380 or 9mm beat lots of misses with a .40 or .45 any day of the week.

Practice. A LOT. Practice drawing from your concealment rig. If you carry for defense, look up a local IDPA group and shoot a few events. Don't worry about speed. Practice being smooth. Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.

Last edited:

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
My first handgun was a Springfield XD in .45ACP. I can't tell you how much I love that gun. I still carry it quite frequently. It come with some cool accessories and is definitely within you price range. Once you decide what gun you want look for it on Gunbroker because 99% of the time you can get it there cheaper than any local gun store.

jrmyclry1

A .357 packs a punch. Unless you try shooting one first and get used to it I would suggest and revolver thats a little more forgiving. A revolver chambered in .38 is what I suggest. But...... a .357 also can shoot .38 special rounds. If you get a .357 and practice with .38 rounds and chamber .357 for defensive rounds.... well.... You've got yourself a manstopper to say the least.....

me812

But...... a .357 also can shoot .38 special rounds.

Yes, and that's exactly the beauty of a magnum revolver. It can shoot cartridges of many different power levels with recoil from everything from mild to wild. If he finds the blast and kick of full-house magnum loads to be too much, he can load it with .38 Special (or .44 Special or .45 LC or what have you) for personal defense - and in the meantime practice with hotter loads until he gets proficient enough to use them.

The "perfection" concept didn't start with Glock, it started with the magnum revolver, IMHO.

Cavalryman

Campaign Veteran
I'm in the camp with the guys that recommend a .357 magnum revolver for your first handgun. It is, in my opinion, the single most versatile chambering by far. It can be loaded with small shot for rats and snakes all the way up to stuff that will reliably stop a black bear and everything in between. You don't get a lot of rounds compared to a semi-auto, but real gunfights are rarely protracted and with practice, a revolver can be reloaded very rapidly. I'd recommend a medium-frame double-action like Smith and Wesson or Ruger. A medium-frame revolver with a 4" barrel can be easily concealed by almost anyone in a good holster.

There's a lot to be said for semi-autos, and my everyday carry gun is a Wilson M1911 in .45 ACP, but that's because I own a truckload of guns and I can change handguns according to my plans. If I were forced to get rid of all my handguns but one, the one I'd keep is a medium-framed .357 magnum. If this is going to be your only handgun for a while, go with versatility. BTW, for self-defense the 125 grain .357 magnum hollow-point is rated very highly as a crime-stopper. Some experts rate it the cartridge most likely to make the miscreant cease hostile activities with a single shot.

simmonsjoe

Not recommending 357 revolver.

I'm dissenting on this one. Don't get it twisted, I love revolvers. I love 357 magnums. They require more skill to operate effectively than auto-loaders. They require skillful trigger control to be more accurate than a few feet away. They typically have a very small round count of 5-6. Reloading a revolver, under stress, is impossible without a lot of repetitive training (yes, even with a speed-loader). When I say a lot I mean a lot.

With a striker-fired pistol, you have a much, much easier trigger. You typically have many more rounds than a revolver, and even if you do run out, inserting a new magazine under stress is much easier than a revolver reload.

Revolvers do benefit from being extremely reliable. They can't jam. (You can fire them from inside your coat pocket if need be.)
Except for ultralight J-frames, any mid-size or larger revolver is much heavier than a comparable auto-loader.
((as example, my Taurus 357mag, midsize stainless 4" is over 40oz loaded with 6 rounds. My G19, with 16 rounds is 30oz))

Contrary to popular opinion, they do make shot shells for auto-loaders.

.38spl ammo costs more than 9mm or 40s&w for plinking. (although you tend to burn though your ammo much slower!)

Last edited:

Jack House

Thanks for all the info, guys. It's been really helpful!

What do you guys think about Cabela's? Like how are their prices compared with other dealers? What are their selections like? I've only been to Cabela's once, and it's so far out that I can't really afford to make a bunch of return trips unfortunately. So your input would be much appreciated.

Don Barnett

As You Can See...You Are Getting ALOT of Advice...

