• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Passing through Georgia next week....

CUOfficer

Hello from Wisconsin. I will be driving through Georgia next week and was just wondering what the open-carry climate was like. Also, what are the requirements for transporting firearms in Georgia? I was reading on handgunlaw.us and it looks like you can carry openly or concealed, a loaded firearm in "your own vehicle." We will be taking my girlfriend's car, so if we got pulled over, the Ruger LCP loaded in the case could be "her gun" correct? I have a Minnesotta non-resident permit but it's not honored in Georgia. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!!

rmodel65

if you had asked a week ago id suggested a PA permit 26$ and you could carry here...but yeah the car must be yours

aadvark

In accordance with SB 308, Leg. Act 2010 of The Georgia General Assembly, one may Carry any Weapon or LongGun in, on, or within: 1. Home, 2. Motor Vehicle, or 3. Place of Business; without a Weapons Carry License, per Georgia Code 16-11-126(a).
Furthermore, in accordance with 16-11-126(d) of the same Act, any Person who is eligible for a Weapons Carry License may transport a Weapon or LongGun in any Private Passenger Vehicle, provided; that whoever the Vehicle belongs to (in your situation: that of another), consents to the transpotaion of the Weapon of LongGun.
Unlike Wisonsin, if either of those two applies, then, there is no need to place the Weapon or LongGun in a Locked Case, unless you wish to rely on addtional exception under Georgia Law SB 308 16-11-126(c).
Unless I am mistaken, the Law Enforcement Officers Protection Act passed by Federal Congress may protect you further, if you are a Law Enforcement Officer. Addtionally, if that were true, then, you are exempted, completely, by Georgia Law 16-11-130(a)(1). [Ignore this if you are not a Governmental Offical.]
Either way..., Open Carry is Legal in Georgia, however; the practice, especially with LongGuns, is not well excepted in and around in The Metro-Atlanta area. Nonetheless, the letter of the Law prevails in the subject matter of Firearms in Georgia, as Georgia enjoys, similiar to Wisonsin, State-wide Firearms Preemption under Georgia Code 16-11-173.
Furthermore, unlike Wisconsin, in Georgia, Handguns are allowed in Restaurants that serve Alcohol, and in Bars as well..., provided; the Owner of the Bar consents, per Georgia Code 16-11-127(b)(6).
The exceptions provided under Georgia Codes 16-11-127(d)(1) through 16-11-127(d)(3) provide affirmative Defense to any Violation of Georgia Code 16-11-127(b). Under 16-11-127(b), Unathourized Locations for Firearms are: 1. Government Buildings, 2. CourtHouses, 3. Jails/Prisons, 4. State/Private-owned Mental Health Hospitals, and 5. Within 150 feet of any Election Place on Blue Law Voting Day.
Remember, though, if you can claim an exception under Georgia Code 16-11-130(a)(1), then, Georgia Code 16-11-127(b) does not apply to you. [Ignore this if you are not a Governmental Official.]

Last edited:

Wiley

Open Carry is Legal in Georgia for LICENSED Georgia residents ONLY.

There is no concealed carry license in Georgia.
There is no non-resident licence in Georgia.
There is only a Georgia Weapons License that is only available to Georgia residents as you must apply in the Georgia county where you reside.

The only way for a non-resident to carry a weapon in Georgia is if you are in the service of the United States, i.e. Military ID. Active certainly, Reserve possibly, retired who knows.

Kingfish

The only way for a non-resident to carry a weapon in Georgia is if you are in the service of the United States, i.e. Military ID. Active certainly, Reserve possibly, retired who knows.

Or to have a license that Georgia recognizes. Which is most of them.

rmodel65

http://www.georgiacarry.org/cms/georgias-carry-laws-explained/frequently-asked-questions/

I Do Not Have a Firearms License. What Can I Do?

Q: I don’t have a Georgia Weapons License. Can I carry in my car?
A: Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun may have or carry on his or her person a weapon or long gun on his or her property or inside his or her home, motor vehicle, or place of business without a valid weapons carry license. In addition, such person may carry a long gun, which must be carried openly if loaded. Moreover, such person may carry in his or her own motor vehicle. Finally, if such person is eligible for a Georgia Weapons License, he or she may carry in any private passenger motor vehicle.

Last edited:

aadvark

I am still working on my interpretation of Georgia Law.
I need to learn to make clearer statements about some things..., but I am tryin'.