• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

U.S. pockets $20.6 bln in sin taxes in FY'09 for Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Ammo.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
http://in.reuters.com/article/idINIndia-50132620100714

EXCERPT said:
In October 2009, firearms and ammunition excise tax collection climbed 45 percent from the previous fiscal year, the greatest annual increase in the firearms tax revenue in the agency's history, the report said. By comparison, the average annual increase for fiscal years 1993 to 2008 was 6 percent.
Who was it here, touting incremental gun-control from the right? Here it is in increments of a percent! Compromise is failure on the installment plan. Only the individual end user pays a tax.

Dreamer

The saddest part of that report is that most of that money does NOT go toward fixing any problems that may arise from illegal activity. It goes to further expand the bureaucracy of oppression by hiring more "agents", buying more surveillance gear, mounting cameras on every street corner, and developing training programs to brainwash street cops that the American People are all potential terrorists, and training business owners, public officials and clergy to spy on their community and spew "slave mentality" propaganda to the citizenry...

I don't mind paying a small tax on alcohol, tobacco, and firearms if that money is actually going to support fighting REAL crime like counterfeiting, smuggling, and distributing dangerous products. But I do have issues with rolling that money back into creating a "bigger monster". The government is NOT supposed to be a corporation--it does NO GOOD to our society when it expands it's numbers, it's power, and it's influence...