Thread: South Dakota is NOT a gold star state

South Dakota is NOT a gold star state

I'm not sure if this has been pointed out or not on this site, but South Dakota is not a gold star state. I found these two sections of law.

Is there any push to repeal these two sections of law. Can any SD resident please bring this to the attention of their rep and senator? Do NOT wait around for the NRA to do this.

No person may carry a firearm while on a snowmobile unless the firearm is completely unloaded and completely encased.(SDCL 32-20A-11)

No person may carry a firearm while on a motorcycle unless that person has a concealed pistol permit.(SDCL 32-20-6.6)

The Law concerning Motorcycle Carry is, within my Opinion, something that maybe..., perhaps, has something to do with Sturgis.
    The Law regarding Snowmobile Carry is probably something to do with Hunting.
    However, these are only my guesses..., as I am not sure why South Dakota would have either of these two Laws.

Campaign Veteran
    There is another thread here that talks about motorcycle carry...
    I would agree that South Dakota is not a gold star state, not because of the reasons in OP, but because OC is uncommon and generally not appreciated in SD's population centers. This may not have been true in the past, and I hope it won't be true in the future.

As long as you have a CCW permit from any state they will honor that ccw
    • A concealed pistol permit is not required to carry a pistol which is
    1) in a trunk or other closed compartment .(SDCL 22-14-10of a vehicle, or
    2) in a closed container which is too large to be effectively concealed on the person or within his clothing)

5. No person may carry a firearm while on a motorcycle unless that person has a concealed pistol permit.(SDCL 32-20-6.6)
    Last edited by XDSTEEL; 07-17-2010 at 04:47 AM.

I carry openly in Spearfish, Sturgis, Rapid City, Custer and all the little towns in between. I have had very few hassles, and NO confrontations with the police. Most people simply don't even notice.

Let's not borrow trouble here, folks.
    I will not knowingly initiate force. I am a self owner.

Let the record show that I did not consent to be governed. I did not consent to any constitution. I did not consent to any president. I did not consent to any law except the natural law of "mala en se." I did not consent to the police. Nor any tax. Nor any prohibition of anything. Nor any regulation or licensing of any kind.