Thread: Daniel Boone National Forest

Daniel Boone National Forest

While reading up on various places to camp I came across one pdf not prohibiting weapons just their discharge, then I came across this one that very clearly states at the bottom that firearms are prohibited.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r8/boone/distri.../08beecamp.pdf

The offical DBoone website states this.
    Firing a gun is not allowed: (1) in or within 150 yards of a residence, building, campsite, developed recreation site, or occupied area; (2) across or on a road or body of water; or (3) in any circumstance whereby any person may be injured or property damaged.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r8/boone/law/rules.shtml
    Last edited by Sundiver; 07-16-2010 at 11:31 PM.

I would guess the ban only applies to that specific campground. Interesting find. I forget the position in charge of regulating firearms in DB National Forest. Anyone remember?

Outdated Brochure

The publication date is 2008. As we know the law was changed in 2009 to allow for the state laws to apply to the nat'l parks.
    He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent which will reach to himself. -- Thomas Paine (1737--1809), Dissertation on First Principles of Government, 1795

This National Forest is not a National Park, does the law apply to the forests as well?

As already mentioned, U.S. Forest Service and National Park Service are not the same, and the February change to NPS rules only applies to that agency and their property.

USFS, broadly speaking, adopts the gun laws of the state where they're located. They also impose some of their own rules, which generally included a ban on loaded guns in campground areas.

Yet the link I linked above says nothing about openly carrying a firearm or that firearms are prohibited at campgrounds. None of the other brochures ban firearms. I wonder if this is a case by case basis or simply a brochure that has not been updated?

Given that it's just an information sheet and not an official rule publication, plus the wording ("Campground Courtesy: ( . . . ) Obey the law. The following are prohibited here: firearms and fireworks, alcohol and illegal drugs, public nudity."), I doubt there is an actual prohibition on firearms.

A district ranger has wide latitude to make almost any rule he wants to, but breaking those rules isn't a crime.

Did you realize that the USFS operates shooting ranges within DB? That really doesn't jibe with any total firearms prohibition--at least not one that I would pay much attention to.