• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Chicago's New "Saturday Night Special" ban

Dreamer

Yeah, I've been considering getting a suppressor for my Walther P22, but the idea of paying more for the suppressor ($150-200 +$200 tax stamp) than I paid for the firearm just seems a little silly...

ARADCOM

The list makes no sense to me.

I have NO idea why the Sig Mosquito is on that list. It's a great little "plinker" (although not nearly as reliable as the Walther P22 or the Ruger .22 semiautos) and is VERY popular. The only reason I can imagine it's on that list is BECAUSE it's popular and relatively inexpensive. It's interesting that the big-bore Sigs (which cost 3 or 4 times what the Mosquito does) are not on that list.

And the Walther P22 is also on the list. Maybe they think the Walther P22 and the Sig Mosquito are unsafe because 22 cal is to small for self defense.

XD40coyote

I have an idea why some are on there:

hi-points- too ghetto, I mean you can watch those shows like "First 48" and see them arresting people and finding hi-points under their beds. So based on this, hi-points are too likley to be possessed by poor black people like Otis McDonald, and we can't have that!

walther p22- OMG! Cho had one of these! VA Tech! It is obviously a VERY evil gun model!

sig mosquito- OMG! Those 2 school shooters in Finland had these! Another gun model that is obviously really really evil!

I'm surprised the Glock 19 isn't also listed, since Cho used one!

Daley's popo buddies forgot the S and W 617 10 shot revolver in .22 lr. This has got to be evil- a 10 shot revolver? And a .22! It might get used in a school shooting in Finland! Plus this gun is waaaay too accurate with a 6" barrel. I know, I own one. OMG I am soooo evil!

RANDYT

If daley wants to ban daisy products thats fine. But he better check out 15 USC 5001 subsection g because banning bb or pellet guns is a violation of the interstate commerce code.

eye95

They might not have standing, but they could certainly help bankroll a suit if they wanted to. In the long run I think that would be in their best interests...

Of course they would have standing. They could sue for restraint of trade based on an arbitrary list of manufacturers without an objective set of criteria describing an unsafe gun.

Tomas

I see that Cobray is NOT on the list. So my "Ladies home Companion" pistol is legal but not the HiPoint C9. My Cobray holds 12 rounds of 45/70 Gov't and is classified as a pistol.

Seriously, that Cobray really does look like something that would have been ordered from the inside back cover of an early '50s comic book. Some inexpensive kids' toy imagined to look as evil as possible. :) (...and yes, an "ACME" decal on the side in red, black, and yellow would complete the look.) :lol:

===> http://tijil.org/ACME-streetsweeper01.jpg

How is that thing to shoot?

Last edited:

Bill Starks

State Researcher
Seriously, that Cobray really does look like something that would have been ordered from the inside back cover of an early '50s comic book. Some inexpensive kids' toy imagined to look as evil as possible. :) (...and yes, an "ACME" decal on the side in red, black, and yellow would complete the look.) :lol:

===> http://tijil.org/ACME-streetsweeper01.jpg

How is that thing to shoot?

The only ladies that I know could have shot this thing were Russian Shotputers from the 72 Olympics. After shooting 12 rounds of 310gr copper jacketed bullets you feel like your wrist was hit by a sledge hammer....

steamnsteel

If daley wants to ban daisy products thats fine. But he better check out 15 USC 5001 subsection g because banning bb or pellet guns is a violation of the interstate commerce code.

So does this mean that Johnson City TN. is in violation? I am almost certain that BB guns are not allowed to be sold within city limits.

Jim675

Founder's Club Member
Therefore other models are "safe".

Doesn't this implicit certification of other brands as safe open the city to liability if anyone should have an "accidental" shooting or other mishap?

Dreamer

Doesn't this implicit certification of other brands as safe open the city to liability if anyone should have an "accidental" shooting or other mishap?

We don't have to wait for the Citizens of Chicago to buy guns to have a problem with NDs in Chicago...

The Chicago Police and other IL departments have a pretty good handle on that themselves...

http://blogs.chicagotribune.com/news_columnists_ezorn/2007/04/weems.html

http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2009/03/police-seal-off-uic-building.html

http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/...n-to-hospital-from-vernon-hills-best-buy.html

http://www.wsbt.com/news/local/37403634.html

http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=365045&src=5

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...tally-chicago-police-court-records-show-perry

oh, and BTW, Drew Peterson was a Sergeant in the Bolingbrook PD in IL...

I don't mean nothin' by that, I'm just sayin'...

