• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Need advice on apartment nfa

Undertaker

I just recieved a call from a close friend who lives in the Henry Clay Apartments in Ashland. Today there has been a sign posted at the lobby entrance prohibiting firearms (including residents). I'm looking for some documentation regarding apartment building residences being prohibited to protect themselves. I'll also post this in the Legal Forum. Thanks, in advance, for posting anything you can on this matter that I can help these people out with.

Undertaker

Who owns this property? Is it private or public housing? Does your friend have a lease? What does it say? Lots of unanswered questions here.

This is privately owned property, owner rents private apartments, 52 unit complex, there is a basic open end lease with no mention of firearms.

Last edited:

neuroblades

It would seem to me that the very least, this would constitue a breach of contract! They can't just deicde one day to forbid weapons where you have been residing for a period of time. Keep in mind as well that this isn't law, it's a "rule". LOL

hotrod

Well I found the Kentucky Uniform Residential and Tenant Act of 1974. I do not see where you could not allow a firearm, but read it over. Also, it says that no restrictions can be added to the lease unless the lessee agrees to the change in writing. Hope this helps. The ruling authority appears to be under KRS 383

Last edited:

aadvark

If The Kentucky Legislature catcehs wind of this they will pass a Law about this..., I guarentee.