View Poll Results: Do you open carry "loaded"?

Voters
70. You may not vote on this poll
  • I carry with a round in the chamber.

63 90.00%
  • I carry with ammo in magazine with chamber empty.

7 10.00%
  • I carry fully unloaded with a loaded magazine nearby.

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you open carry "loaded"?

Do you open carry "loaded"?

Inspired by a statement in a recent post and not finding a poll about carrying loaded I thought I would strike up the "loaded" verses "unloaded" OC debate.

Edit: Since this has been moved I guess I need to add...

This is assuming it is legal to carry with a round chambered.
    Last edited by Kingfish; 07-16-2010 at 03:39 PM.

I carry with a round chambered, safety on with a full mag except one round. If I ever needed to clear my firearm I want a place to stick the ejected round.

I carry with a round chambered. Even though chambering a round only takes a second, that second could be all the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by entartet17 View Post
    I carry with a round chambered. Even though chambering a round only takes a second, that second could be all the difference.
    And 2 hands...Unless you trained in Israel.

It was said perfect once before, I cant remember where I saw it or who said it (maybe on this forum) but...

planing to chamber a round when you need to use your gun is like planing to fasten your seat belt when you see someone run a stop sign.
    OH NO!!! I cant seem to think of anything "funny" and/or "wise" to put in my forum signature...NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! lol

It could be hard enough to draw in time without having to chamber.

I carry a 1911 cocked and locked with a round chambered. If I need to use it, I want to be able to use it NOW. I also carry two extra mags fully loaded, OC or CC.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world; it's the only thing that ever does.- Margaret Mead

Those who will not fight for justice today will fight for their lives in the future,

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. Benjamin Franklin

You bet your ass I do! What idiot would carry a non-loaded gun when it's perfectly legal to do so?

Always with one in the chamber.
    For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. ó Carl Sagan

When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours - Stephen Roberts

Founder's Club Member - Moderator longwatch's Avatar
    Not to nitpick but there are some folks who for legal reasons have to carry empty chamber (Utah non permit holders) or empty magwells (California). That said I see a lot of folks carry empty chamber in my store because they feel its safer somehow. Condition 1 for me though, every time all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by longwatch View Post
    Not to nitpick but there are some folks who for legal reasons have to carry empty chamber (Utah non permit holders) or empty magwells (California). That said I see a lot of folks carry empty chamber in my store because they feel its safer somehow. Condition 1 for me though, every time all the time.
    This poll was originally put in the Colorado forum and was meant for that forum. I have no idea why it was moved to general discussion.

The purpose of the poll was to see what the thoughts were in Colorado.

Yeah, move this back to Colorado!

At the risk of getting chastised for my choice I will share with you why I choose to carry without one in the chamber, it seems I will be the only one so far. When I wanted to get my first gun my wife was adamantly opposed to guns. This has changed with careful education about the facts but her stance on carrying loaded stands as does our compromise to carrying around our little kids. At first I would carry loaded while I was by myself and when around the wife and kids I would respect our agreement and carry without one in the chamber. While I never experienced an incident I came to the conclusion that this could be recipe for a mistake. I didnít want to get confused about the condition for my firearm so I decided I would chose one or the other. I chose to stick with carrying without one in the chamber to honor me and my wifeís original agreement. I agree that it takes time to load a gun and mistakes can happen under pressure. I spend quite a bit of time running drills to make myself as proficient as possible but I know that will never substitute for one ready to go.

Founder's Club Member - Moderator longwatch's Avatar
    So you are in Atlanta but want to know how they do it in Colorado, that makes sense. I suspect the mods moved it because people from all over were posting.

Quote Originally Posted by longwatch View Post
    So you are in Atlanta but want to know how they do it in Colorado, that makes sense. I suspect the mods moved it because people from all over were posting.
    I am actively seeking employment in Colorado. As soon as an offer letter finds it's way into my hands I will be gassing up the car and heading west.

I am in negotiations with a couple employers and there is a possibility I could be there in 3 weeks.

My heart and mind are already sitting on the deck with a cold Rocky Mountain beer (not Coors-Something local) in my hand enjoying the sunset over the snow capped peaks.