Dreamer

Good point! :D

I can see it now... "Get your Glock 18 now! Approved as safe by Mayor Daley and the City of Chicago." :lol:

Actually, the CPD decided in the early 1990's that the Glock was so unsafe that they wouldn't even allow their own officers to carry them. I don't know if that ban is still in effect, but it would not be surprising...

UPDATE: The CPD now REQUIRES all new recruits to carry Glocks at the Academy (since 2008). Hmmmm...

http://www.policeone.com/police-pro...1627-Glocks-required-for-Chicago-PD-recruits/

Maybe this explains the massive jump in ND cases in Chicago.

Just because it's not on "the list" doesn't mean that can't bounce an application for some other dreamed-up reason.

Last edited:

Thundar

Actually, the CPD decided in the early 1990's that the Glock was so unsafe that they wouldn't even allow their own officers to carry them. I don't know if that ban is still in effect, but it would not be surprising...

UPDATE: The CPD now REQUIRES all new recruits to carry Glocks at the Academy (since 2008). Hmmmm...

http://www.policeone.com/police-pro...1627-Glocks-required-for-Chicago-PD-recruits/

Maybe this explains the massive jump in ND cases in Chicago.

Just because it's not on "the list" doesn't mean that can't bounce an application for some other dreamed-up reason.

You are talking about Chicago. They have no problem making $#!+ up. Look at the list they just constructed.

Kirbinator

Why does it not surprise me that Hi-Point firearms made the list? They're supposedly the fourth largest manufacturer of handguns in the country, so they must make a good product. Sure, their handguns are ugly and heavy, but they work. Unsafe? I'd sure like to see Chicago's criteria for determining safety.

As the owner of a Hi-Point C9, I too would like to see the criteria. I've never had a problem with an AD/ND. I have had a few problems with getting it to cycle certain rounds BUT I also haven't taken care of the firearm. The only "dangerous" part is that if you pick mine up and try to run ten rounds through it, it might not go off after round three, five, six, or eight.

Perhaps the perspective needs to be considered -- it's only dangerous for me if I have it aimed at the BG and it doesn't go off. I train for this scenario, religiously. But that's why I carry a BUG.

Last edited:

Tomas

Heh. The only Hi-Point I have is the 995 Carbine, and it's cheap, but its only "problem," other than being rather ugly, is that when you pull the trigger it so far invariably makes a very loud noise and spits a slug downrange... Every time. *shrug*

arms01.jpg

Wastelander

...w...t...f...?

A list of "unsafe" guns with no definition of "unsafe" that includes all sorts of perfectly safe guns and leaves safety-less Glocks off? There is no doubt that they are being classist with this list, as well as arbitrary in some cases and idiotic overall. Isn't it illegal to prevent the purchase of a C&R gun, by the way, since they are covered by a Federal license? That would free up the Colt Deringers and several other models on that list, I believe. As it stands, C&R guns (CZ's, Makarovs, and Tokarevs, for example) look like the only affordable guns left that aren't on that list unless you find some really cheap used ones.

Dreamer

The "unsafe" factor in almost all these guns is that ORDINARY PEOPLE can afford them.

The idea that poor people, minorities, single mothers, retirees on fixed incomes, etc, might actually want to have firearms for self defense is, in the eyes of the Chicago government, a VERY unsafe situation...

But if you can afford a $1000 Sig Sauer, or a $1500 Kimber, or a $2500 Ed Brown or Wilson, then THAT would be safe...

It's not about the guns on the list, people. It's about WHO would be owning the guns. Do the math...

Apparently, Daley believes that an armed citizenry--ESPECIALLY those citizens in the lower economic brackets--is some sort of threat to the Status Quo.

And perhaps, he is correct...

I'd bet an armed citizenry would be a SERIOUS threat to this sort of thing:

http://www.suntimes.com/news/georgeryantrial/30883,cst-nws-ryan27.article

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...718_1_indictment-extortion-charges-inspectors

eye95

As the owner of a Hi-Point C9, I too would like to see the criteria. I've never had a problem with an AD/ND. I have had a few problems with getting it to cycle certain rounds BUT I also haven't taken care of the firearm. The only "dangerous" part is that if you pick mine up and try to run ten rounds through it, it might not go off after round three, five, six, or eight.

Perhaps the perspective needs to be considered -- it's only dangerous for me if I have it aimed at the BG and it doesn't go off. I train for this scenario, religiously. But that's why I carry a BUG.

I don't think there are criteria--at least none that they will share with the world.

It's a safe bet that the criterion that added Hi-Points to the list is that they are inexpensive. To those who would ban guns, an affordable gun is a dangerous gun.