• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Do you open carry "loaded"?

Do you open carry "loaded"?

• I carry with a round in the chamber.

Votes: 63 90.0%
  • I carry with ammo in magazine with chamber empty.

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • I carry fully unloaded with a loaded magazine nearby.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Kingfish

Inspired by a statement in a recent post and not finding a poll about carrying loaded I thought I would strike up the "loaded" verses "unloaded" OC debate.

Edit: Since this has been moved I guess I need to add...

This is assuming it is legal to carry with a round chambered.

Last edited:

Kingfish

I carry with a round chambered, safety on with a full mag except one round. If I ever needed to clear my firearm I want a place to stick the ejected round.

groovedrummer

It was said perfect once before, I cant remember where I saw it or who said it (maybe on this forum) but...

planing to chamber a round when you need to use your gun is like planing to fasten your seat belt when you see someone run a stop sign.

Ruby

I carry a 1911 cocked and locked with a round chambered. If I need to use it, I want to be able to use it NOW. I also carry two extra mags fully loaded, OC or CC.

Ian

Lone Star Veteran
You bet your ass I do! What idiot would carry a non-loaded gun when it's perfectly legal to do so?

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Not to nitpick but there are some folks who for legal reasons have to carry empty chamber (Utah non permit holders) or empty magwells (California). That said I see a lot of folks carry empty chamber in my store because they feel its safer somehow. Condition 1 for me though, every time all the time.

Kingfish

Not to nitpick but there are some folks who for legal reasons have to carry empty chamber (Utah non permit holders) or empty magwells (California). That said I see a lot of folks carry empty chamber in my store because they feel its safer somehow. Condition 1 for me though, every time all the time.

This poll was originally put in the Colorado forum and was meant for that forum. I have no idea why it was moved to general discussion.

The purpose of the poll was to see what the thoughts were in Colorado.

bennie1986

At the risk of getting chastised for my choice I will share with you why I choose to carry without one in the chamber, it seems I will be the only one so far. When I wanted to get my first gun my wife was adamantly opposed to guns. This has changed with careful education about the facts but her stance on carrying loaded stands as does our compromise to carrying around our little kids. At first I would carry loaded while I was by myself and when around the wife and kids I would respect our agreement and carry without one in the chamber. While I never experienced an incident I came to the conclusion that this could be recipe for a mistake. I didn’t want to get confused about the condition for my firearm so I decided I would chose one or the other. I chose to stick with carrying without one in the chamber to honor me and my wife’s original agreement. I agree that it takes time to load a gun and mistakes can happen under pressure. I spend quite a bit of time running drills to make myself as proficient as possible but I know that will never substitute for one ready to go.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
So you are in Atlanta but want to know how they do it in Colorado, that makes sense. I suspect the mods moved it because people from all over were posting.

Kingfish

So you are in Atlanta but want to know how they do it in Colorado, that makes sense. I suspect the mods moved it because people from all over were posting.

I am actively seeking employment in Colorado. As soon as an offer letter finds it's way into my hands I will be gassing up the car and heading west.

I am in negotiations with a couple employers and there is a possibility I could be there in 3 weeks.

My heart and mind are already sitting on the deck with a cold Rocky Mountain beer (not Coors-Something local) in my hand enjoying the sunset over the snow capped peaks.

Kingfish

At the risk of getting chastised for my choice...

While I never experienced an incident I came to the conclusion that this could be recipe for a mistake. I didn’t want to get confused about the condition for my firearm so I decided I would chose one or the other. I chose to stick with carrying without one in the chamber to honor me and my wife’s original agreement.

I don't think any cross words are in order at all.

The point is that you carry and practice with your chosen(mandated) carry method.

I say good for you and hope you can work with the better half and come to a better agreement.

bennie1986

I don't think any cross words are in order at all.

The point is that you carry and practice with your chosen(mandated) carry method.

I say good for you and hope you can work with the better half and come to a better agreement.

Thank you for having an open mind. The idea that I would be criticized for my chosen carry method we derived from the tone other people in this thread chose to take on the matter.
It’s in the works, she has decided once she does a lot more shooting and finds a gun she is comfortable with (and one I’m willing to pay for LOL) she is going to start carrying. I think once she is carrying she will have a different point of view but maybe not we’ll see.

ZackL

For me it depends on the gun. If it's a DA/SA I will always keep on in the pipe. If it's a SAO without a hammer (i.e. Hi-Point or some other striker fired SAO gun), I won't do it unless I feel safe with that particular gun having it's spring back at all times. DAO and SAO with a hammer I will keep on in the pipe too I guess, I haven't had one of them yet so I can't say for sure, but just from what I've read and seen others do, it's likely I will. I carry my P95 with a round chambered and the safety off because I trust that good ol', heavy-enough-you-almost-can't-pull-it-without-breaking-your-finger-and-forget-about-weaker-fingers, double action trigger. It's really nice knowing I have it on tap if I ever need it, I'm one of those that would probably break down to bare essentials in a situation and would forget something like racking the slide.

King, if you want a good beer, I HIGHLY recommend New Belgium beers. They're brewed in Fort Collins and they have amazing ales, you should go up for a tour once you get out here. From what I've been told it's a great tour with great beers to try the whole way.

Kingfish

King, if you want a good beer, I HIGHLY recommend New Belgium beers. They're brewed in Fort Collins and they have amazing ales, you should go up for a tour once you get out here. From what I've been told it's a great tour with great beers to try the whole way.

I have been a fan of Fat Tire for a while. We have the full line available here in GA. Their beers are good but I don't care for them all that much. The wife LOVES the "Ranger" but they have not made anything that has blown me away.

We plan on touring every brewery that has tours once we get out there and New Belgium is top of the list.

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
Moved back.

John

This poll was originally put in the Colorado forum and was meant for that forum. I have no idea why it was moved to general discussion.

The purpose of the poll was to see what the thoughts were in Colorado.