Quote Originally Posted by bennie1986 View Post
    At the risk of getting chastised for my choice...

While I never experienced an incident I came to the conclusion that this could be recipe for a mistake. I didnít want to get confused about the condition for my firearm so I decided I would chose one or the other. I chose to stick with carrying without one in the chamber to honor me and my wifeís original agreement.
    I don't think any cross words are in order at all.

The point is that you carry and practice with your chosen(mandated) carry method.

I say good for you and hope you can work with the better half and come to a better agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfish View Post
    I don't think any cross words are in order at all.

The point is that you carry and practice with your chosen(mandated) carry method.

I say good for you and hope you can work with the better half and come to a better agreement.
    Thank you for having an open mind. The idea that I would be criticized for my chosen carry method we derived from the tone other people in this thread chose to take on the matter.
    Itís in the works, she has decided once she does a lot more shooting and finds a gun she is comfortable with (and one Iím willing to pay for LOL) she is going to start carrying. I think once she is carrying she will have a different point of view but maybe not weíll see.

For me it depends on the gun. If it's a DA/SA I will always keep on in the pipe. If it's a SAO without a hammer (i.e. Hi-Point or some other striker fired SAO gun), I won't do it unless I feel safe with that particular gun having it's spring back at all times. DAO and SAO with a hammer I will keep on in the pipe too I guess, I haven't had one of them yet so I can't say for sure, but just from what I've read and seen others do, it's likely I will. I carry my P95 with a round chambered and the safety off because I trust that good ol', heavy-enough-you-almost-can't-pull-it-without-breaking-your-finger-and-forget-about-weaker-fingers, double action trigger. It's really nice knowing I have it on tap if I ever need it, I'm one of those that would probably break down to bare essentials in a situation and would forget something like racking the slide.

King, if you want a good beer, I HIGHLY recommend New Belgium beers. They're brewed in Fort Collins and they have amazing ales, you should go up for a tour once you get out here. From what I've been told it's a great tour with great beers to try the whole way.

Quote Originally Posted by ZackL View Post
    King, if you want a good beer, I HIGHLY recommend New Belgium beers. They're brewed in Fort Collins and they have amazing ales, you should go up for a tour once you get out here. From what I've been told it's a great tour with great beers to try the whole way.
    I have been a fan of Fat Tire for a while. We have the full line available here in GA. Their beers are good but I don't care for them all that much. The wife LOVES the "Ranger" but they have not made anything that has blown me away.

We plan on touring every brewery that has tours once we get out there and New Belgium is top of the list.

Moved back.

John

This poll was originally put in the Colorado forum and was meant for that forum. I have no idea why it was moved to general discussion.

The purpose of the poll was to see what the thoughts were in Colorado.

I have been a fan of Fat Tire for a while. We have the full line available here in GA. Their beers are good but I don't care for them all that much. The wife LOVES the "Ranger" but they have not made anything that has blown me away.

We plan on touring every brewery that has tours once we get out there and New Belgium is top of the list.
    [ off topic ]

New Belgium is decent (except for Fat Tire). Ranger and Abbey come to mind. And 1554 of course.

Make sure to check out the Bristol Brewery in Colorado Springs for the famous Laughing Lab (Red Scottish Ale--blows Fat Tire away), Compass IPA, etc.

Great Divide Brewery also makes some bolder beers. I have some of their Titan IPA in my fridge right now.

Phantom Canyon has some okay beers. (We are talking about Colorado Springs, right?)

[ / off topic ]

Cool

"Loaded' definition according to Colorado law, for a handgun, is 'one round in the chamber'.

I'm #2 in the poll for carrying a full magazine, but not one in the chamber. Since the 'tone' of the replies seems pretty civil, allow me to explain 'this Coloradan's' reasoning.

This past year, I was able to convince my wife to have us each purchase handguns, and spend time shooting together at the local shooting range...both our sons are now grown... being empty nesters, we are enjoying trying out new hobbies and things. While the boys were being raised here at home, I chose the 'baseball bat' next to my bed method of home defense...wasn't anti-gun by any means--was raised in New Orleans with guns to hunt/fish--just chose to not have them in the home.

