• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC/CC Question

MKIIIRobby

I plan on going to Northwest Trek this weekend, and I was wondering if I can OC/CC there? I searched around their website for a bit and couldn't find any info, maybe I missed it. Any useful help would be greatly appreciated!! :D Thanks!

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Governance & Finances
Governance
Northwest Trek is owned and operated by Metro Parks Tacoma. Dr. David and Connie Hellyer donated Trek's land to Metro Parks in 1971, and the park opened four years later.
Metro Parks operates 70-plus parks in Tacoma, including Point Defiance Zoo & Aquarium and Tacoma Nature Center which, along with Trek, form the Zoological and Environmental Education Department.
Two governing boards oversee Trek's budget, policies and projects: The Metro Parks Tacoma Board of Commissioners and the Zoo Trek Authority (ZTA).

Finances
Northwest Trek is publicly supported by a portion of the Pierce County sales tax. In the fall of 2000, Pierce County voters approved to increase the sales tax one-tenth of a percent to help Northwest Trek, its sister facility Point Defiance Zoo & Aquarium and Pierce County parks. Half of Trek's entire budget comes from that Pierce County sales tax. Other revenues come from admission fees, gift shop and restaurant sales and membership sales.

http://www.nwtrek.org/page.php?id=50
Northwest Trek falls under the cognizance/administration of Metro Parks Tacoma. As such, it falls under state preemption, and, therefore, firearms cannot be prohibited there, by law. We've gotten Tacoma to remove the no firearms signs at other parks they operate, so they do know about preemption.

Therefore, OC would be legal.

MKIIIRobby

Ok so now I'm even more confused.... lol! :p Should I just call and ask? I would like to carry, but I dont want any trouble and just want to have a good time looking at the animals. :)

bennie1986

Ok so now I'm even more confused.... lol! :p Should I just call and ask? I would like to carry, but I dont want any trouble and just want to have a good time looking at the animals. :)

I wouldn’t call and ask because most likely you will talk to someone who doesn’t know the laws and will give you a default no. If someone confronts you just politely explain that its legal.

07Altima

Carried my Fire arm Today

I was at NW Trek today for several hours with my kids, mom, and wife. I was OC for part of the time, and CC for part of the time. I was never given any harassment for the firearm. There are no signs saying no firearms! There are no signs saying anything in regards to firearms in any fashion. I had two park staff talking about it, one was grumbling about how it was BS that I had it there, the other said it was legal, and he had to just deal with it. When we were standing in line I could tell some people were uneasy, others were almost in disgust however as time went on, and I participated in the questions, and pointing out animals on the road people seemed much more receptive. After we finished with the tram several people who looked at me with horror were looking at me in a different light! there was on man in front of me who changed his tune altogether saw my firearm, and smirked. I had no comments nothing negative from parents who were there with little kids. I overheard one mom say something about how I must care about my kids or something along those lines. Heard one kid ask her dad what it was, and why I had it. He said something to her about it is for protecting his family, it was kind of funny cause she then asked her dad if it was for protection how come he didnt have one :D All in all it was the most positive experience with a open firearm around large groups of kids I have ever been able to be apart of. I am proud of NW Trek for being understanding, following the law, and allowing my family to enjoy the park un-harassed. I want to say thank you to those here who support our cause this is an awesome moment for me. I felt this was a positive move for OC, and I am glad to have been apart of it. For those of you who want to know I was carrying my Raging Judge 3 in. this hand gun reaches just shy of being more than half way down my thigh. This firearm is hard to hide, and stands out with a neon sign that says I am here. I dont need to draw attention to it as it does that just fine on its own. I have not had a seriously negative oc experience as of yet going on 11 mo.

golddigger14s

Activist Member
I OC'd at Woodland Park Zoo with no problem, just one guy with a simple non-negative question. Just as long as you don't open fire on the animals (especially the endangered species) they are OK with carrying.

cpgrad08

I OC'd at Woodland Park Zoo with no problem, just one guy with a simple non-negative question. Just as long as you don't open fire on the animals (especially the endangered species) they are OK with carrying.

How else do you try out a new gun to make sure it works? :)