• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How to reply to common comments while OCing?

amzbrady

I have also had pretty good responses to carry. In fact it has came in handy once. I was in a resturaunt and a couple was letting their bebe kid run wild and bothering everyone. The kid noticed my firearm and said "Mommy, he has a gun" the parents made him sit down, they quickly finished their meal and left. No more wild child, too bad it took the kid noticeing my gun to make the parents do their job and be parents. Had a couple old guys at a wal mart mcdonalds saw my firearm and asked "is that a squirt gun". I said yes, "if I have to defend myself with it, it will make someone squirt". Had another guy in safeway slide past me in a tight isle and saw it, he threw his hands up and said "whoa, dont shoot", so I threw my hands up and said, "whoa, dont threaten my life and I won't". I'm still waiting to steal and use a response I saw on here about it being family tradition and that all our forefathers carried, I like that one.
I have gotten myself needlessly a little worked up on hightened alert for no reason on a couple occasions. Like an Arco I was in and a cop walked in right behind me, I kept waiting for him to make contact and kept rolling over and over what I would say, and he didnt even acknowledge me. Or when managers in store seem like they are following me, maybe they are for a few, but they always go away. I am always listening to the intercom for an alert. I did however have a group get together and watch me in electronics in Wal-mart, one guy proceeded to follow me so I played hide and seek with him, I ran down a few isles and he kept following so I slid around the corner of an isle and he walked right into me and I tagged him and said "tag, your it". He stopped following me.
I try to have fun everyday, and try to put that into my responses, granted if someone is an asshat I would have to think cause it is all to easy for me to be an ass also.

Metal_Monkey

I have also had pretty good responses to carry. In fact it has came in handy once. I was in a resturaunt and a couple was letting their bebe kid run wild and bothering everyone. The kid noticed my firearm and said "Mommy, he has a gun" the parents made him sit down, they quickly finished their meal and left. No more wild child, too bad it took the kid noticeing my gun to make the parents do their job and be parents. Had a couple old guys at a wal mart mcdonalds saw my firearm and asked "is that a squirt gun". I said yes, "if I have to defend myself with it, it will make someone squirt". Had another guy in safeway slide past me in a tight isle and saw it, he threw his hands up and said "whoa, dont shoot", so I threw my hands up and said, "whoa, dont threaten my life and I won't". I'm still waiting to steal and use a response I saw on here about it being family tradition and that all our forefathers carried, I like that one.
I have gotten myself needlessly a little worked up on hightened alert for no reason on a couple occasions. Like an Arco I was in and a cop walked in right behind me, I kept waiting for him to make contact and kept rolling over and over what I would say, and he didnt even acknowledge me. Or when managers in store seem like they are following me, maybe they are for a few, but they always go away. I am always listening to the intercom for an alert. I did however have a group get together and watch me in electronics in Wal-mart, one guy proceeded to follow me so I played hide and seek with him, I ran down a few isles and he kept following so I slid around the corner of an isle and he walked right into me and I tagged him and said "tag, your it". He stopped following me.
I try to have fun everyday, and try to put that into my responses, granted if someone is an asshat I would have to think cause it is all to easy for me to be an ass also.

ME AND MY WIFE DID THE SAME THING AT WAL-MART!!!!!!!!!!Of course I didn't do the tag thing because I'm pretty sure he was security(but looked to much like an UCO). I did however sneak up behind him with a gun mag open and said to my wife, "See hun, this gun isn't big enough to kill someone, I need something bigger like this BARRETT. ". He pretty much vanished after that.

DoomGoober

Thank you all!

Those are some awesome responses! I chuckled reading the whole thing. I think the take away is: when open carrying it helps to have a good sense of humor. I'm usually just super polite and I don't get into any trouble but I also don't feel like I'm winning anyone over. I'll have to try some of your responses and come up with some of my own.

Thanks again.

.45ACPaddy

LOL, What do you say if they answer the seat belt question with "because it's the law and I'll get a ticket and a huge fine, if I dont"?

"What if it wasn't the law? Would you still wear it?

No: Well, I hope you never get in an accident. But if you do, you'll wish you had it.

