• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

XD 45 vs XDM 45

bluesteelbass

Hello everyone. I am thinking of purchasing a Springfield 45 ACP pistol. My choices have been narrowed to the following: the XD, or the XDM. I had the pleasure of renting at the range an XD 45 to try out and loved how it felt and shot. However, I have not had the opportunity to shoot the XDM 45 model, but I have rented out and tried the 9mm XDM model. I preferred the XD 45 as far as accuracy was concerned for how I shoot, but I really want to compare "apples to apples". Has anyone here had any experience shooting the XD vs the XDM 45? Differences, gripes, comments, would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

daddy4count

I own a XD45 Tactical... considered upgrading to the M.

From what I understand the trigger pull and reset are shorter on the M and the barrel and sites are better than the standard XD as well. Throw in the interchangeable backstrap and you really can't go wrong.

If you have the choice, I would go with the M. But that's just me...

I personally love my XD, not in a hurry to upgrade. But if I had the choice to make again now it would be for the M

MamaLiberty

I've carried the XD compact .45 for several years now. Last year I did get a chance to shoot an XDm .45 and couldn't really see enough difference to make me trade. The different backstraps would be fine for someone who couldn't grip the standard XD properly. I have short, wide hands and the grip on the standard XD is very good for me. So maybe those backstraps would be most valuable to someone with very large hands. I don't know.

Accuracy is a function of grip, control and practice, far as I can see. If those are present, then the make or model of the gun is not likely to be significant unless you use the sights and they are not properly set.

Get the one that "fits" and feels right. Practice faithfully and accuracy won't be an issue. :)

45acpForMe

I don't own either (yet) but one thing to keep in mind is that the 45 XDm only comes in full size whereas the XD models have subcompact up to full size.

Since I like full size guns it isn't an issue for me but if you are planning on concealing it the size may be an issue.

One other thing to think of is that I like the XDm since you don't have to pull the trigger to break it down. Not a show stopper but give the choice I would go with the XDm.

The XDm 45 also uses the same magazine as the XD 45 which is a plus as far as availability but I was really hoping the XDm would have expanded the capacity like it did for the 9 and 40 versions. But hey 13+1 isn't anything to sneeze at.

Don Tomas

As for me, I'd recommend a Smith & Wesson M&P45. At the very minimum, I'd at least rent one to compare to either of the XD's.

bluesteelbass

Thank you for all the replies.
Looks like I leaning more towards the XDM 45 model. Not too much more $$, and now that I know the magazines are interchangeable with the XD model, that is a big plus for availability in my books.