• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CPL Eligibility

DetroitAutoworker

The law says that a person will not be issued a CPL if they are convicted of Operating under the influence, MCL 257.625 within 3 years prior to applying. Does anyone know for sure if a conviction of Operating While Visibly Impaired precludes issuance of a CPL? As far as I can tell, OWVI is part of 257.625 so I'm kind of thinking it would cause a denial in issuance.

malarchuk

Anyone stupid enough to drink and drive should never be issued a CPL. Who knows what other dumb decisions they will make and now they would have a concelaed gun.

PDinDetroit

IANAL

From an initial read of the law, I believe that you are correct that a CPL may be denied in the instance you specify. I would speak with your attorney about it to confirm. Even if you are denied a CPL, you can still Open Carry - make sure that you know the law, the following link will be of assistance:

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?67581-Michigan-open-carry-reference-chart/page4

FYI - the law you stated has been amended: http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?mcl-257-625-amended

Since this is a misdemeanor violation, could this be an instance where the recent SCOTUS Ruling in McDonald stating a "fundamental right of self-defense" could be utilized to strike down this CPL Provision?

WilDChilD

My brother inlaw was denied for the reason you just said. It only stated operating under the influnce while he was charged with impaired. That was in eaton county, plus they want a hundred dollars to appeal.

kryptonian

dwi / cpl

happened to me. waited 3 years and reapplied and got it back. i have since quit drinking by the way.

ElectricianLU58

Another example of why temperance in drinking is an absolute must in our society.

absolutely.

if you are not going to stay sober (and i have no problem with cutting loose once in a while), you should not get behind the wheel.

my wife is pregnant right now, so i have a designated driver if i do decide to have a few.

Last edited:

Haman J.T.

The law says that a person will not be issued a CPL if they are convicted of Operating under the influence, MCL 257.625 within 3 years prior to applying. Does anyone know for sure if a conviction of Operating While Visibly Impaired precludes issuance of a CPL? As far as I can tell, OWVI is part of 257.625 so I'm kind of thinking it would cause a denial in issuance.
In the law there is the 3 year list and the 8 year list of misdemeanors.They will ask you about your conviction and if you've been sober(attending AA etc.etc.).I went through wringer with them about a conviction in 94',from the 8 year list.I was first denied because their records were faulty(I was so pissed it took me 7 months to contact a lawyer about it,who said it was BS).Got a lawyer for $250,had to reapply,went in,they still had questions and said come back next month with supporting records,went back with 2 front page articles in the Macomb Daily about my OC picnic in Warren,picture of me and Ron talking to channel 4 news,which was on at 6pm that night,stated Article 1 Sec. 6 of the MI constitution and other laws pertaining to my right to recieve my CPL(in front of about 15 other people in the room) and my seriuosness of my right to protect myself and my 38 years of firearm experience! They thanked me and gave me my CPL!They will nit pic for sure if you have a record,but you have to stand up to them! I did and rightfully have my CPL!