• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Utah CCW and booze

1245A Defender

Im in washington state and thinking of getting the utah CCW so im covered in so many more states.
im concerned about the requirement that you cant have been convicted of any offence involving alcohol.
my problem is a DUI in 2001, i did my time, payed my fines.
ive also gone to counceling, probation, a breath tester on my car for a year, and AA for two years.
I never drink and drive anymore, and i dont drink and handle my firearms either!
Soooo, do you know if this is a problem, or has it been so long that statuate of limitations negates my wrong doing??
Can i still get the CCW?

kdt1970

You could try for Expungment first.
http://publicsafety.utah.gov/bci/expunge.html

Reasons for Denial:
Capital felony U.C.A. 77-40-105(2)(a)(i)
First degree felony U.C.A. 77-40-105(2)(a)(ii)
Violent felony U.C.A. 76-3-203.5(1)(c)(i)
Automobile homicide U.C.A. 77-40-105(2)(a)(iv)
Felony DUI Alcohol/Drugs U.C.A. 41-69-501(2)
Registerable sex offenses U.C.A. 77-27-21.5(1)(n)
A proceeding is pending or being investigated 77-40-105(2)(b)
Dismissal with an intervening arrest U.C.A. 77-40-104(1)(b)
Statute of limitations has not been met U.C.A. 77-40-104(1)(c)(iv)
Fines, interest, and restitution not paid U.C.A. 77-40-105(3)(a)
Time required by law not met 77-40-105(3)
Two or more felony criminal episodes U.C.A. 77-40-105(4)(a)
Any combination of three or more convictions that contain two class A misdemeanors U.C.A. 77-40-105(4)(b)
Any combination of four or more convictions that contain three or more class B misdemeanors
U.C.A. 77-40-105(4)(c)
Five or more misdemeanors or felony episodes U.C.A. 77-40-105(4)(d)

Time period does not begin until all confinement and probation has been completed.

Time Periods:
10 years - Any alcohol/drug related traffic
7 years - Eligible Felonies
5 years - Class A Misdemeanor
4 years – Class B Misdemeanor
3 years- Class C Misdemeanor and infractions
30 days - Dismissals

Last edited:

mqondo

You can always call the Utah BCI (bureau of criminal investigation) and ask them. They are the people that are in charge of giving out permits. 801-965-4445 They will be able to answer pretty much any question about it.

utbagpiper

Banned
Soooo, do you know if this is a problem, or has it been so long that statuate of limitations negates my wrong doing??
Can i still get the CCW?

The statute of limitations prevents prosecutions. It is of no effect here.

However, after some period of time, BCI will likely grant a CCW even though you had an alcohol related conviction in your past. I do not know what that time period is. But as another poster has suggested, I'd encourage you to simply call BCI and ask them. They really are very good to work with and I'd bet you have an answer within just a few minutes.

Charles

JimMullinsWVCDL

State Researcher
Utah CFP statute

A person who has 1 DUI conviction from 9 years ago will likely be able to get a Utah concealed firearm permit. An applicant who has a DUI conviction simply needs to truthfully answer the application and include a statement on the facts of his or her case.

Utah Code § 53-5-704(2)(a) provides that "[t]he bureau may deny, suspend, or revoke a concealed firearm permit if the applicant or permit holder . . . has been or is convicted of an offense involving the use of alcohol[.]" However, Utah Code § 53-5-704(2)(b) provides that "n determining whether an applicant or permit holder meets the qualifications set forth in Subsection (2)(a), the bureau shall consider mitigating circumstances."

In general, the passage of time and the lack of multiple offenses is generally sufficient for the Utah BCI to find sufficient mitigation in an individual case and grant a permit. The big key is that an applicant disclose the conviction honestly on the application and enclose a separate, written statement on the facts of his or her case showing that by virtue of the amount of time that has passed and the lack of repeat or multiple offenses, he or she is a suitable person to be issued a permit.