• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Would like to get into reloading...

Captain Nemo

Brokensprocket:

Being you have all that .45ACP brass you are somewhat ahead of the game. Using the components I use for reloading .45 ACP your cost per round would be close to the following.
CCI primer .03
185 grain Jacketed hollow point bullet (Remington) .25
8gr of Unique powder 1 pound @ 7000 grains per pound (total possible number of rounds per pound 875) .02
Total cost per round = .30 or $300 per thousand

My cost per round is about .03 higher. I usually buy my brass from gun shows as once fired. On the conservative side I figure to get six reloads. Once fired brass can be found at about .12 a round so it averages to .02. Usually there are some throw aways so I figure the cost at .03 per. My cost per round is .33 give or take a penny one way or the other. The last bulk purchase I made of Remington .45ACP 230gr full metal jacket ammo was from Cabelas. Cost was $290 per 600 rounds or .48 ea. Based on that purchase reloading saves me about .15/round. However, the savings can be elusive. Diligent shopping can cause significant variation. For example Herters .45ACP from Cabelas can be bought for $309.99 per 1000 or .31 ea. or .02 less than I can reload it. Only .01 per round more than you could conceivably reload it. So, is reloading worth the cost of equipment. It depends. Initially, maybe not, but once you purchase the equipment that cost is set. It is unlikely that you would ever wear it out. If retail prices on ammo continue to escalate , as the current trend suggests, then the cost savings begin to drift in your direction.

Note: The cost per round prices I listed are based on bulk purchase. Many can't afford to spend $300 for ammo at one time. Not and stay married that is. When purchased over the counter in single boxes the cost per round for .45ACP is closer to .90 per.

Last edited:

phred

Clean cases

Cases need be cleaned before running them through a sizing die - Carbide or regular. If you want to clean the cases (again after depriming, trimming, chamfering, cleaning primer pockets, etc) use a fine ground walnut media. It flows right through the primer flash-hole.

Captain Nemo

What I did for a tumbler is buy a double container rock polisher from Harbor Frieght Tools. It cost $40 and works just fine. Each container holds 20 30-06 brass fine. I put walnut shells in one and corn cob in the other, I use the walnut shells for dirty cases and the corn cob for those that just need a polishing. I also put in an inch long string of tube Flitz.That really shines up the cases. The Flitz at $11 a tube is pricey though and you probably don't want to put it in with deprimed cases. As to whether or not to polish unprimed cases I tend to agree with phred. I have had problems with clogged primer holes on cases using small rifle or handgun primers and walnut shells. Not so much in the primer pocket but in the small flash hole. Adds another step to the process. Have a needle handy. I also have read that when using walnut shells and unprimed cases that the primer pockets can enlarge. I don't know if that is true or not because I polish my cases only once and only shoot wheel guns in centerfire. Things aren't as fussy with revolvers. Also the people that write for the magazines are usually purists and talk in extremes so I am suspicous of of that comment. I don't trim my revolver cases but that is a critical step when reloading semi-auto ammo. Also don't crimp semi-auto ammo. Sem-autos chamber on the front edge of the case not the rim as do revolvers.

Captain Nemo

This thread is serendipitous as I just did my first re-loading today. I loaded 50 .44 magnum cartridges in a couple of hours while watching TV using a Lee Loader, the little one-at-a-time loader where you do everything manually and tap the round together with a hammer.

It was a great learning experience and I have my eye on a Lee Loadmaster progressive that will allow me to load for my S&W 500 in .50 cal. as well as rifle rounds.

The information about pricing in the Cabela's catalog does not take into account sale prices and bulk buys including military bullet pulls and surplus powders. There are a lot of ways you can cut corners and save a bunch of money. I bought almost everything I needed to re-load my .44 mag in one box for 100 bucks at a gun show.

+1000 That's how I started.