My wife took to it quickly and readily--I took my time with her at the range, and she felt comfortable with a Sig Sauer Mosquito (.22LR) handgun...and I fell in love with the Glock 17 the first time I put one in my hands.

Fast forward a bit, and we both got our Colorado Concealed Carry Permits. She wanted to have the 'choice' to carry or not......and I knew I wanted to carry from this point forward.

Now....with all that being said, let me explain why I carry without a round chambered.

My wife has her gun on her nightstand, leaves it fully magged, but no chambered round, with the safety off. She has practiced for months and knows she must rack the slide back to chamber a round...and then fire. She shoots VERY well at the shooting range...putting all her shots within a 6" circle at 40 feet. She is VERY comfortable leaving her handgun in the condition stated at home.

Similarly, my Glock 17 at home and my Glock 19 for EDC, also stay in the same condition. I'm very familiar with my handguns--having put near 1,000 rounds through each one....and so I have decided....FOR ME and my wife...that my carry protocol would be the same.....full magazine....no round in the chamber.

We both know the handguns are VERY safe in this condition. We both know the handguns have to have the slide racked back to load a round into the chamber prior to shooting. We both have decided this is how we balance having handguns in our immediate presence, and feeling safe.

Now, one last comment as to why we both feel comfortable with this method of carry. We are both 'born again' Christians. We know, without any doubt, that upon our departure from this world--we will immediately be in Heaven, in the presence of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. The reason this is IMPORTANT....is that we both trust God with EVERYTHING in our lives as well as the next life. This means we trust God to grant us the 1-2 seconds it takes to rack the slide back---if we were EVER to be in the position to use lethal force against another human being. We both know that would be the LAST choice..because all life is sacred...even criminals..so we both would only take another life if either of ours were immediately being threatened.

I've read SO MANY internet posts on dozens of forums about all the reasons why you may NOT have the 1-2 seconds to rack the slide back.....and while I'm not discounting ANY of them......I'm OK with my method of trusting God with that as well.........I realize that some may not understand or appreciate my reasons, but I appreciate the opportunity of explaining them.

I hope that those who DO CARRY WITH A ROUND CHAMBERED will realize that there are others who have their OWN reasons for being different and not make sweeping, generalized comments about their way being the ONLY RIGHT way.

Sincerely,
    Stan

p.s. I'm an Elder in my church and I teach the Bible to Adults.

The God Safety.

Stan, I think that your method of carry, as you practice with it and are positive in your training, will serve you very well. Thanks for sharing the very in depth line of reasoning for doing so as I think it will point out various aspects to people. Also, welcome to the forums and I hope that there isn't too much negative to dissuade you from enjoying all the best that this site has to offer.

Also, you said you carry with a full mag and not one in the chamber, but you also said that you have a CHP. Do you open or conceal carry? If you don't mind me asking.

Quote Originally Posted by ZackL View Post
    Stan, I think that your method of carry, as you practice with it and are positive in your training, will serve you very well. Thanks for sharing the very in depth line of reasoning for doing so as I think it will point out various aspects to people. Also, welcome to the forums and I hope that there isn't too much negative to dissuade you from enjoying all the best that this site has to offer.

Also, you said you carry with a full mag and not one in the chamber, but you also said that you have a CHP. Do you open or conceal carry? If you don't mind me asking.

Zack,

Thanks for the kind words. One doesn't make it to 55 years old without having very thick skin.

I'm not concerned about any negative comments, as folks are free to express their opinions. I come across WAY too many 'forum folks' that make it sound as if they live their lives like a gunfight is going to break out any moment. I can understand that mindset, and would probably have done the same thing back in my 20's or 30's.....but as I've gotten older, I can't stay at that level of situational awareness constantly.

I like what ooghost1oo said.... "The God Safety".......that's pretty clever, and it sums it up pretty well. I would NEVER advise that mindset for anyone else.....but it works for me and my wife!

Regarding OC and CC, thanks for asking.....I do both! What a blessing we have here in Colorado to have both options available.

Sincerely,
    Stan
    Last edited by spweber; 07-17-2010 at 11:11 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast