• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How to reply to common comments while OCing?

DoomGoober

I'm new to open carry. I've noticed that people tend to say the same things when they notice I'm carrying. Do you guys have any suggestions for responses? Do you guys carry pamphlets around?

1) "Is that thing loaded?" I always want to reply, "It'd be kind of useless if it wasn't!" but instead politely say, "Yes." I think what they're actually asking is, "Is it safe?" I could try to explain DA/SA and firing pin blocks, but it seems like too long and too technical a conversation. Or they're really saying #2:

2) "Wow, I'm not going to do anything to piss you off." This is almost always said to me half-jokingly, but it makes me feel bad -- they are basically telling me they're afraid of me. I want to say something like, "Don't worry, it's staying in the holster unless catastrophe happens," but it doesn't sound right.

3) "Is that legal?" Now, this one I can answer comfortably (especially when a lawyer happens to be at the table and she jumps in by citing RCW! How cool was that woman?)

4) Ignoring me when I'm talking to them. This is usually when I'm saying good morning to a random passerby (which I always do even when I'm not OCing.) I guess I'll have to be OK with it.

JSlack

good questions. I am new to this, in fact, I have not OC'd yet...I think I might this afternoon when I get off work though.

this is what my newby responses would be:

1~
My sister just asked me this one last night actually and I replied, "yes it is". her next question was, "so if you pulled the trigger it would go off?" I said, well, yes, and no. I explained to her about the grip safety, trigger safety and the falling block internal safety. She then asked that when I carry, if it is loaded. I said "yes" and then she asked "what if someone bumped the gun, or something got caught in the trigger and squeezed it? I explained how the holster covers the trigger and for something to get in there, the pistol would have to be "out" of the holster at least a little bit, and even then, unless the grip safety was depressed, it was not going to go off.
I know, a little long response to just a passer by type question.
If it was someone who I didn't know, I would tell them, "yes it is loaded, but the safeties are on"

2~
I feel the same way as you. No need for anyone to be afraid of me, or anyone else who is OCing. If they were half joking, I might say
"It takes alot for me to get upset" jokingly in response and then try to extend the exchange to give them a little explanation of why it would get used, and then educate them on why I carry a pistol. I would lean toward this joking response to kind of show them that I am a lighthearted good guy...try to ease their "afraid" response to seeing a pistol.

3~
easy to answer as I can either explain OC laws or produce my CPL to explain CC.

4~
agree'd, just get used to people either A-being in a grumpy mood and would not respond to your salutations regardless
or B- some people want nothing to do with guns. I can respect their rights, and just live with it. :D

Good questions. I look forward to others responses!

bennie1986

I’ve been OCing for about one and a half years now and I OC about 90% of the time I carry. My answers will vary based on the demeanor of the person asking. The best thing to do in any situation is to be yourself because if you feel uncomfortable it will show and that will probably make people around you feel uncomfortable.
1) My answer for this question is my magazine is full but I don’t carry with one in the chamber. *Side note; I don’t carry with one in the chamber as a compromise with my wife because we have little kids. I know someone will comment on this but I’m not debating it so don’t try.
2) Normally I just chuckle and shake my head because I take it a joke. I walked into a convenience store one day and the clerk, joking, threw up her hands and said please don’t rob me and we both just started laughing.
3) I love when people ask me if its legal because that when you really get a chance to educate someone. I just lay out the facts and try not to drag it out unless they want a more detailed answer, which I’m always more the willing to provide.
4) This happens a lot and you right you have to just deal with it and its generally because they are uncomfortable with guns. If the situation is more than just walk past someone, like a checker at the grocery store, I just try to strike up any conversation I can and try the be the most pleasant person they have ever talked too. My goal is to try to make them as comfortable as possible so the next time I see them they will remember me as that really nice guy with the gun. That way hopefully the next person they see with a gun won’t make them fell as uncomfortable.
My personal favorite questions are when people ask, “oh so you have a canceled permit or something” or “isn’t that suppose to be concealed”? Again I just lay out the facts with an upbeat attitude.

Batousaii

I get questions too ...

~ A belated welcome to both of you,
- So, I mostly OC a very obvious western gunslinger rig, and it tends to be a conversation piece to interested passers. Most of the time it's positive, and I do my best to minimize or thwart negative encounters with a polite minimal reply.
Yesterday at Harbor Freight I was OCing a Colt 1911, and some random guy asked me "Is that a real loaded gun?" Now, I could tell he was skittish about it by the tone of his voice, like he just couldn’t believe it. So I simply said "Yeap" with a polite, but slightly un interested tone (sorta same answer he would get if he asked me if my cell phone was T-mobile). Then he asked the other pre-programmed response of "Are you law enforcement or something?" and I said in the same un interested tone "Nope.." - The conversation was done, no debate about his opinion, or how he doesn’t like it. - Compare - Couple weeks ago in Old Country Buffett, I was asked similar by a cheerful young lady (employee) who asked "Wow!~ is that a real gun?" I joking replied, "It’d be silly if it was fake eh?" - She laughed and agreed, and we had a polite conversation about WA-Laws and rights. Ended with me giving her a pamphlet, and her thanking me for the info.
- The "I’m not messing with you" joke is admittedly awkward, I just figure they don’t really know how else to break the ice, but are otherwise curious. I can usually turn those into a positive encounter by joking that I probably wouldn’t mess with him either. That usually gets a chuckle and they start talking about firearms and stuff.
- Over all, I find being old fashioned polite and well mannered or just minimal if need be tends to ensure negative encounters are few and far between. 99% of the time, I get absolutely no reaction. I enjoy my days carrying how and what I like to carry, and enjoy a bit of conversation along the way.

A good day to you :)

Bat

Last edited:

69Charger

Just be pleasant and smile.
First impressions are important.
Then just do your best. :)
Dave

ShooterMcGavin

In other threads, I have heard the question "why do you carry a gun?". I hate hearing the response "Because I can". It sounds so stupid and it is essentially a non-answer. It seems generally like a F*** You to the one asking the question, and they might be honestly seeking out your reason for carrying.

Imagine the same answer ("Because I can") given in response to some other questions:
Why do you carry a cell phone?
Why do you carry a pocket knife?
Why do you wear a belt?

.45ACPaddy

I use the seatbelt analogy. If someone asks why I carry, I ask them why they wear their seatbelt. Almost immediately they say "Well I don't know when I'll be in an accident!" I pause for a second and let them absorb what they just said, and come in with "...and I don't know when I'll be in a confrontation with an armed thug." Most seem to get it after that. I'll also explain the "it's always someone else" attitude to them, and point out that they hear about stuff on the news all the time. What about that guy? I'll bet he was thinking it's always someone else, until it happened to him.

Metalhead47

Just curious, how have y'all handled this one: "Oh, that's not real."?

I was at Staples the other day, in line behind a mother & lil girl who I'd passed a couple times elsewhere in the store. Lil girl points to my sidearm & says "Mommy, gun!" not afraid, but in that "Look at me, I know what that is" manner lil kids have. Mommy gives me a dirty look and says to her "it's not real" & proceeds to distract her. Didn't say anything, since nothing was said directly to me. Any witty comebacks to this one?

devildoc5

Just curious, how have y'all handled this one: "Oh, that's not real."?

I was at Staples the other day, in line behind a mother & lil girl who I'd passed a couple times elsewhere in the store. Lil girl points to my sidearm & says "Mommy, gun!" not afraid, but in that "Look at me, I know what that is" manner lil kids have. Mommy gives me a dirty look and says to her "it's not real" & proceeds to distract her. Didn't say anything, since nothing was said directly to me. Any witty comebacks to this one?

"it's only as real as the trigger finger wants it to be?" J/k

amzbrady

I use the seatbelt analogy. If someone asks why I carry, I ask them why they wear their seatbelt. Almost immediately they say "Well I don't know when I'll be in an accident!" I pause for a second and let them absorb what they just said, and come in with "...and I don't know when I'll be in a confrontation with an armed thug." Most seem to get it after that. I'll also explain the "it's always someone else" attitude to them, and point out that they hear about stuff on the news all the time. What about that guy? I'll bet he was thinking it's always someone else, until it happened to him.

LOL, What do you say if they answer the seat belt question with "because it's the law and I'll get a ticket and a huge fine, if I dont"?

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
SNIP "Wow, I'm not going to do anything to piss you off." This is almost always said to me half-jokingly, but it makes me feel bad -- they are basically telling me they're afraid of me. I want to say something like, "Don't worry, it's staying in the holster unless catastrophe happens," but it doesn't sound right.

Usually, they are just making a joke. I would not attach too much significance to it. I usually just chuckle, smile, and say, "Oh, I'm pretty tame." Or, some such. Then I usually ask them where theirs is, lightheartedly, but for all the world as though it would be totally natural for them to have one. Of course, I know they probably aren't carrying, so I'm really only asking as a way to keep the conversation going in order to promote self-defense and 2A. For example,

Them: "Oh, I don't have a gun."

