• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

SAF sues in New York over 'good cause' requirement

Dave Workman

At what point does a civil right become a highly-regulated privilege?

That question may be answered by a brand new lawsuit filed Thursday in federal district court in New York by the Bellevue, WA-based Second Amendment Foundation. It was their lawsuit – McDonald v. City of Chicago – that recently prevailed in the U.S. Supreme Court to incorporate the Second Amendment to the states. That is, the right to keep and bear arms protected by the Second Amendment of the Bill of Rights now applies as a limit on state and local governments as it does on Congress.
http://www.examiner.com/x-4525-Seat...-sues-in-New-York-over-good-cause-requirement

Or try this:

http://tinyurl.com/285cbws

SaintJacque

At what point does a civil right become a highly-regulated privilege?

That question may be answered by a brand new lawsuit filed Thursday in federal district court in New York by the Bellevue, WA-based Second Amendment Foundation. It was their lawsuit – McDonald v. City of Chicago – that recently prevailed in the U.S. Supreme Court to incorporate the Second Amendment to the states. That is, the right to keep and bear arms protected by the Second Amendment of the Bill of Rights now applies as a limit on state and local governments as it does on Congress.
http://www.examiner.com/x-4525-Seat...-sues-in-New-York-over-good-cause-requirement

Or try this:

http://tinyurl.com/285cbws

And so it begins. I can't express how much I am looking forward to an avalanche of challenges to these onerous requirements.

amlevin

Just like toppling a string of dominos, you have to get the first one to fall. Hopefully, after the first couple go down, the rest will just fall over on their own. After a couple of States, and in some cases Cities, see their anti-2A laws fall the rest will revise theirs in order to avoid the expense of loosing in Court.

NY2AZ

That is great!!!! I know I'm getting a bit ahead of myself, but maybe one day I wont feel so apprehensive about visiting my family back in NY.

Don Tomas

SAF is suing New York? Why not start in the largest/most populated state in the country, California? Our rights to carry have been infringed for decades by the most liberal politicians ever. I'm glad that SAF is taking up the cause and going after New York, but I wish we could get a little love here in CA. Considering there are more gun owners in this state than anywhere else, you'd think that we'd be at the top of the list.

Last edited:

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
SAF is suing New York? Why not start in the largest/most populated state in the country, California? Our rights to carry have been infringed for decades by the most liberal politicians ever. I'm glad that SAF is taking up the cause and going after New York, but I wish we could get a little love here in CA. Considering there are more gun owners in this state than anywhere else, you'd think that we'd be at the top of the list.

They already did. It's Sykes v. McGinness and it was filed in the California Eastern District against Sacramento and Yolo County. They are co-plaintiffs in the case.

Don Tomas

They already did. It's Sykes v. McGinness and it was filed in the California Eastern District against Sacramento and Yolo County. They are co-plaintiffs in the case.

Thanks Gray. I looked it up and it appears that the case was deferred until the 9th circus court of appeals made a ruling on a similiar case (Nordyke v. King), which as it turns out was held up pending the SCOTUS ruling on McDonald V. Chicago. So there we are. With the SCOTUS ruling now having been decided and that it incorporates all the states, it seems a victory in the other cases is not too far off.

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Thanks Gray. I looked it up and it appears that the case was deferred until the 9th circus court of appeals made a ruling on a similiar case (Nordyke v. King), which as it turns out was held up pending the SCOTUS ruling on McDonald V. Chicago. So there we are. With the SCOTUS ruling now having been decided and that it incorporates all the states, it seems a victory in the other cases is not too far off.

Back in April, the judge ruled for a stay on all motions for summary judgment until 60 days after the McDonald case is handed down. We expect movement in the last week of August.

Vector

Remember gentlemen, After the 14th and 15th were passed, it still took over 50 years for discrimination against black's to finally end. the dominoes are falling, but it will take decades to finish. We are in for a long haul here. Gun discrimination will be tough to end.

Last edited:

sudden valley gunner

Remember gentlemen, After the 14th and 15th were passed, it still took over 50 years for discrimination against black's to finally end. the dominoes are falling, but it will take decades to finish. We are in for a long haul here. Gun discrimination will be tough to end.

You can't regulate peoples feelings. There will be anti-gun folks no matter what. I fear that they will now try to find everyloop hole available and try to regulate guns to death.

Alexcabbie

New york? Surprise, surprise.

Long before Heller, Mr. Bloomberg (Mayor of New York and self-appointed Reich-Protektor of Virginia) was asked why no one could have a gn in NYC. His answer?

"Sure, you can have a gun, no problem. Just get a permit"

"Just get a permit". Why, yes. Why, it's as easy as waltzing into the DMV. NOT!

Bloomberg thinks he has the ultimate loophole. "Reasonable regulation" = requiring those who want to own firearms to apply for a permit (which will be denied on grounds as flimsy as an outstanding parking ticket).

And to think, this &%$( of a Mayor thought of this years before Heller!