I'm dissenting on this one. Don't get it twisted, I love revolvers. I love 357 magnums. They require more skill to operate effectively than auto-loaders. They require skillful trigger control to be more accurate than a few feet away. They typically have a very small round count of 5-6. Reloading a revolver, under stress, is impossible without a lot of repetitive training (yes, even with a speed-loader). When I say a lot I mean a lot.

With a striker-fired pistol, you have a much, much easier trigger. You typically have many more rounds than a revolver, and even if you do run out, inserting a new magazine under stress is much easier than a revolver reload.

Revolvers do benefit from being extremely reliable. They can't jam. (You can fire them from inside your coat pocket if need be.)
Except for ultralight J-frames, any mid-size or larger revolver is much heavier than a comparable auto-loader.
((as example, my Taurus 357mag, midsize stainless 4" is over 40oz loaded with 6 rounds. My G19, with 16 rounds is 30oz))

Contrary to popular opinion, they do make shot shells for auto-loaders.

.38spl ammo costs more than 9mm or 40s&w for plinking. (although you tend to burn though your ammo much slower!)

You asked for it...so you are getting it...ADVICE...and plenty of it.

I concur that a semi is better for carrying a lot of rounds, shooting faster and more accurately, and being able to reload faster IF YOU NEED TO. I watched an old movie yesterday: "Silence of the Lambs" and watched Jodie Foster, portraying the FBI Special Agent, reload her service revolver with a speed loader while under stress. I can see why Law Enforcement Officers carry semis.

But, what are you going to be doing with the gun? Carrying it a lot, using it for target practice, using it PRIMARILY for personal defense? AND are you going to be in a situation where you have to have a lot of ammo. You have to decide given cost, weight, personal preference, etc. It is going to be your gun and you have to be comfortable with it.

If you do decide on a revolver and use it for personal defense, it IS harder to fire it fast and accurate, just like Simmonjoe says, and you HAVE to practice that; there is a point during the double action trigger pull when the cylinder locks the next round in place and the hammer is fully cocked...then the rest of the pull is "like" a semi...BUT...finding that place takes A LOT OF PRACTICE!!!!!

I saw shotloads for .45 ACP but for the life of me, I can't see how they would function, as the action relys on recoil...and there IS no recoil from a shot load.

me812

[Revolvers] require skillful trigger control to be more accurate than a few feet away.

The vast majority of personal defense encounters happen at very close range.

You typically have many more rounds than a revolver, and even if you do run out, inserting a new magazine under stress is much easier than a revolver reload.

Studies show that the vast majority (about 99%) of civilian personal defense situations are resolved within 6 shots. And, incidentally, if your revolver is cut for moon clips, reloading the revolver is just as simple and easy.

I concur that a semi is better for carrying a lot of rounds, shooting faster and more accurately, and being able to reload faster IF YOU NEED TO. I watched an old movie yesterday: "Silence of the Lambs" and watched Jodie Foster, portraying the FBI Special Agent, reload her service revolver with a speed loader while under stress. I can see why Law Enforcement Officers carry semis.

Police are far more likely to find themselves in a situation where they'll need more than six shots, due to the nature of the work they do.

Last edited:

simmonsjoe

Lol

Moon clips ≠ simple and easy.
Go to an IDPA match and watch someone shoot ESR. time their reloads from last shot to next shot.

It is still more complicated, and more difficult with the loss of fine motor skills.

kwikrnu

Banned
Thanks for all the info, guys. It's been really helpful!

What do you guys think about Cabela's? Like how are their prices compared with other dealers? What are their selections like? I've only been to Cabela's once, and it's so far out that I can't really afford to make a bunch of return trips unfortunately. So your input would be much appreciated.

whatg about buds gun shop? They usually ahve a lot of used guns at fair prices.

Don Barnett

That's Why I'm in the Revolver "Camp"

[Revolvers] require skillful trigger control to be more accurate than a few feet away.

The vast majority of personal defense encounters happen at very close range.

You typically have many more rounds than a revolver, and even if you do run out, inserting a new magazine under stress is much easier than a revolver reload.

Studies show that the vast majority (about 99%) of civilian personal defense situations are resolved within 6 shots. And, incidentally, if your revolver is cut for moon clips, reloading the revolver is just as simple and easy.

