• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anyone carry a Kel-tec p-11 for open or conceal carry

boomer92266

i have a p11, but i carry my sccy cpx1 which is very similar except the cpx has a safety. i open carry here in ky. most places as i do not have a permit yet. my p11 is very reliable and i would not hesitate on carrying it but i like the cpx1 because its a little more accurate and has the safety.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
There was a time when I did years ago when I first received my CHP in '95. I sold that gun in '06. They're not bad guns for carry and they will serve your purpose. Don't use +P+ ammo in them and if you chose to go with +P, fire that sparingly. Consider a trigger shoe and since the gun is so easy to take apart, a nice tune up with an emory board works wonders for the action.

markand

Not such a good experience with my P-11

I've had a Keltec P-11 for quite a few years, but I won't carry it for self-defense. I've never been able to fire more than twenty rounds without a failure to feed or eject. Slide had very rough machining marks on it causing the slide to stop on rebound before it went back into battery. Slide was replaced by Keltec. Firing pin broke. Slide lock lever broke. Assembly pin had to be replaced. Keltec customer service has been great. They replaced the broken parts without question. I sent the entire gun back a couple of years ago and they worked on it free of charge. Unfortunately, it still has failure to feed and eject problems. Not limp-wristing it either. It has FTF/FTE problems when held 2 handed, firmly, on a sandbag rest. Many other people, however, have had great experience with their P-11's. Perhaps I've just got an older lemon.

The size is great for concealed carry, even pocket carry. Nice to have a 9mm in such a small package. I keep it and keep trying to get it running reliably because its such an attractive package.

jeeper1

I have one that I used to carry until I got my XD40. Never had a problem with it but I don't carry it any more.

blade10

The WORST part of the P11 is the trigger. It is VERY long and "hard." It takes some practice to be accurate at distance, especially if you are used to shooting SA guns. Keep in mind that with the P11 the long hard trigger is the safety. Read: You wont pull 8.5 lbs an inch (give or take, never measured it) by accident! IMO, If you complain about the trigger you are probably expecting a range queen instead of a weapon for personal protection.

As far as reliability, with almost 1200 rounds thru mine I have broken two slide locks. The magazine in one case emptied properly, and was one cartridge short of empty the other time because the broken slide lock caused a "funny" recoil that I stopped shooting to inspect. The second case was the worst - the broken slide lock actually jammed the slide. NOTHING happened that if you practice (and you should) RTB/jam excersises would have stopped the gun from shooting.

Side note:This slide lock breakage was, I suspect, caused by cheap steel case ammo that was used before I found out steel case is not recommended to be used in the gun. Kel Tec has sent replacement parts fast - most excellent customer service!

Regarding FTF/FTE, From memory:
2 FTFeed, both prior to polishing the feed ramp. Zero since
1 FTFire, winchester white box. I recall clicking on it several times without a bang. After a minute and unloading, the said cartridge was well marked from the hammer. It was just a dud. Wheres my refund walmart? LOL!
1 FTE when intentionally limp wristing. It took a LOT of attempts to get an error when limp wristing. Maybe I grip hard to begin with, but I dont know. It just isnt the issue some people make it out to be.

Correct my math, please, but I calculate the above as working out to be a 0.3% chance the gun will not fire. (0.5% if you count the slide lock breaking, but that didnt stop the shooting.) 99.5% to 99.7% seems pretty reliable to me.

@markand - the FTF and FTE are both normally easy to remedy. FTF is almost always related to the feed ramp and polishing will usually solve it. Im curious as to the ammo, number of rounds thru the gun, whats been done to it so far, and basic history. Feel free to PM me, since I dont want to hijack the thread into being "how to fix-a-p11." You might also try ktog.org (Im not a member there, but do read sometimes.) And if your ready to give up, I would be happy to toss out an offer to you of $100-150 for it give/take depending on overall condition.

Anyhow, for what it is worth, I mostly open carry the P11 with an IWB. Its so small no one seems to really notice it. (mine is black/blued.) When I cc its the same setup, just the shirt untucked. Of course, one in the chamber anytime its on me.