Yes: Ok, well then, besides the fact it's the law, why do you still wear it?

John Hardin

... in Wal-mart, one guy proceeded to follow me so I played hide and seek with him, I ran down a few isles and he kept following so I slid around the corner of an isle and he walked right into me and I tagged him and said "tag, your it". He stopped following me.
Comedy gold, and a very good way to defuse the situation. Bravo, and I'll have to remember that one!

David.Car

1) "Is that thing loaded?" - What would be the point in carrying an empty one?

2) "Wow, I'm not going to do anything to piss you off." - That further proves a favorite quote of mine. "An armed society is a polite society."

3) "Is that legal?" - Yes, here is a card/pamphlet with some of the RCWs regarding carrying a firearm as well as the address for a website where you can find out more.

4) Ignoring me when I'm talking to them. - Who cares, some people are assholes whether you carry a firearm or not.

Replies in red.

SayWhat

Thus far I've only had one contact from a citizen...

Him: "What would a cop do if he saw you with that?"
Me: "Nothing, it's completely legal to open carry in Washington State"
Him: "No ****?"
Me: "No ****."
Him: "I gotta go buy a holster"

Everybody else just looks; I give them a smile/nod/waive and go about my business.

Or you could ask them if they know who Thomas Jefferson is then quote him.

"The Constitution of most of our states (and of the United States) assert that all power is inherent in the people; that they may exercise it by themselves; that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed and that they are entitled to freedom of person, freedom of religion, freedom of property, and freedom of press."

daddy4count

Background: Some time ago my car was broken into... they took several thousand dollars (and several hundred pounds) of backpacking gear. They did it in broad daylight, in my driveway, while my wife was at home!!!

Since then I have made it a point to open carry to and from work and as much as possible around the neighborhood. I decided that as a preemptive measure I would do my best to earn the reputation of "crazy gun guy" on my street.

It seems to have worked... somewhat...

Yesterday afternoon I was in my driveway, not wearing the pistol, when one of several teenage hooligans who walks that street regularly looked at me from the road and asked, in a smart-ass tone of voice, "Hey, where is your GUN?"

It caught me off guard... and not knowing what to expect my response was:

"You know, there is no such thing as a stupid question. But that is the most FOOLISH one I've ever been asked."

His ****-eating grin quickly faded and he turned to continue on his way... hopefully spreading the word to all of his other smart-ass, hooligan friends about the "Crazy Gun Guy of 8th Ave".

I know it's not the typical interaction we discuss here... but I wanted to share...

Lante

As I normally OC in an obvious western style rig, I am pretty used to getting comments....but my 10 yr old has started answering them in his own way....

Is that a gun? - Yes and it is real.

Is it loaded? - It doesn't work if it isn't! (and the occasional "your stupid look" accompanied by "all guns are always loaded')

Why do you have it? - BECAUSE I AM WORTH PROTECTING! (he pointed out to one of his friends that I am his "bodyguard") lol!

And the latest bit of wisdom from the mind of a 10 yr old in response to an adults 'worry' about having guns in the house and the kids "playing" with them..."I don't play with his drill, or saws either!"

I love my kids!

devildoc5

And the latest bit of wisdom from the mind of a 10 yr old in response to an adults 'worry' about having guns in the house and the kids "playing" with them..."I don't play with his drill, or saws either!"

I love my kids!

Very best answer I could think of! And straight from the kids mouth! How would the antis feel about that?

A kid that has actually been TAUGHT right and wrong by their parents and has enough RESPONSIBILITY to know what he can and cannot do?!?!?!?!?

:shock:

Maybe that should be their "new gun control" initiative? Teach kids to be responsible for their own actions and ACTUALLY BE PARENTS!

Novel concept I know......

joeswarms

I OC in Cap Hill Seattle all the time, I only really get reactions from transients. "hey you got a doll-whoa! that guy's got a gun!"

Alot of bewildered looks, I understand though, its liberalsville.

Last edited:

kwikrnu

Banned
Or you can just be real nice and tell them it's none of their business.

deserteaglefu.jpg

I named her fu, short for kung fu.

Last edited: