• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OCing in Candem County

rob1216

I will be heading to Sunrise Beach, MO from Nebraska and was wondering if it is Legal to open Carry here. Also can I open carry on a Motorcycle since that is what I will be on.
I would appreciate any info.

Thanks

Superlite27

How does a Google search resulting mostly in articles about a school teacher arrested for having a firearm in his vehicle on school property in Camden New Jersey help him, exactly?

(Note: Offering condescending advice in order to make another look stupid often backfires when said advice results in EPIC FAIL.)

Rob1216:

I did not find any results in Sullivan Publications or Municode (Missouri's online municipal code databases which cities voluntarily list their municipal codes on) but I can only offer Camden County Missouri's website that will allow you to call their courthouse: http://www.camdenmo.org/ or the non-emergency phone number to the Camden County Sheriff's office (573) 346-2243 which will allow you to ask them where you can find their municipal code.

You can open carry on a motorcycle, but NOT while travelling through any municipality that forbids it, therefore, I would only suggest you do so if you have thoroughly researched the laws of the cities you will be travelling through. Pian in the ass, I know. Welcome to OC in Missouri.

Festus_Hagen

How does a Google search resulting mostly in articles about a school teacher arrested for having a firearm in his vehicle on school property in Camden New Jersey help him, exactly?

(Note: Offering condescending advice in order to make another look stupid often backfires when said advice results in EPIC FAIL.)

COMMENT REMOVED BY MODERATOR FOR RULES VIOLATION: Personal Attacks

randyj

just an observation..but,

Glad your here to hold his hand. I wouldn't ever want someone to actually LEARN to do something on their own. Carry on o wise ass. :cool:

I have observed that you lack certain social skills that are requisite for effective communication. This is not to be interpretated for anything more than my observation from the other side of the fence.

rob1216

Thanks for the replies and the links
I do find it funny how this website is suppose to be a place to go and learn about OCing yet some people feel the need to be dicks about offering help on the subject. If you didn't have any useful information then why bother posting at all.

Festus_Hagen

I do find it funny how this website is suppose to be a place to go and learn about OCing yet some people feel the need to be dicks about offering help on the subject. If you didn't have any useful information then why bother posting at all.

Sorry, I was trying to educate you on the usefulness of Google and finding anything you may ever need to know. I'm sure the fine folks here will tell you whatever it is you are after. I mostly just look on my own, and was only trying to help you do the same. Sorry if I have offended you or you took it the wrong way, as it seems you did. Again, I'm sorry.

Good luck with your endeavors.

sohighlyunlikely

1st impression

We have actually recently acquired a few people here who are not pro open carry, and who's input generally ranges from unhelpful to just plain negative. Sorry if your 1st encounter was with one of these type's.

Doc

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
Open carry in MO is kind of weird.

It is legal in most places, but in the state law there is a provision for counties and cities to regulate it if they see fit. Around KC and St louis (the metro areas of these cities are kind of large so figure within about a 50 mile radius of the center while encompassing several cities and even a few counties, the regulations may differ significantly from one area to another. It can even be true that on the North side of the street it is legal and the South it is illegal.

Down at the lake you have Camdenton, Osage beach, Laurie, and Sunrise beach. It is possible any of them could choose to regulate it, however other than around the two large metro's KC and STL. very few counties choose to regulate much of anything, they just adopt and enforce state law. I would venture a guess that is exactly what all the counties around the lake area do.

Found a little help for you for two of the cities, you might just call and confirm at the other two how to obtain the ordinance books, they usually stick it in the "general" section. It is also not real likely that you will come across the usual freak out that happens in the more urban areas, lots and lots of hinting and fishing down in that area and seeing a man walking by the road with a shouldered scoped rifle is not uncommon either.

http://codes.sullivanpublications.com/camdenton-slp/

http://www.camdentoncity.com/government.htm

http://www.osagebeach.org/

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
OOPS, almost forgot

Tiny town, literally perhaps 100 yards in length, Macks Creek, WORLD FAMOUS for their speed trap. Speedlimit on highway, 60, through Macks Creek 45 and you had better slow down to 44 cause they WILL write you for 46.

I heard they were no more, you will go through it right before you get to Camdenton coming in the back side of the lake.

I have observed that you lack certain social skills that are requisite for effective communication. This is not to be interpretated for anything more than my observation from the other side of the fence.

Self professed know it alls with condescending attitudes seldom have good communicating skills.

sohighlyunlikely

my opinion is

Why would those types come here?:confused:

My opinion is that there are a some CCW licensees that believe that only conceal carry is an acceptable way to carry a firearm, and have come here to try to discourage OC in public. The info I have gathered from their posts here and mocarry infer that the reason they worry about OC at all is that the state has given the CCW holder the prevailed to CC and they are doing anything possible to keep any firearm issues out of the public eye. They have what the ability to hide a firearm on their person and their desire to maintain that privilege is more important than regaining infringed constitutional rights. That is my belief to why some of the CC crowd strongly dislike prominent public OC and do there best to bad mouth its use and discount it's importance.

Doc

Festus_Hagen

The tinfoil is too tight

My opinion is that there are a some CCW licensees that believe that only conceal carry is an acceptable way to carry a firearm, and have come here to try to discourage OC in public. The info I have gathered from their posts here and mocarry infer that the reason they worry about OC at all is that the state has given the CCW holder the prevailed to CC and they are doing anything possible to keep any firearm issues out of the public eye. They have what the ability to hide a firearm on their person and their desire to maintain that privilege is more important than regaining infringed constitutional rights. That is my belief to why some of the CC crowd strongly dislike prominent public OC and do there best to bad mouth its use and discount it's importance.

Doc

Lol... Wow.

Well if they are trying to discourage open carry in public, then they really aren't gun advocates at all. It shouldn't matter HOW you carry, just carry responsibly. I don't understand when people are one or the other and can't band together to fight for a common cause. :banghead:

Superlite27

Why would those types come here?:confused:

I dunno. Maybe, after achieving their goal of CC, they feel listless and irrellevant after success and are in need of another goal to work towards.

Some, who truly support the 2nd Amendment and desire to further the "cause" of complete firearms freedom, are welcome to use the skills they used in their successful campaign to get CCW in Missouri to help pass full pre-emption.

Others, who are elitist and hypocritical, will continue to spout the very things they complained about anti-gunners saying to them when they were fighting for CCW, and merge with the MSSA in order to fight for range protection, target shooters, and duck hunting so they can maintain their illusion of relevance.

It's the undecided ones I'm unsure about. It's almost as if they are in search of a cause to support, but are torn between that "scary" unknown of Open Carry and are unsure of how to proceed, or the warm familiar face of safety and old-codgerdom: standing around the pricey shotguns on the gun rack at their local gun club discussing the excitement of the next "noise disturbance" ordinance being considered by the local municipality.

If I had to guess, I'd wager much of the unwillingness to "join the cause" has alot to do with ego. Yup. Imagine being the spearhead of a group of folks leading the way. You've been a mover and shaker in the CCW movement since it's inception, have logged countless hours in Jeff City in front of legislators, in hearings, and have made a name for yourself for all you've done for CCW....and won.

Now Mr. Big-mover-and-shaker needs a cause. After all, he's a mover and a shaker.

But hold on. He's out of date. The next logical cause would be full firearms pre-emption.....but there've been folks open carrying for all the years he's fought for CCW. He would....he would have to join something he isn't the Big Cheese at. You mean he hasn't been the spearhead? You mean he's a....a.....A NEWCOMER? Screw that. He'll just take the Ruger Red Lable over to the skeet range where he's well respected.

Yep. Ego is a hard task master. It sure would be nice to have the experience of some of the folks at MoCarry. They've performed miracles and are to be congratulated. Unfortunately, I don't get the feeling that the people and the drive that would benefit ideals such as full pre-emption, campus carry, and other Missouri 2A issues is materializing. If anything, it's as I've said above. Listless wondering in search of a cause. Fragmentation. Lack of focus. "Woo Hoo! We've won! Got what we wanted, now let's kick back and see if that ol' Red Label still knocks down the sporting clays! What? Open Carry? Buncha' idiots wantin' ta' scare folks. To hell with 'em."

What a shame.

I dunno. Maybe, after achieving their goal of CC, they feel listless and irrellevant after success and are in need of another goal to work towards.

Some, who truly support the 2nd Amendment and desire to further the "cause" of complete firearms freedom, are welcome to use the skills they used in their successful campaign to get CCW in Missouri to help pass full pre-emption.

Others, who are elitist and hypocritical, will continue to spout the very things they complained about anti-gunners saying to them when they were fighting for CCW, and merge with the MSSA in order to fight for range protection, target shooters, and duck hunting so they can maintain their illusion of relevance.

It's the undecided ones I'm unsure about. It's almost as if they are in search of a cause to support, but are torn between that "scary" unknown of Open Carry and are unsure of how to proceed, or the warm familiar face of safety and old-codgerdom: standing around the pricey shotguns on the gun rack at their local gun club discussing the excitement of the next "noise disturbance" ordinance being considered by the local municipality.

If I had to guess, I'd wager much of the unwillingness to "join the cause" has alot to do with ego. Yup. Imagine being the spearhead of a group of folks leading the way. You've been a mover and shaker in the CCW movement since it's inception, have logged countless hours in Jeff City in front of legislators, in hearings, and have made a name for yourself for all you've done for CCW....and won.

Now Mr. Big-mover-and-shaker needs a cause. After all, he's a mover and a shaker.

But hold on. He's out of date. The next logical cause would be full firearms pre-emption.....but there've been folks open carrying for all the years he's fought for CCW. He would....he would have to join something he isn't the Big Cheese at. You mean he hasn't been the spearhead? You mean he's a....a.....A NEWCOMER? Screw that. He'll just take the Ruger Red Lable over to the skeet range where he's well respected.

Yep. Ego is a hard task master. It sure would be nice to have the experience of some of the folks at MoCarry. They've performed miracles and are to be congratulated. Unfortunately, I don't get the feeling that the people and the drive that would benefit ideals such as full pre-emption, campus carry, and other Missouri 2A issues is materializing. If anything, it's as I've said above. Listless wondering in search of a cause. Fragmentation. Lack of focus. "Woo Hoo! We've won! Got what we wanted, now let's kick back and see if that ol' Red Label still knocks down the sporting clays! What? Open Carry? Buncha' idiots wantin' ta' scare folks. To hell with 'em."

What a shame.

+100.............I do believe that you have hit the nail square on the head. Some of the so called movers and shakers and self appointed and anointed ones over on mocarry have more than once stated that OC is not one of their priorities or interest and so no support from them. Now they claim they have accomplished their goal of CCW so now they will merge with MSSA and still not support OC and I do hope they don't run MSSA into the ground.

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
The reason experienced firearms laws people do not tend to support OC efforts is because of the diverse attitudes and absolute loose cannon type people whom are involved in OC.

30 seconds of rampant stupidity can render a years worth of work moot.

When you couple that with the asinine reception they get from many of those concerned with OC , along with the stupid statements and inferred fear or lack of courage needed to OC, I would say the ego problem is a lot more prevailing on the OC side of the fence.

The absolute truth of the matter is simply that many involved in OC do not want OC bad enough to do what it takes to get it done and those that do are shot in the foot by other supporters.

It is a simple fact, you have to win the middle in order to get things done, second simple fact, you do not win the middle with extreme behavior.

You want to see OC for MO, stop insulting the CCW, the NRA, GOA, SAF, JPFO, Skeet shooters, Hunters, LEO's, Politicians and anyone else that might support the cause. There is a lot of attention on OC right now, the "get their attention" stuff worked already, but there is a window of opportunity that does indeed close and it is very likely it will close almost as silent as it opened and will actually result in less area to OC than there was previously because no one did anything beyond complain about no one helping.

This is a lot like a kid sitting in a mud puddle crying about no one playing with them and making mud pies, but every-time someone comes up to see whats going on the kid throws mud in their eye and starts whining about nobody being willing to play with them again.

Source: My own behavior, I consider myself near expert at alienating people, I know the traits.

Last edited:

cash50

I will be heading to Sunrise Beach, MO from Nebraska and was wondering if it is Legal to open Carry here. Also can I open carry on a Motorcycle since that is what I will be on.
I would appreciate any info.

Thanks

Doing any fishing while you're down?

rob1216

Doing any fishing while you're down?

No I wont be. I am heading down with the Combat Vets Motorcycles Association. We are supporting our Missouri Brothers who are having a Motorcycle Run to raise money for falling Troops and their families