• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

San Diego police dispatchers do not dispatch police to check out open carriers

Chrisc411

guys as much as we would all love that SDPD would not dispatch sam was a bit to calm about and gave to much info, You know the sheep will over react and exaggerate on what is happening forcing them to come out plus i doubt they will call the non emergency line. If only this is how they reacted to every call then we'd be heading in the right way.

Gundude

I made a similar call a few months ago. I think the dispatchers here in San Diego country have had excellent training. The one I got was very calm and reassured me that it was perfectly legal to UOC. She asked me what the OC'er was doing. I told her, "pushing a shopping cart". She did say that if I was uncomfortable about it they would send an officer out. I told her it wasn't necessary that I had returned home. Kudo's to the SD dispatchers.

Last edited:

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
So, youre saying if there were more of a nervous hand-wringing tone in his voice, some hyperbole, or perhaps a call from a high strung female, that this would have resulted in certain police contact? Would it garner a response if 911 was called instead?

I think behind the scenes, that there is something more than one individuals judgement involved in dispatching police. There are standards by which the call center is trained to support, and I think that training, not Sam's calm matter-of-fact delivery is the reason why law enforcement was not dispatched to investigate a non-crime. We can attribute this increase of awareness to the multiple training and legal memos that have been issued as a result of those trailblazers of the OC movement in California.

EXTREMEOPS1

Campaign Veteran
Snipers dispatched by Escondido PD for open carrying an AK47

From Infowars.com:-

"My Open Carry Experience – My name is Arne, I live in Escondido, CA which is in North County, San Diego. The Neighborhood I live in a nice place, but it is getting over-run by gangs, Mostly Hispanics and Blacks, although there are also White Gangs, as well as illegal immigrants. After seeing several attempted car-jackings on my street, including my girlfriend’s car, along with constant fresh graffiti, large parties spilling into the streets with fights, etc., I researched all the Open Carry Laws at Escondido-Open-Carry.org to the fullest and decided to try to exercize my Unloaded Open Carry rights. I work at a Tattoo Shop a couple blocks away from my home, and decided to carry my Rifle, a black off-brand AK-47, slung on my back, with a 10 round magazine in my lower leg pocket. Just after I arrived at the shop, the phone rang with the Escondido Police Department. After informing them that Yes I carried my rifle to work unloaded, they ask me to go outside and down the street. I kindly stated I’m just exercizing my Unloaded Open Carry rights. I had generated over 20 calls in about 10 minutes. One officer asked me why I was doing it. I told him it was a test exercize of my 2nd Amendment Open Carry Right, and it wasn’t something I plan on doing regularly. The Rifle was inspected, after the Police searched the entire shop and then asked via radio where the Rifle was, I told them under my cabinet. The Officers confirmed the Rifle was unloaded, in my name, and legal, and agreed I was within my rights. After the Police Chief inspected it a second time in front of me, asking me where I purchased it, how long ago, if I had modified it.. etc. He was very intimidating. Later I would learn that I had several snipers on me, besides the 8 or so Officers, one with an AR-15, that responded, and was also informed the next time I would be ARRESTED. One younger officer was actually very understanding and informative. He let me know most people Open Carry with a Handgun in a Holster, and that is more defensive by nature, and a Rifle is more offensive by nature. He gave me his personal opinion, which was that more people are starting to Open-Carry, and the Gangsters know it and it gives them the opportunity to attack you and take your gun and go buy ammo, and also asked me if I had any questions, I asked if I called ahead next time I was planning to Open Carry if it would be OK? He responded saying they couldn’t guarantee that there wouldn’t be the same response. It hit me then that we have rights but we really don’t have rights. Police don’t really have any power, but they have All The Power In The World."

So it would seem someone in Escondido PD needs a bit of instruction on what an open carriers rights are in SD ....

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
From Infowars.com:-
Snipers dispatched by Escondido PD for open carrying an AK47

Always link it or it didnt happen. (Not that infowars.com is any credible authority on news or the factuality of this or any other occurance.)

A search of infowars site shows that this was a response to the blog entry here. (http://www.infowars.com/why-not-carry-the-big-gun/)

The account in my opinion, is dubious. I doubt that snipers were dispatched by 911 for someone carrying an AK a couple of blocks to their place of business. (Insert tinfoil hat smiley here) One of the problems with this anecdote is that such a massive response mounted by police would have garnered media attention, as on a similar vein, I recall a young man who was detained for being in a San Diego bank for having a belt buckle that was shaped like a handgun- this made a media splash where there was no arrest made.

What has me convinced that this account is fictional is the phone call from EPD when he arrived would be impossible unless the police knew in advance who was carrying this AK or had observed him entering the business... and later in the anecdote the author asks the police if he should call in advance of openly carrying. If he asked about calling the police in advance, it is logical to assume that he hadnt called to tell them this time- then only way the police would have been able to know where to call is to have observed him walking into his business. So how long does it take to walk a couple of blocks? I think it is much less time than it is to be the subject of twenty 911 calls, for police to dispatch a dozen or more officers and mobilize snipers on roof tops for someone displaying no more offensive behavior than walking to work while armed.

pullnshoot25

Escondido is my hometown and I think I would have probably gotten wind of something had this actually happened by any number of people that know me and write stories down. Hell, Reaster would have sent out an APB on it through his predictably regular e-mail notification service.

EXTREMEOPS1

Campaign Veteran
That was my source ...

Escondido is my hometown and I think I would have probably gotten wind of something had this actually happened by any number of people that know me and write stories down. Hell, Reaster would have sent out an APB on it through his predictably regular e-mail notification service.

Funnily enough Reaster sent it to me a while back and decided to post it here after the original esco cops are not dispatched to Open Carriers !

Anyone seen Gerald Reaster or Donna around been sometime since had any info from them

Last edited:

Wheelie19

Yeah, I gotta agree with pullnshoot here. I'm in North County too, west of Escondido on the coast. As pullnshoot can tell you, word travels fast in North County and I believe that I too would have heard if that story happened as told.

EXTREMEOPS1

Campaign Veteran
yep that reaster guy scaremongering us escondido residents

Yeah, I gotta agree with pullnshoot here. I'm in North County too, west of Escondido on the coast. As pullnshoot can tell you, word travels fast in North County and I believe that I too would have heard if that story happened as told.

Sorry I didn't find any further info apart from the infowars site post but hell yeah if anyone is open carrying an AK47 anywhere let alone in my hometown of escondido give that man a beer !!! :cool:

ArneFNH

Defending my open carry experience

Hey guys. This is Arne the guy who posted the open carry experience on infowars comments. Just wanted to back up my story as it happened exactly as i stated. No there was not any media coverage of it, as for the number of calls recieved i dont know and I am not sure if there were snipers but thats what i had been told although i did not see any. Our state has now outlawed UOC as you know, and our city has had more crime than ever. I now have lost my driving privledge because of bad judgement earning me a dui, and am forced to ride a bike, and live slightly farther from my work than when i open carried the AK. My late hours of work come with unavoidable contact with night crawling scum of escondido as well as occasional police harrassment. Now unable to arm myself i rely on my large size, the speed of my bike, and a pocket knife for my defense.I traded the AK toward a new Mini-14 which I gave to my dad. My handgun and AR stay locked up at home where they will more likely be needed eventually, with record numbers of home invasion robberies plaguing our city. Just wanted to say thanks for reading and discussing my account for what its worth!