• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Danville OC

proud_to_serveUSAF

How goes it guys and ladies. Just want to know if there's anyone on here around Danville and surrounding areas and if you'd be interested in getting together a monthly OC dinner or something. PM me or post on here and let me know.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
We used to have a Danville resident but haven't seen him for a while. I'm closer to Chase City and dragonfly is in Nottoway. That's about as close as I know of.

We've been talking about OC Dinners in the Southern region, we just haven't done it yet.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Pick the time and place, they will come.

Then ask for a sticky to keep it on top.

It only takes one person to start something like this - don't quit.
A snow ball starts as a single flake.

proud_to_serveUSAF

peter nap and Grapeshot, as a youngster... i can always count on your words for encouragement. lol appreciate it guys. I'm working hard here to get a movement started. I've got two friends who I know I've influenced at least somewhat and now OC a good bit. Many others are in the works. Mainly young men and women like myself as the elders usually brush me off as inexperienced and just young and foolish. But I will say, when presenting myself in an extremely professional manner and knowing the laws has helped with those conversations quite a bit.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
peter nap and Grapeshot, as a youngster... i can always count on your words for encouragement. lol appreciate it guys. I'm working hard here to get a movement started. I've got two friends who I know I've influenced at least somewhat and now OC a good bit. Many others are in the works. Mainly young men and women like myself as the elders usually brush me off as inexperienced and just young and foolish. But I will say, when presenting myself in an extremely professional manner and knowing the laws has helped with those conversations quite a bit.

Pick up some of the new blue (updated) VCDL info cards and keep them on hand to pass out to the uninitiated - avail at VCDL meetings and all of our OC breakfasts and dinners.

You're right appearance and demeanor play a big part in having your message accepted. Then you double up on them by knowing the laws. Keep up the good work. :exclaim:

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
My wife and I both OC and we're up here in Lynchburg. There's a gang of us that could probably do something down Danville way if you were to set up some something. Let us know how we can help! :)

1trumpet01

Hey

I live in Ringgold. Mostly cc, just don't like drawing any attention. As bad as Danville has become you better carry or take the chance of having problems.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I live in Ringgold. Mostly cc, just don't like drawing any attention. As bad as Danville has become you better carry or take the chance of having problems.

Welcome to OCDO - come to a meet-up and introduce yourself sometime.

While many of us OC for the obvious self-defense capacity, high on the list for a great number is the opportunity to educate and familiarize the general public with our rights. CC just doesn't do that - it is out of sight and out of mind.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
Welcome to OCDO - come to a meet-up and introduce yourself sometime.

While many of us OC for the obvious self-defense capacity, high on the list for a great number is the opportunity to educate and familiarize the general public with our rights. CC just doesn't do that - it is out of sight and out of mind.

Oh, how I wish those from my home state of Ohio could understand this concept rather than constantly begging the state for more privileges to carry concealed. It breaks my heart to read the tripe spewed by many against the few who dare to OC there.

proud_to_serveUSAF

jmelvin:

That sounds great. Please let me know if you guys have anything there also and we'll try to join. I don't know of but one place that I'm positive would let us have a dinner, but before I get back I plan on making some calls and trying to find more than one restaurant. I should be back around Aug 17th or so to VA so expect a PM from me with more info. Thanks for the interest.

trumpet01:

I used to CC when I first got my license mainly because I didn't know that OC was even legal. I actually didn't even know the average joe could get a license until about two months before I got mine haha. When I first started OCing, I was nervous as could be. I felt like everyone was looking and thinking "they have to notice this gun strapped to my waist." The more I did it, the more I realized that people rarely ever even take notice. Not to say I haven't had my run in with the anti's or LEOs. I got chewed real well one time by a bicycle cop in a pizza shop because "anyone could just grab it and run off with it and I'd never know!" Fat chance of that happening. But most of the time when people notice, I've found them to be very accepting, eager, and interested in learning more about the laws as most do not know them. A vast majority of people have told me they like to see people like us because they feel safer. I think I've only had one person ever say that they don't see the point and even then they weren't totally against it. I've found that knowing the laws helps tremendously when dealing with the public and police. And with the public it would probably help to know some of your local crime statistics too. Many people are so used to hearing the news talk about murder it doesn't sink in. But when they question why do you have it, and you can tell them did you know there was a shooting right down the road last night, etc etc. they start to see your reasoning. I'll be sure and let you know along with others when we're having any events or anything. We'd love to have you join us CC or OC. And if you're ever in Danville and want to meet up, PM me ahead of time and I'll see what I can do.

