• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Feingold LETTER: Court ruling protects gun-owning rights, CouleeNews.com 15 July 2010

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
http://www.couleenews.com/articles/2010/07/15/opinion/feingoldlte.txt

Senator Russ Feingold said:
By U.S. Sen. RUSS FEINGOLD | Washington, D.C.
Recently, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that the Second Amendment, protecting the right to bear arms, applies to the states, too, not just the federal government. This decision is good news for Wisconsin, which has a long and proud tradition of hunting and gun ownership.

The court’s ruling in McDonald v. Chicago is welcome confirmation that the right to bear arms is a fundamental right enjoyed by all Americans that cannot be infringed by the federal or state governments. It comes just two years after a landmark Supreme Court decision involving a handgun ban in Washington, D.C.

In the decision in District of Columbia v. Heller, the court recognized that the Second Amendment provides an individual right to citizens, not just a collective right to society. I have long believed that this is the correct interpretation of the Second Amendment, and I am pleased the court agreed. I hope the court will continue to respect the rights of law-abiding gun owners in the future.

During my career in public service, I’ve worked to preserve Wisconsin’s tradition of responsible gun use and to oppose unreasonable limitations on gun ownership. As a state senator, I was the lead co-sponsor of a proposed state constitutional amendment to establish the right to bear arms in Wisconsin, and as a member of the U.S. Senate, I’ve dedicated myself to ensuring that gun laws protect Wisconsinites’ rights.

Most recently, I supported an amendment to allow visitors to national parks to carry concealed weapons in states that permit them to do so, and I joined a legal brief in the McDonald case on the side of the gun owners.

I applaud this decision, which is huge news for gun owners. As Congress and the Supreme Court face questions in the future about the right to bear arms, I will keep working to defend citizens’ rights in communities across America. Wisconsin’s tradition of safe gun-ownership is a model for the nation, and I will continue to fight for strong Second Amendment protections for all Americans.

anmut

Funny how he's "so supportive of gun rights" right before the election... He's not getting my vote.

Vote them all out. Period.

hardballer

This is just the beginning. That is why we really must speak up and speak out or write it in your blog, editorials, etc. These guys are used to a docile, passive, uninterested electorate. We need to show them a different side of the citizens of Wisconsin this time around.

J.Gleason

Banned
Yep, it is time for him to go. The only reason for his support at this time is because the election is drawing near and he knows that the gun issue is important this year. There will be many snakes jumping on the band wagon this time around. Don't let them fool you. Vote them out.

Carry on and Constitutional Carry always!