Bottom line: What it is not: an XD or 1911. What it is: Small, light, high capacity, inexpensive (300-350 new), very reliable, easy to find, and very worth it if your intended use is self defense...

PS - been a member of the forum for awhile, but as you can tell i post a lot. LOL! Maybe that will change!

Blade

Last edited:

Las Vegan

I'm OCing my P-11 while awaiting my CC permit. It's small, light, comfortable to carry, and it holds 15-rounds of 9mm +P. I bought mine new many years ago (very low serial number) and I've never regretted it.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Bought a P-11 for my significant other - she loves it and carries it 24/7.

Very potent small package - many LEOs used them as BUGs.

Daddyo

I bought a PF9 originally to be a pocket carry for summertime with shorts. It has since become my everyday carry weapon. I've gotten an open top holster from Kirkpatrick for it and have started OCing with it whenever I can.
I did a fluff and buff on it before I even shot it and it has never failed on me in any way. The trigger pull is not especially stiff, but is so long I tend to jerk it at the the end simply because I get tired of waiting.
For what it is, it's great...7 rounds of 9mm in something about the size and weight of most .32's.
I shoot only standard 9mm in the Keltec for practice, but carry 115gr +P Gold Dots.
One thing I have noticed is that I get more "why are you carrying a gun" comments when I OC the Keltec than when I carry my big ol' Ruger P89.

golddigger14s

Activist Member
Pf-9

I have a PF-9 that I've never had a problem with shooting generic low budget target ammo with. I have Hornady Critical Defense for actual self defense that I haven't shot yet, but will report when I do.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I have a PF-9 that I've never had a problem with shooting generic low budget target ammo with. I have Hornady Critical Defense for actual self defense that I haven't shot yet, but will report when I do.

Would not carry for self-defense what I had not tested extensively for reliability in that particular gun.

StogieC

Campaign Veteran
Another vote for the SCCY CPX-1 if you want a small double stack 9mm. The trigger is MUCH better on the SCCY than the P-11 IMnotsoHO.

I also have the Kel-Tec PF-9 for when I want something even smaller.
The PF-9 is sometimes the only thing I can properly conceal in Florida summer attire.

lx_1537

I carry my P11 when ever my glock can't come along. My experience with my p11 is pretty bad. 4-5 FTF, 2 FTE, and sent it to back to kel tec 2 times to get it fix. Don't shoot +p+ or nato rounds through it. I wouldn't even shoot +p load in my p11 that's the reason why I sent it back. 5 rounds of +p load and my p11 F*** up.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I carry my P11 when ever my glock can't come along. My experience with my p11 is pretty bad. 4-5 FTF, 2 FTE, and sent it to back to kel tec 2 times to get it fix. Don't shoot +p+ or nato rounds through it. I wouldn't even shoot +p load in my p11 that's the reason why I sent it back. 5 rounds of +p load and my p11 F*** up.

It is a pocket pistol, a back up - not a hand cannon - have had one in the stable for several years now and not the first malfunction.

"The P11 will accept +P ammunition, however not with continuous use. -- for practice so that you are proficient) but not a regular and continuous basis (as in your regular practice load)."
http://www.ktog.org/ammo.htm

HeroHog

I carry one and have been quite happy with it. The trigger IS long and heavy but manageable. Other than breaking the ejector (probably my fault for slamming home a cheap magazine that made contact) which Kel-Tec replaced at no charge (they sent the part, I installed it).

lx_1537

It is a pocket pistol, a back up - not a hand cannon - have had one in the stable for several years now and not the first malfunction.

"The P11 will accept +P ammunition, however not with continuous use. -- for practice so that you are proficient) but not a regular and continuous basis (as in your regular practice load)."
http://www.ktog.org/ammo.htm

of course I know continuous use of +p is not good for the p11 but when i got my p11 I took it to the range and and put 5 round of +p load through it and the trigger wouldn't reset....so disappointing...so far 200 rds through it(with ball ammo) with 2 FTE, 4-5 FTF...as long as it still goes bang, I'm good with it.