P.S. The advice about knowing laws and all isn't trying to belittle you or anything as I obviously do not know how long you've been carrying or what you do and don't know. Just offering up what has helped me.

1trumpet01

oc

I have no problem oc'ing. I just prefer to cc. that's all. Let me know when and where you plan to meet for dinner and I'll plan on being there. Some one here lives in or near Mecklenburg co. I had a small farm there about five years ago before moving to Danville.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
proud_to_serveUSAF please DO NOT call around places and ask them if it is okay to OC there or have an OC dinner. DO go to those restaurants on your own or with friends and family and act like any other human being walking in and having dinner and you will generally find you'll have no issue at all. When my wife and I started setting up dinners here in Lynchburg we went to places we knew had welcomed us previously while OCing, but again we didn't ask before going in even the first times eating at these places. OC is part of every day life for many of us and to make it the same for others be sure to treat your carried sidearm as a part of your wardrobe like a belt or shoes that you would wear normally anyway. I'm confident you'll find that when you act normally and don't make a business operator choose on receiving your money before you ever walk in you'll have very few hassles, which is just the way it should be. :) (BTW I have OCed at Ruby Tuesday in Danville with no issue as well as in other places, so give them a try sometime.)

Know that you are welcome at any of our events up here.

**Note: One thing I have noticed among at least one guy up here is that he likes to constantly "pet his piece". This unnerves me to no end and I'm used to being around guns, and I'm confident it does nothing to make those others around comfortable with him or his behavior. Keep in mind what you have on your side and act respectfully of others and don't unnecessarily handle your sidearm and things should be dandy.

proud_to_serveUSAF

jmelvin:

You're correct about the calling first. I didn't even really think about it that way. I never call when it's just me so I guess it shouldn't matter there's more than me haha. And I def know what you mean about the guy "petting" his gun. That would make me a little nervous if I didn't know him for sure. And I've been OCing for a little over two years now so I should be good. I've always been very aware of my actions while I'm out. I even try to store everything on my weak side pocket I'll need to get out while in public just to ease people a little more.

proud_to_serveUSAF

I have no problem oc'ing. I just prefer to cc. that's all. Let me know when and where you plan to meet for dinner and I'll plan on being there. Some one here lives in or near Mecklenburg co. I had a small farm there about five years ago before moving to Danville.

No problems there if that's what you like. And I will def. let you know when we do something here. How far away are you from Danville and any certain days of the week better or worse than others for you?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate

That's me...or is it, that is I?:question:

proud_to_serveUSAF

trumpet: sounds good. myself and another guy are meeting up at starbucks just to catch up and get a lil OCing in tomorrow night if you're around and you'd like to join. Probably around 5 or 6.

grapeshot: id be throwing a lot of rocks at richmond if i were closer haha

On a side note, I carried around town today as I helped my sister watch her kids. Had a LOT of googly eyes in chic-fil-a but no problems. I'm not sure if the officer there saw or not. If he did, he didn't act like it. Then was able to educate two of the employees at a small gas station after the "are you a cop?" "then how do you have a gun" question. So a decent day. No trouble and a lil edumercashion too.

MSC 45ACP

How very SAD...

Oh, how I wish those from my home state of Ohio could understand this concept rather than constantly begging the state for more privileges to carry concealed. It breaks my heart to read the tripe spewed by many against the few who dare to OC there.

Very sad and ironic that Ohio should have such Draconian gun laws. The HOME of the National Matches is Camp Perry in Port Clinton, OH and the location of the "Warm-Up match" the weekend before Perry (pistol phase, anyway) is held at one of the most beautiful ranges I've ever used in Canton (also home of the Football Hall of Fame). The folks at Canton-McKinley Range are friendly and run a great match (they ain't bad cooks, either)!