• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Do you open carry "loaded"?

Do you open carry "loaded"?

• I carry with a round in the chamber.

Votes: 63 90.0%
  • I carry with ammo in magazine with chamber empty.

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • I carry fully unloaded with a loaded magazine nearby.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

ooghost1oo

I have been a fan of Fat Tire for a while. We have the full line available here in GA. Their beers are good but I don't care for them all that much. The wife LOVES the "Ranger" but they have not made anything that has blown me away.

We plan on touring every brewery that has tours once we get out there and New Belgium is top of the list.

[ off topic ]

New Belgium is decent (except for Fat Tire). Ranger and Abbey come to mind. And 1554 of course.

Make sure to check out the Bristol Brewery in Colorado Springs for the famous Laughing Lab (Red Scottish Ale--blows Fat Tire away), Compass IPA, etc.

Great Divide Brewery also makes some bolder beers. I have some of their Titan IPA in my fridge right now.

Phantom Canyon has some okay beers. (We are talking about Colorado Springs, right?)

[ / off topic ]

spweber

"Loaded' definition according to Colorado law, for a handgun, is 'one round in the chamber'.

I'm #2 in the poll for carrying a full magazine, but not one in the chamber. Since the 'tone' of the replies seems pretty civil, allow me to explain 'this Coloradan's' reasoning.

This past year, I was able to convince my wife to have us each purchase handguns, and spend time shooting together at the local shooting range...both our sons are now grown... being empty nesters, we are enjoying trying out new hobbies and things. While the boys were being raised here at home, I chose the 'baseball bat' next to my bed method of home defense...wasn't anti-gun by any means--was raised in New Orleans with guns to hunt/fish--just chose to not have them in the home.

My wife took to it quickly and readily--I took my time with her at the range, and she felt comfortable with a Sig Sauer Mosquito (.22LR) handgun...and I fell in love with the Glock 17 the first time I put one in my hands.

Fast forward a bit, and we both got our Colorado Concealed Carry Permits. She wanted to have the 'choice' to carry or not......and I knew I wanted to carry from this point forward.

Now....with all that being said, let me explain why I carry without a round chambered.

My wife has her gun on her nightstand, leaves it fully magged, but no chambered round, with the safety off. She has practiced for months and knows she must rack the slide back to chamber a round...and then fire. She shoots VERY well at the shooting range...putting all her shots within a 6" circle at 40 feet. She is VERY comfortable leaving her handgun in the condition stated at home.

Similarly, my Glock 17 at home and my Glock 19 for EDC, also stay in the same condition. I'm very familiar with my handguns--having put near 1,000 rounds through each one....and so I have decided....FOR ME and my wife...that my carry protocol would be the same.....full magazine....no round in the chamber.

We both know the handguns are VERY safe in this condition. We both know the handguns have to have the slide racked back to load a round into the chamber prior to shooting. We both have decided this is how we balance having handguns in our immediate presence, and feeling safe.

Now, one last comment as to why we both feel comfortable with this method of carry. We are both 'born again' Christians. We know, without any doubt, that upon our departure from this world--we will immediately be in Heaven, in the presence of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. The reason this is IMPORTANT....is that we both trust God with EVERYTHING in our lives as well as the next life. This means we trust God to grant us the 1-2 seconds it takes to rack the slide back---if we were EVER to be in the position to use lethal force against another human being. We both know that would be the LAST choice..because all life is sacred...even criminals..so we both would only take another life if either of ours were immediately being threatened.

I've read SO MANY internet posts on dozens of forums about all the reasons why you may NOT have the 1-2 seconds to rack the slide back.....and while I'm not discounting ANY of them......I'm OK with my method of trusting God with that as well.........I realize that some may not understand or appreciate my reasons, but I appreciate the opportunity of explaining them.

I hope that those who DO CARRY WITH A ROUND CHAMBERED will realize that there are others who have their OWN reasons for being different and not make sweeping, generalized comments about their way being the ONLY RIGHT way.

Sincerely,
Stan

p.s. I'm an Elder in my church and I teach the Bible to Adults.

ZackL

Stan, I think that your method of carry, as you practice with it and are positive in your training, will serve you very well. Thanks for sharing the very in depth line of reasoning for doing so as I think it will point out various aspects to people. Also, welcome to the forums and I hope that there isn't too much negative to dissuade you from enjoying all the best that this site has to offer.

Also, you said you carry with a full mag and not one in the chamber, but you also said that you have a CHP. Do you open or conceal carry? If you don't mind me asking.

spweber

Stan, I think that your method of carry, as you practice with it and are positive in your training, will serve you very well. Thanks for sharing the very in depth line of reasoning for doing so as I think it will point out various aspects to people. Also, welcome to the forums and I hope that there isn't too much negative to dissuade you from enjoying all the best that this site has to offer.

Also, you said you carry with a full mag and not one in the chamber, but you also said that you have a CHP. Do you open or conceal carry? If you don't mind me asking.

Zack,

Thanks for the kind words. One doesn't make it to 55 years old without having very thick skin. :)

I'm not concerned about any negative comments, as folks are free to express their opinions. I come across WAY too many 'forum folks' that make it sound as if they live their lives like a gunfight is going to break out any moment. I can understand that mindset, and would probably have done the same thing back in my 20's or 30's.....but as I've gotten older, I can't stay at that level of situational awareness constantly.

I like what ooghost1oo said.... "The God Safety".......that's pretty clever, and it sums it up pretty well. I would NEVER advise that mindset for anyone else.....but it works for me and my wife! :)

Regarding OC and CC, thanks for asking.....I do both! What a blessing we have here in Colorado to have both options available.

Sincerely,
Stan

Last edited:

Sig229

I carry with one in the chamber and my magazine is loaded to capacity. 12+1 = 13 of .40 Golden Saber JHP's,

Since my Sig has no safety (the way I like it) I dont have a safety "on".

Just the first pull of the trigger is double action, and the following trigger pulls are fast single action.
Which in my experience/opinion, a double action/single action pistol is best when carrying.

Dynamite Rabbit

I carry an SP101 with all chambers loaded, so I voted that I carry chambered. If I carried a semi-auto I'd definitely carry it with a round chambered. I know what happens to gross motor skills under stress.

Last edited:

Yooper

Carry loaded. All of my carry guns have no safeties, My Rugers (P90 & P95) have the "decock" lever, instead of the safety, the P-11 Kel-Tech is DAO, and therefore has no safety, and my Glock 17, really doesn't have a safety. If I needed to use a handgun in self defense that had a safety, I'd probably die with my finger clicking the trigger, and a round never being fired.

since9

Campaign Veteran
Condition 2: Round chambered, hammer down, safety off. Same as for any revolver, and the "safety" is the same - a six-pound trigger pull.

Unloaded guns are useless paperweights.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
What would be the point of carrying a gun that won't shoot?

Do you keep a gas can near your car just in case you feel like going somewhere? Afraid it might start up and run people over all by itself for no apparent reason?

Guns don't ever just 'go off.' These report are almost always a lie. A convenient way to blame the gun for the negligence or stupidity of the owner.

Your brain is the safety. If it doesn't work, that sucks for you.