Thread: Embarrassed to ask

Embarrassed to ask

Well i am 50 years old and ex military but i still do not know for sure if i can carry openly in the city of Louisville without fear of Harrassment for Law enforcement. I understand there are places you can not carry open or concealed but what exactly are the laws here? i can't find anything spaciffic anywhere on line. Help please

OC is legal as long as you're legal to own a sidearm, point blank. Granted, there are places that you can NOT carry.

Check this out and it will tell you the specifics: http://www.lrc.ky.gov/krs/237-00/110.PDF

You'll want to skip down into it. Go down to 16 and then A-H (Places you can't carry either OC or CC)

And there's no need to be embarrassed to ask anything on here. That's what we're all here for, the bettering of ourselves and knowledge.
    Last edited by neuroblades; 07-17-2010 at 06:25 PM. Reason: Info added
    Got SIG? MOLON LABE

Quote Originally Posted by neuroblades View Post
    OC is legal as long as you're legal to own a sidearm, point blank. Granted, there are places that you can NOT carry.

Check this out and it will tell you the specifics: http://www.lrc.ky.gov/krs/237-00/110.PDF

You'll want to skip down into it. Go down to 16 and then A-H (Places you can't carry either OC or CC)

And there's no need to be embarrassed to ask anything on here. That's what we're all here for, the bettering of ourselves and knowledge.

and again you have my thanks

Not a problem.
    Got SIG? MOLON LABE

Thumbs up

I second that! The only stupid question is one that is not asked. I give my thanks to the thread started. This is what I liked see when I come here.

The only place I can find anything restricting open carry is...

http://www.kentuckystatepolice.org/conceal.htm

Where can I openly carry a firearm? Click here for answer

There are no Kentucky Revised Statutes that govern the open carry of firearms by persons who lawfully possess such firearms except for the following:

* 527.070 - Unlawful possession (whether carried openly or concealed) of a weapon on school property, except for certain specified exceptions.
    * KRS 244.125 - Which bars loaded firearms (concealed or otherwise) in places where alcohol is sold by the drink, except for certain specified exceptions.

If you have any questions on the open carry of firearms in the Commonwealth of Kentucky, including whether a particular mode of carrying a firearm would be deemed open or concealed carry, you may wish to consult an attorney.
    Now, I have a question. The Lincoln County Sheriffs Office has a "NO GUNS" sign on the door. Could they arrest me for open carrying inside or would the state preemption protect me from prosecution?

Yeah, sign is unenforceable. Here is my instance with carrying at the Sheriff's office.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...=scott+sheriff

After he spoke with the county attorney, he acknowledged my right to carry.

Nice, Thanks for the information. I still need to retitle 2 vehicles but Im waiting on replacement titles.

What to do

How about filing a writ of mandamus with the Circuit Court? The judge would have the authority to order the sheriff or mandate that the signage be removed. I'm not a lawyer yet, but I wish I were so that I could take officials like this to court and embarass the hell out of them. Of course, as soon as the sheriff is served the supeona he would take the sign down.
    Last edited by hotrod; 07-23-2010 at 01:26 PM.