Police are far more likely to find themselves in a situation where they'll need more than six shots, due to the nature of the work they do.

This is exactly why I am in the revolver "camp". I am NOT an LEO and do not expect to be involved in a long protracted shoot out. I want the gun to get me out of a tight situation so I can "get out of Dodge".

Police in my County also carry short barrel shotguns, with OO Buck, in their squad cars.

You can prepare yourself for just so much but there has to be a practical limit. I am getting old, have a bad back, and don't want to carry a lot of ammo around with me.

I was at the Carroll County Courthouse in Westminster, Maryland on Friday taking care of some Estate Probate business, and had go through all the metal detectors. One of the two Baliffs had a revolver; both were very friendly and were exceptionally nice to my granddaughter, who was in tow, as she had to turn over her i-pod and camera phone and was a bit nervous. I jokingly mentioned that I had not seen an LEO with a revolver in quite some time. He mentioned that he carries it on Fridays as not much happens on those days.

Anyway, have fun deciding. Let us know what you settle on!

Don Barnett

WOW! I Wish I Had the $$ to Buy a Wilson!

I'm in the camp with the guys that recommend a .357 magnum revolver for your first handgun. It is, in my opinion, the single most versatile chambering by far. It can be loaded with small shot for rats and snakes all the way up to stuff that will reliably stop a black bear and everything in between. You don't get a lot of rounds compared to a semi-auto, but real gunfights are rarely protracted and with practice, a revolver can be reloaded very rapidly. I'd recommend a medium-frame double-action like Smith and Wesson or Ruger. A medium-frame revolver with a 4" barrel can be easily concealed by almost anyone in a good holster.

There's a lot to be said for semi-autos, and my everyday carry gun is a Wilson M1911 in .45 ACP, but that's because I own a truckload of guns and I can change handguns according to my plans. If I were forced to get rid of all my handguns but one, the one I'd keep is a medium-framed .357 magnum. If this is going to be your only handgun for a while, go with versatility. BTW, for self-defense the 125 grain .357 magnum hollow-point is rated very highly as a crime-stopper. Some experts rate it the cartridge most likely to make the miscreant cease hostile activities with a single shot.

Wow! A Wilson as a carry gun! No wonder you carry a semi!

As far as the 125 gr .357 Magnum being the best cartridge to "end a gunfight" with one shot, I think other newer cartridges have taken over that distinction; but that is not to say that cartridge is not formidable. I believe that it was up there with the .45 ACP 230 grain Golden Sabers some years ago. There is some webpage that rates the rounds as to their stopping power and I think the .40 cal tops the list now. Also, the new .327 Mag rates highly.

But, I am not going to buy a .40 cal. That would mean more reloading dies, bullets, etc. The .357 Mag and .45 ACP are still fine with me.

Anyway...shot placement means a lot.

I agree with you on the handgun to pick if you had to only have one...either that or the .44 Magnum...probably a Ruger Redhawk with 5 1/2" barrel.

kwikrnu

Banned
Wow! A Wilson as a carry gun! No wonder you carry a semi!

Get a wilson custom in a .40s&w.

kahr1.jpg

Jack House

I'm not going with a revolver, weight really isn't a big concern. I am a big guy, the weight wouldn't really be that noticeable. I've decided to go with a nine, mainly for the price factor.

On a side note: I fired a 9mm today for the first time, I only fired one round. I was unfortunately in a hurry, so I had to say no after the one shot. :(

I can't remember what the recoil was like, only two things I remember. It was loud(was standing on a porch when I fired it) and it threw the casing pretty far. :lol:

Jack House

whatg about buds gun shop? They usually ahve a lot of used guns at fair prices.
I got a coupon in the mail that gives a $150 gift card if you spend $500 or more at Cabela's. I might be getting a second job soon, so money problems might not be as big of an issue as I thought it would.

As it stands though, I only have $425 and only working 3.5 hours this week. =( Though on the upside, it is my birthday this weekend, so I might get some cash from family for that. And I might get my mother to "loan" me a couple hundred if need be. Technically, they still owe me like $400(but I don't expect to ever see that money again). :lol: