• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Onalaska shooter acted in self defense

Son_of_Perdition

April 19. Ronald Brady, 59, legitimately acted in self defense when he shot and killed Thomas McKenzie, 56, at a home in the 2100 block of State Route 508, Lewis County Sheriff Steve Mansfield said Monday....
McKenzie was at Mr. Brady's residence to commit a burglary, which is a felony. McKenzie had been at the residence earlier the same day and had, at that time, committed a burglary....
At approximately 9:40 p.m. Brady heard someone outside the residence and opened the door to look outside. He fired several shots at the tires of the suspect vehicle to disable it and immediately had two bright lights shining in his face from two separate directions....
Brady fired towards the lights to protect himself from a perceived threat....
Mansfield said a homicide is justifiable under state laws when the person acts in self defense when there reason to believe he is in danger.

http://tdn.com/news/local/article_5d14ebee-8df9-11df-843a-001cc4c002e0.html

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
ONALASKA, Wash. – The Lewis County Sheriff's Office says a man who shot and killed a suspected burglar in April was acting in self-defense and will not be arrested.

Thomas McKenzie, 56, was shot and killed the night of April 19 by the owner of the home, which was still under construction.

Detectives believe McKenzie and his wife burglarized the home earlier in the afternoon. The owner decided to stay there for the night to watch over it.
Later that night, detectives say the owner heard someone outside. He fired several shots at the tires of a suspect vehicle to disable it. The owner then suddenly had two lights shining in his face.

Full Story

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
  1. McKenzie had been at the residence earlier the same day and had, at that time, committed a burglary....
  2. At approximately 9:40 p.m. Brady heard someone outside the residence and opened the door to look outside. He fired several shots at the tires of the suspect vehicle to disable it and immediately had two bright lights shining in his face from two separate directions....
  3. Brady fired towards the lights to protect himself from a perceived threat....

Even though it was not said in the article, this type of statement could only derive from future investigation. In my opinion likely found stolen property in their vehicle or home with with interviews with the wife or girlfriend.

Then returning to the scene when it would be highly unlikely anyone that would be there.
When the vehicle was fired upon they were not in their vehicle and with flashlights in hand, hmmm wonder what that was all about?

The home being burglarized the night before, unknown uninvited vehicle in driveway, shinning flashlights at you when shots were fired at their empty vehicle and presumption of an immediate threat to life or limb.

I do not think I would have shot at their vehicle though.

I feel the Sheriff made a good call and not a best guess.