• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Beach Reporter - Hermosa Beach Police says open carry event went smoothly

Mike

Site Co-Founder
nobody even called the police!

http://www.tbrnews.com/articles/2010/07/15/hermosa_beach_news/news07.txt

SNIP

Hermosa Beach Police Chief Greg Savelli said when he first learned of the SBOC’s desire to hold an event in town he was concerned.

“My concern was the community was not ready for such a display of weapons,” Savelli said. “It is unusual to see people carrying guns, and I thought it would generate calls to the police and possible confrontations.”

But Savelli said the demonstration went “smoothly” and there were no problems or calls to the HBPD of concern or to complain.

SBOC founder Harley Green thought the open carry event went perfectly.
. . .

Ca Patriot

did anyone see the letters to the editor after the event ? some wack jack wrote the most paranoid pathetic letter complaing about it. I will try to find it and post.

Don Tomas

Harley,

Come to The O.C. and we will support you. Huntington Beach, Newport Beach or Laguna Beach would be great places for a demonstration if you wanted to stay coastal. Plenty of inland cities as well such as Brea, Placentia, Yorba Linda and Fullerton would also be good venues.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer

Ca Patriot

Dang, I still cant find the one I read. However, the person writing it signed off with something like "name witheld due to safety concern"

HAHAHAHAHA

lotar4life

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/letters/la-le-0714-wednesday-20100713,0,1870621.story

None of the letters are really worthy of rebuttal. Same old 'wild west', small genitalia, 'guns are evil', 'false flag' crap.

Agreed that the letters are hardly worthy of rebuttal. An educational response perhaps, but not a rebuttal. Ignorance is the real enemy here.

A few exerps:

"They love the attention they get walking the streets with a pistol on their hip, and they don't give a damn if it frightens people like me and my kids."

While people inherently like attention for all sorts of different reasons, some good and some very distructive, I doubt that that's what 99% of OC'rs are doing it for. What exactaly "frightens" you about it? Are you equally as frightened when you see the same pistol on the waistband of a police officer?

"...please stop telling us that you are making the streets safer. If we want your help fighting crime, we'll ask you."

Really? Because even though I train daily in close quarter hand to hand combat, I have never ever had someone come up to me and ask me to fight crime. Nor is it my job to do so. The same goes for OC'rs. Fighting crime is the job of the police, not a civilian OC'r that is simply protecting his/herself. Does it "make the streets safer"? Sure, but that's due to the presence of it as a deterrent to would be crime and NOT because we are going around with a chip on our shoulder.

"On the first page of the California section of Sunday's Times, there is a report about a group seeking broader acceptance of guns in public.
Inside the section, on Page 39, the Times reports that a boy killed his young brother by shooting him accidentally.
Enough said."

The two are 100% unrelated both in context and reality. But thank you media moguls for yet again placing the stories in the same headline to keep the general population (sheep) in fear of firearms. In other words, ignorance makes for an easier controlled population I guess.

"...nobody really wants to go to the beach if there are people carrying weapons around."

Funny, the last time I was at the beach, which was not too long ago since I live right next to it, I saw a bunch of weapon weilding people around. They wear badges and supply a healthy dose of revenue to the cities in which they are employed. Didn't seam to deter too many people from frolicking in the surf. At least I'm not actively looking to site you for something or worse, arrest you. Oh, and just because you don't see weapons, doesn't neccissarily mean that people don't (legally) have them all around you (CCW's). With that knowledge, I guess you will either go around paranoid ALL the time or you will simply never leave your house. Psst... stay indoors, less ignorant mindsets are likely to be spread that way.

"How would you guys feel if, say, a few carloads of Crips showed up right next to your beach BBQ, all sporting guns, with ammo on the other hip?"

Provided they obtained the guns legally and OC'd legally... perfectly fine. Remember that thing called the Constitution?

"Guns are for killing. When you go to the beach, take a surfboard, take a Frisbee, take a guitar or take a California girl. Leave the death machine at home..."

When you can personally GUARANTEE me that you have convinced the would be rapist/murderer/kidnapper/anarchist to leave his weapons and/or bad intentions at home before he/she comes to the same public place.... You've got a deal!

:banghead: