• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Vacationing in Tennessee...

CUOfficer

I will be staying a few nights in Nashville next week to check out the Grand Ole Opry at the Ryman and a few of the other sites. I have a Minnesotta non-resident ccw permit that is valid in Tennessee. Are there any regulations that I should be aware of for carrying or transporting? If we stop at a bar, will I need to leave the firearm in the car? Thanks in advance.

Pol Mordreth

Welcome, CUOfficer!

Re: bars: According to state law there are no official bars in TN. There are only restaurants that serve alcohol. Yes, carry is allowed into them, unless they have posted. 'Gunbusters' circle and slash decals are valid to keep you out, but the sign over the bar that says its illegal to be there with a weapon only applies to non-permit holders.

General points: keep your permit handy at all times when carrying. It is illegal to go armed in TN, and having a permit is a defense to the charge of going armed. That means any cop has RAS / PC to ask for your permit if they notice your weapon. Open carry is legal with permit, but unusual. Downtown you will probably get the police called on you. Consumption of alcohol while armed is a crime, as is wearing arms when you have any in your system.

Off topic a little, I believe the opry is still closed from the may flood, but I don't know for certain.

Hope this helps, and hope you have a good visit!

CUOfficer

Pol Moldreth: Thanks for the help. So it is illegal to go armed in TN but having a permit voids that charge? That's interesting! If I understand it correctly, you can carry in to an establishment that serves alcohol, you obviously just can't consume any? I am carrying a Ruger LCP so I won't be open-carrying at all.

redstategunnut

Pol Moldreth: Thanks for the help. So it is illegal to go armed in TN but having a permit voids that charge? That's interesting! If I understand it correctly, you can carry in to an establishment that serves alcohol, you obviously just can't consume any? I am carrying a Ruger LCP so I won't be open-carrying at all.

Correct.

kwikrnu

Banned
So it is illegal to go armed in TN but having a permit voids that charge?

In 1871 the TN Supreme Court decided in Andrews v State that a prohibition on firearms was unconstitutional. The current law TCA 39-17-1307 criminalizes the possesion of a firearm with intent to go armed. "Intent to go armed" is carrying a loaded firearm. Now that there is a recognized individual civil right to keep and bear arms the blanket Tennessee law which criminalizes all loaded firearms cannot be a valid law and must be declared null and void. An analogy would be the State passing a law which says it is illegal to practice your religion, but it is a defense to pray in church.

Someone with standing should bring a lawsuit against the State for the unconstitutional law. The blessing of the NRA is needed first...

Last edited: