• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Taurus Judge

Uziel Gal

I'd like any input from those who actually own these. Pros and cons, quirks, value. I'm interested in one to maybe use as a back-up for a .410 shotgun. Share your wisdom. Also 2 3/4" vs. 3" chamber. Thanks in advance.

me812

The Judge sounds gimmicky to me. .410 shotshells are a piss-poor manstopper and the only other thing you'd want a .410 handgun for would be to shoot snakes, which could be done just as effectively with .45 LC snakeshot rounds. Also bear in mind that Taurus cuts the rifling on the Judge shallower than normal to help pattern the shot correctly, but that degrades accuracy when shooting .45 LC rounds.

I'd take a pass on the Judge, but perhaps there's something I'm missing.

WARCHILD

The Judge is more negative than positive. Okay for a novelty piece but useless for self defense. Go to YouTube and type in Taurus Judge, there are some really good videos...pro and con... mostly negative from the 6 or so that I watched.
I have fired the Judge and found it off balance and uncomfortable to shoot.
Nice to "plink" with, but not worth the money.
JMO

.45acp

I'd like any input from those who actually own these. Pros and cons, quirks, value. I'm interested in one to maybe use as a back-up for a .410 shotgun. Share your wisdom. Also 2 3/4" vs. 3" chamber. Thanks in advance.

The Judge with .410 is an outstanding snake gun out to 15 feet or so with small shot (6 7 1/2 or 8). For self-defense at carjacking range you will be hard pressed to beat some of the 3 or 4 ball 000 loads at 1450 fps. My father has a Judge, we have fired .45 Colt, .410 slugs (Which are fairly anemic) and all sizes of shot. His gun has 5 or 6 rattlers to its credit, all one round at 8 to 15 feet. A .410 loaded with no. 6 or 7 ½ shot is much more effective than .45 Colt shot loads ever thought about. I load 255 Keith type SWC’s at 870 fps (out of a chrono), the Judge is certainly not a target gun, but you can easily hold 5” or 6” groups out to 25 yards (I think the sights are problematic here as they are not designed for precision work but fast close target acquisition). For 000 loads, on a full sized human silhouette, I can keep all 000 balls in the chest area out to 15 feet.

Will it replace a .410 shotgun? In my opinion no, but it does make a very effective short-range self-defense gun (10 to 20 feet) loaded with 3” 000.

The 2 ¾ gun seems to be better balanced, but the 3” gun has a fair bit more horsepower. They do take a little getting used to, and you need to place the front sight deep into the rear sight notch to keep shot from going high (short sight radius makes this fairly critical at any distance).

Depending on your use, they can be a very effective little gun.

Steve

merc460

I own a "Public Defender" 2 3/4". When I carry it, I carry it with a .410 000 buckshot load first, then four 45LC's behind that. It is definitely a close range weapon. I say the accuracy is good. (not great, only a 2" barrel) but again, I say a close range weapon, out to 15' maybe. I feel confident that it will stop any threat I may run into. Biggest problem I have with it right now is finding a nice retention holster for it. I will say that it not real suitable for concealed carry because of it's girth. Definitely a small hand cannon. :)

45acpForMe

For a brief moment I was interested in the Judge revolvers but after looking at the box-o-truth website showing the small firepower of a 410 I decided to avoid the gun.

If you definitely want a revolver my choice would be a 45LC which can also shoot snake shot.

As far as shotguns I think the 12ga is the best but if you need lighter recoil a 20ga is fine.

Uziel Gal

I was thinking about the new Taurus Raging Judge, which is a 454 casull, 45LC ,and .410 for a survival sidearm to use in conjunction with a .22 over .410 combination rifle. After spending some time thinking about it, and reading some helpful posts, I have come to the conclusion that I don't think the ability to share ammo with the .410 is significant enough to offset the problems inherit in the Judge revolvers. In a perfect world it would seem to make a sweet combination but I think a dedicated big bore revolver will answer the call. Thanks and feel free to keep posting. I'll keep watching.

KBCraig

Typical 3" .410 000 velocity is 1150-1250 fps, but that's out of a long gun; you'll get much lower velocity out of a handgun, especially a revolver with its gas leak.

Federal makes a 3" 000 load especially for The Judge, and they only claim 960 fps.

.45acp

Typical 3" .410 000 velocity is 1150-1250 fps, but that's out of a long gun; you'll get much lower velocity out of a handgun, especially a revolver with its gas leak.

Federal makes a 3" 000 load especially for The Judge, and they only claim 960 fps.

I'm about 11,000 miles from the ammo cabinet right now. I'll take a look at the brand and load in 2 weeks when I return. If I get a chance I'll run a few over the chrono first.

Steve

Last edited:

oldkim

Attachments

• winchester410.jpg
    winchester410.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 111

The Expert

I didn't see this mentioned before in this thread, so I'll mention that this gun is considered a "sawed off shotgun" in some states. Best to check if it's legal in yours.

NRAMARINE

Get a stainless one. The blued ones finish comes off and I had to get Tauras to replace the gun. Also use the federal 000 buckshot loads that were designed with this gun in mind, they pattern good. You can get pretty good accuracy out of these and the.45's if you use the hornady leverevolutions. I agree also that it's a good snake gun with #4's or 6. As far as the stopping power, it's not as good as say a .38 or .357. However with the judge and federal loads you get 4 hits for one trigger pull. Each the same diameter as a .357. Also a 45 colt with a non cowboy load ( defense load) is a damn hurt bomb.

Mine has the 2 3/4" chamber and a 3" barrel. I oc with it sometimes in a serpa level 2, but mostly carry a glock 19.

Last edited:

Don Barnett

Shooting Shot Through a Rifled Barrel?

Just for the heck of it, I shot a OO Buckshot round through a rifled barrel. The target was about 40 yards away and not one pellet hit it. I saw pellets hitting way in the tree limbs to the right, left and above the target, as well as on the ground.

Apparently, the rifled barrel spun the shot around like a pinwheel.

I don't know if the same thing would happen in the Judge.

JohnH

Just for the heck of it, I shot a OO Buckshot round through a rifled barrel. The target was about 40 yards away and not one pellet hit it. I saw pellets hitting way in the tree limbs to the right, left and above the target, as well as on the ground.

Apparently, the rifled barrel spun the shot around like a pinwheel.

I don't know if the same thing would happen in the Judge.

Please elaborate. What caliber barrel, what powder charge?