Me: "Good heavens! How would you defend yourself?"

Them: "Call the police."

Me: "Well, you know the old saying, 'When seconds count the police are just minutes away.'"

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
LOL, What do you say if they answer the seat belt question with "because it's the law and I'll get a ticket and a huge fine, if I dont"?

Suggested reply, "Well, getting stabbed, beaten, or raped would be a pretty steep fine, wouldn't it?"

Tawnos

1) Indeed. Wouldn't be very useful if it weren't.

2) You could try to piss me off, but I'd probably just laugh about it.

3) Yessir/Yes ma'am

4) *mumblemumblemumble*

Metal_Monkey

I'm new to open carry. I've noticed that people tend to say the same things when they notice I'm carrying. Do you guys have any suggestions for responses? Do you guys carry pamphlets around?

1) "Is that thing loaded?" I always want to reply, "It'd be kind of useless if it wasn't!" but instead politely say, "Yes." I think what they're actually asking is, "Is it safe?" I could try to explain DA/SA and firing pin blocks, but it seems like too long and too technical a conversation. Or they're really saying #2:

2) "Wow, I'm not going to do anything to piss you off." This is almost always said to me half-jokingly, but it makes me feel bad -- they are basically telling me they're afraid of me. I want to say something like, "Don't worry, it's staying in the holster unless catastrophe happens," but it doesn't sound right.

3) "Is that legal?" Now, this one I can answer comfortably (especially when a lawyer happens to be at the table and she jumps in by citing RCW! How cool was that woman?)

4) Ignoring me when I'm talking to them. This is usually when I'm saying good morning to a random passerby (which I always do even when I'm not OCing.) I guess I'll have to be OK with it.

Keep in mind I am not so bashful I think the word is.....but I have had all of these asked to me quite a bit.
#1. "Is that thing loaded" = Does a bear **** in the woods?
#2. "Wow, I'm not going to do anything to piss you off." = Would you if I didn't have it? OR MY FAVORITE! "It's not me you have to worry about[nodding toward my wife who doesn't OC ;) ] Ended with a wink. Priceless.
#3. "Is that legal?"= (This depends on the tone of who is asking) Usually I say, "Of course". If they are an ass about it they get an ass response back.
#4 I do half smile and nod towards people usually and get the same back. I keep a friendly, but alert vibe around people.

My question to you and everyone else I guess.....Have any of you ran into any "gangstas" with that anything could happen feeling? This is the ONLY thing that raises the hairs up for me. That and trigger happy police. A lot of people that I have talked to that don't really know about OC or guns to much in general seem to think OCing and all that died in the old west.....or stays in Texas.

USMC1911

1. "Is that real?" I smile, nod my head and say "Yes, it is".
2. "Why do you OC ?" I say, "Self protection and the protection of my loved ones."
3. "Do you have a permit ?" I explain how a "permit" is not required for one to OC. (RCW's ect.)
4. "Are you a LEO ? " I say, "No, I am a law abiding citizen protecting myself and my family."
5. "Is that loaded ?" I say, "Yes it is, an unloaded weapon provides no protection for myself or my family."

I have not had an encounter with a LEO (yet). All my encounters with citizens have been uneventful and I have had the opportunity to educate a few of them. Most comments I receive are positive.

Semper Fi

Last edited:

John Hardin

Them: "Oh, I don't have a gun."

Me: "Good heavens! How would you defend yourself?"

Them: "Call the police."
"Average police response time to a 911 call is roughly five minutes, if they respond at all. Plus, you're assuming that you will have the time and opportunity to get your phone out, dial 911, wait for the dispatcher to answer, and report the incident coherently enough that they will know your life is in danger and know where to find you. Do you think a mugger or rapist will politely wait while you do that?"

Just Us

"Average police response time to a 911 call is roughly five minutes, if they respond at all. Plus, you're assuming that you will have the time and opportunity to get your phone out, dial 911, wait for the dispatcher to answer, and report the incident coherently enough that they will know your life is in danger and know where to find you. Do you think a mugger or rapist will politely wait while you do that?"

If you talk to the mugger or rapist right, most of them (I think) might give you a couple minutes on the phone. I think most of them are down to earth people. Oh another thing, giving the officers five minutes, you must be right next to where they hang out.
****Sarcasm****

Unless it's positive, I prefer not to take the time to deal with them.

I do agree that I don't see to many lions around either!