• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Daniel Boone National Forest

Sundiver

While reading up on various places to camp I came across one pdf not prohibiting weapons just their discharge, then I came across this one that very clearly states at the bottom that firearms are prohibited.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r8/boone/districts/london/08beecamp.pdf

The offical DBoone website states this.
Firing a gun is not allowed: (1) in or within 150 yards of a residence, building, campsite, developed recreation site, or occupied area; (2) across or on a road or body of water; or (3) in any circumstance whereby any person may be injured or property damaged.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r8/boone/law/rules.shtml

Last edited:

langzaiguy

I would guess the ban only applies to that specific campground. Interesting find. I forget the position in charge of regulating firearms in DB National Forest. Anyone remember?

KBCraig

As already mentioned, U.S. Forest Service and National Park Service are not the same, and the February change to NPS rules only applies to that agency and their property.

USFS, broadly speaking, adopts the gun laws of the state where they're located. They also impose some of their own rules, which generally included a ban on loaded guns in campground areas.

Sundiver

Yet the link I linked above says nothing about openly carrying a firearm or that firearms are prohibited at campgrounds. None of the other brochures ban firearms. I wonder if this is a case by case basis or simply a brochure that has not been updated?

KBCraig

Given that it's just an information sheet and not an official rule publication, plus the wording ("Campground Courtesy: ( . . . ) Obey the law. The following are prohibited here: firearms and fireworks, alcohol and illegal drugs, public nudity."), I doubt there is an actual prohibition on firearms.

A district ranger has wide latitude to make almost any rule he wants to, but breaking those rules isn't a crime.

Brian D.

Did you realize that the USFS operates shooting ranges within DB? That really doesn't jibe with any total firearms prohibition--at least not one that I would pay much attention to.