Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: First Guaranty Bank

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Anywhere but here.
    Posts
    523

    First Guaranty Bank

    Got off work early today to go get a new atm card at the first guaranty branch in hammond across from Winn Dixie, had a brief convesation with the mgr and I asked her their policy on oc. I was not carrying at the time since I was quite dirty. Anyway her statement was I would have to talk to the main branch, but " If someone walks in here with a gun all the customers and employees will freak." I explained to her that oc is legal and the private property exceptions, however she didn't seem to hear me. Anyone else have any experiences with banks regarding oc?

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Baton Rouge, Louisiana, USA
    Posts
    545
    I have a friend in Zachary that has a CHP. He went into his bank and on the way out he saw a no gun sign on the door. There was a Zachary PD woman officer working the detail there and he asked her about it.
    "She knew him so it was friendly" She told him since he had a CHP he could carry in there with the sign.
    I told him never ask a LEO a gun question.

  3. #3
    Regular Member sraacke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Saint Gabriel, Louisiana, USA
    Posts
    1,222
    I have open carried in a couple of the Hancock Bank branches around Baton Rouge and nobody "Freaked" out about it. If they do it's there problem as far as I'm concerned. I'm there to conduct my business just like everyone else. As always it depends alot on the way you carry yourself, your mannerisms, how you are dressed adn even your firearm and style of carry. What I mean is, If you walk in with a semiauto in a nice leather or kydex holster at 3 oclock on your belt and you are dressed in nice slacks or clean jeans, a nice pull over or button up shirt and you have shaved and brushed your hair that morning then you are going to get less problems then someone who's dressed like they have been doing yard work all day and you have a wheelgun with a 6 inch barrel stuck in a old scruffed up leather hoster worn in a cross draw. As Mike and John have pointed out time and time again, it's about perception.
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie12 View Post
    I have a friend in Zachary that has a CHP. He went into his bank and on the way out he saw a no gun sign on the door. There was a Zachary PD woman officer working the detail there and he asked her about it.
    "She knew him so it was friendly" She told him since he had a CHP he could carry in there with the sign.
    I told him never ask a LEO a gun question.
    Because the LEO in this case was WRONG. Having a CHP does not give a CHP holder the right to carry in a place which has been posted as NO GUNS. In fact, he should have learned this in class. The NO GUNS / Gunbuster signs are directed at CHP holders as well as anyone else and if caught in that area he could have his CHP revoked by the State Police.
    So much misinformation out there. Even with a 9 hour class the CHPers still make these same mistakes. Imagine how hard it is with OC where there is no class requirement and vague or conflicting laws.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Independence, Louisiana, USA
    Posts
    54
    Quote Originally Posted by yale View Post
    I have open carried in a couple of the Hancock Bank branches around Baton Rouge and nobody "Freaked" out about it. If they do it's there problem as far as I'm concerned. I'm there to conduct my business just like everyone else. As always it depends alot on the way you carry yourself, your mannerisms, how you are dressed adn even your firearm and style of carry. What I mean is, If you walk in with a semiauto in a nice leather or kydex holster at 3 oclock on your belt and you are dressed in nice slacks or clean jeans, a nice pull over or button up shirt and you have shaved and brushed your hair that morning then you are going to get less problems then someone who's dressed like they have been doing yard work all day and you have a wheelgun with a 6 inch barrel stuck in a old scruffed up leather hoster worn in a cross draw. As Mike and John have pointed out time and time again, it's about perception. Because the LEO in this case was WRONG. Having a CHP does not give a CHP holder the right to carry in a place which has been posted as NO GUNS. In fact, he should have learned this in class. The NO GUNS / Gunbuster signs are directed at CHP holders as well as anyone else and if caught in that area he could have his CHP revoked by the State Police.
    So much misinformation out there. Even with a 9 hour class the CHPers still make these same mistakes. Imagine how hard it is with OC where there is no class requirement and vague or conflicting laws.

    Yale, the more you carry and the more you learn .... the more you see the amount of misunderstanding and ignorance (not trying to offend anyone with this word). I wanted to attend the meeting on the 7th, got called out on my job last minute...I was even traveling to Laplace when I got the call. When is the next meeting? sametime sameplace
    Last edited by Paul E. Blouin; 07-17-2010 at 04:03 PM. Reason: word

  5. #5
    Campaign Veteran XD-GEM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
    Posts
    722
    I've OCed in the Capital One branch nearest my house many times without incident. I think I would have noticed people freaking out as the place is usually crowded. It's also rare that a person with a gun will stand and wait their turn patiently if they're planning on robbing the place or causing mayhem (although it HAS happened as I recall from an internet posting a few years back).

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Anywhere but here.
    Posts
    523
    Quote Originally Posted by XD-GEM View Post
    I've OCed in the Capital One branch nearest my house many times without incident. I think I would have noticed people freaking out as the place is usually crowded. It's also rare that a person with a gun will stand and wait their turn patiently if they're planning on robbing the place or causing mayhem (although it HAS happened as I recall from an internet posting a few years back).
    That's a good point, yale too. I always make sure I'm presentable and carry myself accordingly, these are some of the points we toutched on when she and I spoke. She's no different than most I suppose, knee jerk no guns.

    Side note, got a real mean look from a hammond pd today in lablanc's. Went in with the 4 year old, jeans, grey local shirt and my glock 19 in a serpa level 2. Bought some sushi for the wife and headed for the register, only one open was right in front of the hpd who was at the liquor counter. Paid for my wife's sushi ( yuck) and chatted with the cashier about authors while she rang me up. Whole time Hpd officer glaring right at me, I tell you though if looks could kill.......

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Baton Rouge, Louisiana, USA
    Posts
    545
    Quote Originally Posted by yale View Post
    I have open carried in a couple of the Hancock Bank branches around Baton Rouge and nobody "Freaked" out about it. If they do it's there problem as far as I'm concerned. I'm there to conduct my business just like everyone else. As always it depends alot on the way you carry yourself, your mannerisms, how you are dressed adn even your firearm and style of carry. What I mean is, If you walk in with a semiauto in a nice leather or kydex holster at 3 oclock on your belt and you are dressed in nice slacks or clean jeans, a nice pull over or button up shirt and you have shaved and brushed your hair that morning then you are going to get less problems then someone who's dressed like they have been doing yard work all day and you have a wheelgun with a 6 inch barrel stuck in a old scruffed up leather hoster worn in a cross draw. As Mike and John have pointed out time and time again, it's about perception. Because the LEO in this case was WRONG. Having a CHP does not give a CHP holder the right to carry in a place which has been posted as NO GUNS. In fact, he should have learned this in class. The NO GUNS / Gunbuster signs are directed at CHP holders as well as anyone else and if caught in that area he could have his CHP revoked by the State Police.
    So much misinformation out there. Even with a 9 hour class the CHPers still make these same mistakes. Imagine how hard it is with OC where there is no class requirement and vague or conflicting laws.

    Yep some people just don't listen in class or read any of the law for themselves.
    And then the girl LEO at the bank was giving out false info too.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •