Thread: Feingold LETTER: Court ruling protects gun-owning rights, 15 July 2010

Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Feingold LETTER: Court ruling protects gun-owning rights, 15 July 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Senator Russ Feingold
    By U.S. Sen. RUSS FEINGOLD | Washington, D.C.
    Recently, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that the Second Amendment, protecting the right to bear arms, applies to the states, too, not just the federal government. This decision is good news for Wisconsin, which has a long and proud tradition of hunting and gun ownership.

The courtís ruling in McDonald v. Chicago is welcome confirmation that the right to bear arms is a fundamental right enjoyed by all Americans that cannot be infringed by the federal or state governments. It comes just two years after a landmark Supreme Court decision involving a handgun ban in Washington, D.C.

In the decision in District of Columbia v. Heller, the court recognized that the Second Amendment provides an individual right to citizens, not just a collective right to society. I have long believed that this is the correct interpretation of the Second Amendment, and I am pleased the court agreed. I hope the court will continue to respect the rights of law-abiding gun owners in the future.

During my career in public service, Iíve worked to preserve Wisconsinís tradition of responsible gun use and to oppose unreasonable limitations on gun ownership. As a state senator, I was the lead co-sponsor of a proposed state constitutional amendment to establish the right to bear arms in Wisconsin, and as a member of the U.S. Senate, Iíve dedicated myself to ensuring that gun laws protect Wisconsinitesí rights.

Most recently, I supported an amendment to allow visitors to national parks to carry concealed weapons in states that permit them to do so, and I joined a legal brief in the McDonald case on the side of the gun owners.

I applaud this decision, which is huge news for gun owners. As Congress and the Supreme Court face questions in the future about the right to bear arms, I will keep working to defend citizensí rights in communities across America. Wisconsinís tradition of safe gun-ownership is a model for the nation, and I will continue to fight for strong Second Amendment protections for all Americans.

Campaign Veteran
    West Allis, WI, ,
    Then why didn't he support the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act of 2005? Even Sen. Kohl supported that one.

Stevens Point WI, ,
    Funny how he's "so supportive of gun rights" right before the election... He's not getting my vote.

Vote them all out. Period.

, ,
    Wasn't so "supportive" when voting for the last supreme court justice!

West Allis, WI
    What a snake.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

West Coast of Wisconsin
    This is just the beginning. That is why we really must speak up and speak out or write it in your blog, editorials, etc. These guys are used to a docile, passive, uninterested electorate. We need to show them a different side of the citizens of Wisconsin this time around.

Chilton, Wisconsin, USA
    Yep, it is time for him to go. The only reason for his support at this time is because the election is drawing near and he knows that the gun issue is important this year. There will be many snakes jumping on the band wagon this time around. Don't let them fool you. Vote them out.

Carry on and Constitutional Carry always!

Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA
    he will looooose in November....I have faith. AACFI, Wisconsin / Minnesota Carry Certified. Action Pistol & Advanced Action pistol concepts + Urban Carbine course. When the entitlement Zombies begin looting, pillaging, raping, burning & killing..remember HEAD SHOTS it's the only way to kill a Zombie. Stockpile food & water now.

Please support your local,county, state & Federal Law enforcement agencies, right ???